PDA

View Full Version : Australia, US Sign Air Marshal Agreement.

lame
8th May 2004, 10:08
Australia, US sign air marshal agreement

ABC NEWS
Saturday, 8 May 2004

The governments of Australia and the United States have signed an agreement to provide armed federal marshals on board random Qantas and United Airlines flights between the two nations.

The agreement marks the next step in the expansion of Australia's $19 million-a-year sky marshal program which already provides security domestically and on flights to Singapore.

Federal Minister for Justice and Customs Chris Ellison has been joined by US ambassador Thomas Schieffer at Perth airport to announce their countries' intentions to provide the armed security.

Senator Ellison marked the agreement with the US as a significant step in airline security.

"This is a covert program. Our officers are highly trained, they are armed," he said.

"We believe that increasingly, countries are seeing the benefit of having such a program and that's why so many countries are now adopting it."

Sky marshals have been on domestic flights since 2001 and on flights between Australia and Singapore since late last year.

Chilli Muscle
13th May 2004, 12:01
More chance of a frog in your salad I would guess.

hadagutful
13th May 2004, 12:12
Great stuff......now that sky marshalls are on board, I will really feel safe and secure !!

Don't know about others but to me it is just an admission that ground checks and general pre-embarkation security are not up to scratch.
But I suppose governments/airlines have to cover their arses as much as possible.