PDA

View Full Version : Men arrested 'trying to leave UK'

ZFT
8th May 2004, 02:15
From the Beeb.

"Three Albanian men found in the back of a lorry in Dover have been arrested on suspicion of trying to smuggle themselves out of the UK. French border control officers based at Dover stopped the lorry as it was leaving the UK on Thursday evening. The driver - an Italian man - was also arrested, as were another three Albanian men in London. This is the first time anyone has been arrested for attempting to be smuggled out of Britain, Scotland Yard say. The three men arrested in London are suspected of helping the men in their attempt to leave the UK. All seven are currently in custody at a south London police station. The Met's Operation Maxim detectives were supported by Kent Police and French authorities."

Am I alone is wishing this becomes a very common occurance?

peb
8th May 2004, 02:22
Looks like a good joke than nothing else.

:E

Desert Dingo
8th May 2004, 03:42
I guess that now they will be charged, tried, convicted of something-or-other and then deported. All at great taxpayer expense.
It would probably have been smarter to give them some sandwiches and wish them bon-voyage while waving good bye! :D

av8boy
8th May 2004, 05:55
I left the UK once. Perhaps I should turn myself in?

Buster Hyman
8th May 2004, 06:14
You know you've made it as a country when the refugees try to flee!

TURIN
8th May 2004, 11:21
Begs the question, Why did they want to leave and why sneaking out?:confused:

Engineer
8th May 2004, 11:49
Probably had a stack of forged UK passports and completed DHSS forms for family, extended family and friends plus Uncle Tom cobbly and all. :{

Along with a signed photograph of Blair and Blunkett's dog :D

Formally Known As
8th May 2004, 11:55
Remindes me of the cold war and the communists states.:}

hamusandtahini
8th May 2004, 13:44
Typical your all moving to brisbane anyway ain't ya? :{

airship
8th May 2004, 15:51
If the French authorities were also involved, these Albanians may have been upto no good...as opposed to just being fed up with washing up after you lot in one of the many jobs "to be filled in the UK's service" sector. UK citizens currently enjoy the opportunity to travel freely to most countries. Fast-forward a few years: the UK has since left the EU after an overwhelming vote against an EU Constitution; the Bank of England can no longer manage to keep the £ sterling tied to the US$; Exports from the UK to EUrope are now subject to import duties; International investors abandoned the UK long ago, even car makers like TVR having relocated to Poland; a 4 bedroomed house in Chelsea now costs as much as a 2 up/2 down in Gdansk. Interest rates sky-rocket, the £ is worth € 0.75. UK passport holders now require visas before visiting EU countries...

..."...men found in the back of a lorry in Dover have been arrested on suspicion of trying to smuggle themselves out of the UK. French border control officers based at Dover stopped the lorry as it was leaving the UK..."!

Laugh at other's misery while you can... :}

takenthe5thamendment
8th May 2004, 16:17
I guess I'm not paying enough tax to fund their benefits so they can afford a legitimate ticket outta here! :rolleyes:

Ozzy
8th May 2004, 20:36
Err, why weren't they arrested fer trying to smuggle themselves into Froggie Land???:confused: They could be enjoying escargot, beuf bourginon, and creme caramel, in the Hilton wing of Abu Calais nick, tw:mad:ts

Ozzy

Unwell_Raptor
8th May 2004, 20:56
People are arrested at Heathrow every day while trying to leave on false papers. Most of them want to go to Canada.

BoeingMEL
8th May 2004, 21:06
Looks like they started to plan their escape on the day that President Blair announced his intention to stay on for another term. Coincidence or what? bm

ssultana
9th May 2004, 00:40
i think it was the weather. tempted to get in the back of the next lorry to andalucia myself.

pigboat
9th May 2004, 01:28
Tell the authorities at Heathrow to keep up the good work.

None of the above
9th May 2004, 08:54
According to today's edition of 'The Sunday Times' these three individuals are being questioned by Knacker of the Yard in connection with the murder of a fellow Albanian in Hove, Sussex earlier this month.

Animalclub
9th May 2004, 15:03
N O T A

That name is a wind up isn't it... you're just horsing around!

X-QUORK
9th May 2004, 16:47
Good old Airship, never misses a chance to bash the Brits...nothing if not predictable.

airship
10th May 2004, 15:32
Just to add a little joy to your day along with some others X-QUORK, you'll be ever so glad to know that my parents are currently enjoying a state pension in UK after spending most of their productive years overseas. I still have a brother and sister in UK who pay taxes. However, I pay all my taxes in France, so presumably do not contribute a farthing...! That should make you all feel a little worse. Or perhaps reconsider your stance on (legal) immigration. On the other hand, I imagine that some of my taxes go towards the retirement enjoyed by some of the National Front voters here, which may offer some consolation to you. I don't mind, in fact, I feel quite good supporting them, it merely reinforces my own principles. And it's much more preferable to have to live with people expressing distressing views in the open, compared to the ingrained and private racism that my parents experienced in the UK back in the '70s. Which in great part lead to their reliance on state-aid afterwards.

BTW, in case you accuse me of hijacking this thread, others already did it before me in the service of their own narrow-minded views of the world.

A big welcome to (legal) immigrants...! And that they stay, if only to pay towards others' retirements. :ok:

X-QUORK
10th May 2004, 20:41
Flaps,

Point of conduct....would you mind having a word with Airship with regards his flagrant rule-breaking, surely calling other PPRuNers racists is a bit beyond the pale?

"On the other hand, I imagine that some of my taxes go towards the retirement enjoyed by some of the National Front voters here, which may offer some consolation to you."

Airship,

This isn't the first time you've accused other PPRuNers of being racist because they have differing views to your own. Why don't you get down off that high horse and stop making such a silly spectacle of yourself....it really is pathetic. And for what it's worth, I couldn't care a gnat's chuff where you pay your taxes.:hmm:

dbromle
10th May 2004, 21:20
Immediately prior to the election of Mrs Thatcher, Britain's GDP per head was 41% lower thanFrance's and 46% lower than West Germany's. The latest OECD figures show that Britain now has a higher GDP per head than either, and as Britain is growing faster than the Euro area the gap is widening. Perhaps we should just feel pity for poor Airship

airship
10th May 2004, 21:20
Order, order, let's have some order here...! :)

Who's calling who what around here?!

What exactly don't some people like? That I pay taxes or that their taxes in general go into a big pot which supports everyone in old age or just those suffering from temporary hardship in life, regardless of who or what they are...?! I don't exactly enjoy paying taxes but it does give me some comfort to know that I do in some small way, pay towards the retirement of those who may have little regard for my ilk. It's merely a result of the unwritten contract I have with my fellow men or perhaps something our Keef could elaborate on... :=

dbromle, don't feel pity, send me your money! :D

Synthetic
11th May 2004, 00:18
I can only sympathise with them. I assume as the quality of life continues downwards here, this will become the norm.

X-QUORK
11th May 2004, 11:17
I take it then from the lack of Moderator response that calling other PRuNers racists is totally acceptable. Fair enough then.

Careful everyone, there's another contributor on this thread from France (no names, don't want to get personal) who has branded anyone who dares to have a different opinion on asylum seekers and immigration policy as being racist.

surely not
11th May 2004, 11:24
X-Q not sure where Airship is supposed to have called you or anyone else a racist??? I took his comment to mean National Front voters in France.

A tad sensitive aren't we?

Wholigan
11th May 2004, 12:06
So did I Shirley, that's why I haven't done anything about it. And X-QUORK, if you don't approve of the moderation in here, complain to Danny!

To repeat a post from the ME thread posted by the JB Mods (that means all of us):

If you think that a post contravenes the JB ROE, use the 'report' button. (I know you did.)
If you think the Mods of this forum get it wrong, mail Danny.
If the above doesn't bring you joy, you obviously disagree fundamentally with PPRuNe editorial policy.
You are free to leave.
This place is not a democracy & threads are not to be hijacked by some of you to argue about editorial direction.
If you can't live with that, PPRuNe is not the place for you.
Simple really.

X-QUORK
11th May 2004, 13:57
OK, let's just look at Airship's comment again in more detail...

"On the other hand, I imagine that some of my taxes go towards the retirement enjoyed by some of the National Front voters here, which may offer some consolation to you."

The part that caused me to become a tad sensitive was the "....which may offer some consolation to you." This implies that I would be pleased that Airship's taxes are helping to pay for the retirement of National Front voters. What are National Front voters if not racist? Therefore, Airship is implying that I am pleased his taxes benefit racists, and therefore that I find the support of racism a good thing, and therefore if I support racism would that not be the same as being a RACIST? Does that help any?:ugh:

Wholigan
11th May 2004, 16:47
OK then – I can see where both of you are coming from now and it is possible that there is also some misunderstanding here (benefit of the doubt time). Whilst at first glance, your quote:

"On the other hand, I imagine that some of my taxes go towards the retirement enjoyed by some of the National Front voters here, which may offer some consolation to you”

Could be read as “ you must support the NF and – therefore – you must be racist”, it is also an incomplete quote because in the next sentence airship says:

“I don't mind, in fact, I feel quite good supporting them, it merely reinforces my own principles.”

Also at first glance this seems astounding, coming from one who holds very strong “anti” views of racism. However, read on because airship then says:

“And it's much more preferable to have to live with people expressing distressing views in the open, compared to the ingrained and private racism that my parents experienced in the UK back in the '70s.”

Now, there is possibly some argument to support this view, as it is surely arguably true that it is better to have such organizations out in the open where their actions and views can be monitored, rather than having them in hiding? I am not saying that I agree with this viewpoint, merely that it could be logically supported. So maybe airship was suggesting that you held these same logically supportable views, rather than that you were racist. I confess that I can not read airship’s mind and so I do not know if he meant that or not. (Suggest – for the sake of harmony – that it is “benefit of the doubt time again”.)

Incidentally airship says also:

“ …. that I pay taxes or that their taxes in general go into a big pot which supports everyone in old age or just those suffering from temporary hardship in life, regardless of who or what they are...?! I don't exactly enjoy paying taxes but it does give me some comfort to know that I do in some small way, pay towards the retirement of those who may have little regard for my ilk. It's merely a result of the unwritten contract I have with my fellow men .....”

- which gives a slightly different slant on and insight into his meaning -

However, it is also possible that he was merely reacting to the following posts:

Good old Airship, never misses a chance to bash the Brits...nothing if not predictable.

- and –

This isn't the first time you've accused other PPRuNers of being racist because they have differing views to your own. Why don't you get down off that high horse and stop making such a silly spectacle of yourself....it really is pathetic. And for what it's worth, I couldn't care a gnat's chuff where you pay your taxes.

both of which could be construed as being close to “playing the player and not the ball”.

This is a distinct possibility for his reason to single you out, as you 2 have crossed swords on the topic of perceived accusations of racism before, and it took me some time in the search facility to discover this, time I would rather have spent doing other things incidentally.

So --- what do we do now? We are all human and tend to react to perceived slights and accusations to varying degrees. As we generally and genuinely value your contributions to JB, and as we do not like “turf wars” here, it might be time to allow "benefit of the doubt" again and - even if you think there is no doubt - it is definitely time to put this one behind us. Therefore:

How about a pact of “I won’t deliberately post things that could be perceived as definitely designed to get up your nose”, signed by both of you. In return, I shall undertake to deliver a firm slapped wrist to the first one to break the pact. Actually, to ensure you keep the pact, I’ll arrange for Flaps to deliver the telling blows. OK?

X-QUORK
11th May 2004, 17:11
Fair enough Wholigan, I appreciate you taking the time to look at this in such detail. As we are all ultimately guests on Danny's site I'll follow your advice and leave the matter well alone, although I find it a shame that it's come to this. I feel more confused than ever now about what constitutes fair play on the forum, but there you have it.

Wholigan
11th May 2004, 18:32
Sorry if you are confused X-QUORK, but we do our best to maintain equal treatment. Being human though, we will - of course - miss or mis-read some nuances.

airship
12th May 2004, 15:22
I've been considering whether or not to add anything, rather than let the matter lie...

Firstly, I should thank Whoilgan for giving me the benefit of any doubt. And for spending all that time looking into the matter on X-QUORK's request.

Before the label of being the PPRuNe "Brit-basher" sticks, I would like to offer an explanation of my posts in this thread for everyone else who may be feeling confused:

ZFT began this thread Men arrested 'trying to leave UK' ending with "Am I alone is wishing this becomes a very common occurence?". There are a number of ways one can interprete this ending... and most replies were jovial. My 1st post here: If the French authorities were also involved, these Albanians may have been upto no good...as opposed to just being fed up with washing up after you lot in one of the many jobs "to be filled in the UK's service" sector. UK citizens currently enjoy the opportunity to travel freely to most countries. Fast-forward a few years: the UK has since left the EU after an overwhelming vote against an EU Constitution; the Bank of England can no longer manage to keep the £ sterling tied to the US$; Exports from the UK to EUrope are now subject to import duties; International investors abandoned the UK long ago, even car makers like TVR having relocated to Poland; a 4 bedroomed house in Chelsea now costs as much as a 2 up/2 down in Gdansk. Interest rates sky-rocket, the £ is worth € 0.75. UK passport holders now require visas before visiting EU countries...:} was intended to be:

1) a somewhat cheeky riposte to remind people, if they needed reminding, that even the most fortunate amongst us are not where we are solely due to our own efforts. To spare a thought for why others feel compelled to leave their homelands and come to places like the UK. To remember that "There go I but for the grace of God...".

2) contextual in view that an overwhelming number of Brits would probably vote "NO" in a referendum on the EU Constitution tomorrow, which hypothetically could one day mean the UK leaving. As someone else later said, Brits today have a higher GDP per head than either the French or Germans. Good reason for everyone who wants "out"?! Think back to the late '70s, when Britain's GDP per head was about 40% lower than that of either France or Germany. "Thanks, Jacques, I'm alright now, so I'm off...!"

This the point where I have become a "Brit-basher" according to X-QUORK.

In reply, I wrote: Just to add a little joy to your day along with some others X-QUORK, you'll be ever so glad to know that my parents are currently enjoying a state pension in UK after spending most of their productive years overseas. I still have a brother and sister in UK who pay taxes. However, I pay all my taxes in France, so presumably do not contribute a farthing...! That should make you all feel a little worse. Or perhaps reconsider your stance on (legal) immigration. On the other hand, I imagine that some of my taxes go towards the retirement enjoyed by some of the National Front voters here, which may offer some consolation to you. I don't mind, in fact, I feel quite good supporting them, it merely reinforces my own principles. And it's much more preferable to have to live with people expressing distressing views in the open, compared to the ingrained and private racism that my parents experienced in the UK back in the '70s. Which in great part lead to their reliance on state-aid afterwards. :ok:

Apparently, the contentious part of that post is: On the other hand, I imagine that some of my taxes go towards the retirement enjoyed by some of the National Front voters here, which may offer some consolation to you.

1) I offer no apologies to those who adhere to the philosophy that all immigrants are obviously "here to scrounge off Social Security and the sooner they are gone, the better off we will all be". Also, I know that Albanians come from another part of Europe, though being a very poor relation. I didn't know that Albanians were considered another race... :} but correct me if I'm wrong.

2) some National Front voters here are "racist", others just want immigrants to go home because "they take our jobs" or consider that they are "here to scrounge off Social Security and the sooner they are gone, the better off we will all be". I know a few who belong in the latter category. They are not at all racially prejudiced, just fed up with how many here (which includes Frenchmen) take undue advantage of a generous social security system with few controls. I work with someone who has been claiming unemployent benefit on behalf of his brother who has been in the Caribbean all winter...! Which is why I have no qualms about my taxes contributing to the pensions or other upkeep of FN voters here, 99.99% of whom are peaceful in their actions.

X-QUORK is very quick to accuse me of considering him a "racist". Anyone who shares that assumption should also consider how their comments with regard to this type of subject may be interpreted in a wider context. I can see why X-QUORK could be upset. Nobody likes being lumped into the category representing the lowest common denominator. Neither do I...

BTW, there is another on-going thread concerning old '70s BBC comedy shows and racist comments. "Love Thy Neighbour" reflected life pretty well in those days. And probably did more to help people come to terms with the influx of immigrants then than any speeches by politicians. As long as those who watch the reruns bear in mind that it reflects life as it was then, they should laugh without being subjected to an edited version. On the other hand, people who deliberately entitle a new thread "Black Bas*ards" in 2004 deserve all the attention they get...!

It was never my intention, in any of my posts within this thread, or any other elsewhere, to accuse my fellow Brits of racism. What I intended in reality, was that the individuals concerned would react and then reaffirm their commitment to supporting the underdog. Which is the truest definition of being British.

That is all. Dismissed! :O

ExSimGuy
12th May 2004, 16:45
Immediately prior to the election of Mrs Thatcher, Britain's GDP per head was 41% lower thanFrance's and 46% lower than West Germany's. The latest OECD figures show that Britain now has a higher GDP per head than either, and as Britain is growing faster than the Euro area the gap is widening. Perhaps we should just feel pity for poor Airship

Was the GDP 100% higher than that of France and W.Germany after Thatcher and before Blair, and has just come down to just "higher" - I surely can't believe that the combined efforts of Thatcher and Blair have had that effect :eek:

Come back Maggie - all is forgiven! :)