PDA

View Full Version : Airbus' new Big ****** rolls out

richterscale10
8th May 2004, 06:59
What d you guys think about an aircraft carrying 500 - 800 passengers?
Apart from tech stuff like which airports will be able to take these things in the short term - wot about stuff like how many crew you'd need, keeping an eye on pax during I guess what will be long flights, crew CRM, time for pre-departure briefs, check-in times !!
Is this the real way forward??

What do you think?

scroggs
8th May 2004, 10:12
Unless you can find more slots at LHR, it's the only way forward for those of us based there!

MaxMet
8th May 2004, 11:18
Do the authorities not require that all pax and crew can vacate the a/c in a certain time limit? has this been tried yet.

I know that this held up the B777 getting under way in US.

M

Rollingthunder
8th May 2004, 12:54
I understand this first aircraft will never fly. It's to be used for ground testing only. Evacs will be part of that testing. Should be interesting off the upper deck.

KEPIT 2 YUSEN
8th May 2004, 13:29
It also needs a nice little coffee cup holder for each pilot before it goes anywhere.

Flightmapping
8th May 2004, 15:45
Is it not substantially more fuel efficient than anything else currently flying? That could come in handy with oil prices on the up.

How do its noise emmissions compare, say with a b747-400?

Torquelink
10th May 2004, 09:04
Flightmapping

A380 will be QC2 compliant which means quieter than most B744s. In order to get there, both RR and GE/PW had, apparently, to increase fan size beyond optimal for economics.

eal401
11th May 2004, 07:48
As I understand it, evac testing for the A380 has been underway for a long time, mainly using a mock-up at Cranfield University.

Low Fidelity
12th May 2004, 09:14
The widebody cabin sim at Cranfield isn't totally representative of the A380 but is loosley based around the door sill heights and cabin width etc.. so I don't think any of the research using it is directly linked with Airbus. It does however provide some good general research for the field.

Having had the opportunity to 'evac' down the upper deck slide a few months back I can confirm its a LONG way down and leaves the buttocks fairly toasty! Perhaps operators could open the aircraft up as fun fair rides during lengthy turnarounds to generate a little extra income? ;)

Low Fi

WHBM
12th May 2004, 09:56
its a LONG way down and leaves the buttocks fairly toasty
Maybe upper deck pax should be provided, alongside their lifejackets, with additional Superman-type underpants, to be worn on the outside of their trousers in case of need ??

Would make safety briefings before departure a hoot too !!