PDA

View Full Version : Cathay medical Q?(Merged).

AAflyer
4th May 2004, 22:19
Hello all,

New to the board, have left Flightinfo. Just sent my app to Cathay and hope to receive an interview.

5500 TT
1000 B767/757 FO time and type on the ATP
1000 B737-800 FO
600+ MD82/82 FO
2000 in SF-340s and BE-1900s.

Currently fly for American and will not be furloughed, but I am burning out in this place.

Curious about the medical. I have a large hearing loss in my left ear. Hold a first class with NO waiver, and made it though the AA medical.

All comments appreciated. This seems like a great board.

Take Care and Fly Safe,

AAflyer

g92
7th May 2004, 14:11
Hi,

Does anyone know: (sure they do that's why I'm asking!) The medical done in Hong Kong at the second interview: was that a full medical for the issue of a class 1 Hong Kong CAD?
What then happens once you start with your course for second officer.....(of course I know it is only valid for a year)

Ta

AAflyer
7th May 2004, 14:35
Thanks so much for all the respnses:(

AA

skypeeper
8th May 2004, 02:12
AAFlyer

The HKCAD Class One medical is a helluva lot different than the FAA one, I hold both but compared to the FAA one the HKCAD puts you through more in depth hearing as well as sight tests....and not one where you face a wall with your back to the examiner either. They put these headphones on me and told me to listen for any 'wheeeeeing' noises and as soon as they became audible I should let them know. Ok, now less of me and more of you.

They didn't test individual ears with me, the headphones were switched on for both ears and stayed that way through the entire test. Your best source for medical requirements for the HKCAD would be to ask an approved HKCAD medical examiner. Or if you email the HKCAD they will reply to you in a week or so (they did for me when I fired a few Q's at them).

Try also checking the medical forum here on pprune, I hear that there's quite a few posts on the HKCAD medical there too. Otherwise, try these out:

Dr. Frank O'Tremba (he's a really nice guy, does KA and CX crew medicals)
email: [email protected] attn: Dr. O'Tremba

Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department
http://www.info.gov.hk/cad/english/main.htm

Good luck and I hope this helps :p

peeps

AAflyer
8th May 2004, 18:23
Peeps,

Thanks so much for the info, will get on it Moday. Thanks again.

Take Care,

AAflyer