PDA

View Full Version : 110/hr for sitting in your car? I'll have some of that

_spanky_
7th May 2004, 14:04
I was just shown an invoice which was part of a planning appeal. There was an access issue and so, in their unquestioned and immeasurable wisdom the planning officers decided that they needed to see a local traffic survey on the quiet country lane.

The person used came from nearly 200 miles away and charged:
110/hr (9 hours, only 3 of which were traffic survey with the rest being travel)
50p per road mile travel expense above and beyond the 110/hr
Turns out the guy had to come to the area anyway to visit his mother. Just what the person picking up the tab wanted to hear, wouldn't have wanted to put the guy out of his way

angels
7th May 2004, 14:41
That's fecking outrageous. Whoever picks up the tab should just refuse to pay this surely?

Stockpicker
7th May 2004, 14:53
not based in the midlands are you spanky ? just in case I am acquainted with the culprit ...:\

_spanky_
10th May 2004, 19:09
No, this particular robbery occurred in the Eastern Counties.

Seeing as you are aquainted with those in the trade, perhaps you could explain how anyone could justify 110/hr + expenses for travelling to and from a job? I would still consider it an outrageous fee for the service, but could rationalise it. But 140/hr (averaging 60mph) for travelling from A to B?? :} :mad:

Noah Zark.
10th May 2004, 20:21
The surveyor wasn't Richard Turpin, perchance ? ;)

Evening Star
10th May 2004, 22:39
Surveyors earning 110/hours. Sounds like a work of fiction to me. For those fees try the lawyers...

_spanky_
10th May 2004, 23:06
I assure you it was the invoice from the "surveyor" (person paid exorbitant sums of money to count cars passing a given point in a given time window)

If this gentleman worked 35hrs/week, 48 wks a year he would earn nearly 185,000, and from what I can deduce with no real amount of training required

Dale Harris
11th May 2004, 06:20
If they were stupid enough to pay it without looking at alternatives, then good luck to him. He deserves it. You ask what you think you are worth in the general climate. If someone pays it, good. If they don't, you shift or change your price. Simple really.