PDA

View Full Version : Thanking flightdeck crew

Gentle Climb
7th May 2004, 09:53
Having been a passenger recently on a flight where the flightcrew handled a situation with great professionalism (yes I know that I should expect it !) I wanted to thank the crew concerned. However, at the time I was reluctant to tell them face to face as I got off as I felt that they would simply want to go home at the end of a long W pattern and also because I didn't want them to think that I am/was/maybe some sort of anorak/nutter who thinks he knows how to fly aircraft because he can land on MS flightsim!
Having e mailed the airline concerned I did receive a standard response mail back but I was just wondering how likely customer service departments are to pass the 'thankyou' on and if so, does it really matter to the crewmembers concerned. Apologies to anyone who takes exception to the facile nature of the question!

Thanks

MANTHRUST
7th May 2004, 10:24
You're welcome glad to be of service to at least one grateful passenger. But as you said that's what we're there for.
It was that flight I operated last week you mean was'nt it?

Tudor
7th May 2004, 11:00
Speaking as cabin crew, at the airline I work at, if customer services receive a complimentary letter about a member of crew or indeed the whole crew it is forwarded on to the relevant crew member/s and also their line managers. A copy is also placed onto the crew member's personal (personnel?) file. I would imagine the same procedure applies for flight deck crew as well.

Obviously I can only speak for myself but if someone had taken the time to write/email a complimentary letter about me I'd be quite touched and feel that I must be doing something right!

greatorex
7th May 2004, 11:44
Really nice to read a post like that. Thanks for taking the time Gentle Climb.

Yes, we do occasionally get thanks passed on but not as often as we used to. Then again, maybe the letters don't come as often as they used to in the good ol' days of FD visits. . . But we've already done that one to death. . . . :D ;) :D ;)

Cheers,

G

willfly380
7th May 2004, 11:58
hey gentle climb thans bud . we once had a violent isfd due to a birdhit at rotation which resulted in all readings out of the tach and noise so deafning it could be heard even in side the airport. on that occasion we recieved the compliments from the pax and infact they even put it up on the board.[through customer service]

mrsmaryhinge
7th May 2004, 12:08
What a nice post - good on you Gentle Climb! At BA, we are encouraged to 'say goodbye' to the pax at the front of the cabin with the cabin crew.

Can't speak for others, but to me it is great to hear a word of thanks. It is much less common than you may think, and at the end of the day, we are all human, and a smile and a thankyou is much appreciated. Next time why not ask to pop into the flight deck? After shutdown, visitors are always welcome, and all of the good skippers can always spare a couple of minutes for a chat.

Cheers...

Mary

pax britanica
7th May 2004, 16:07
I think ts a nice touch that BA flight crew take the time to say goodbye to those of us who ride in back. This was standard practice for many years at Delta in the US in the days when they were a better airline than today and traded rather heavily on the 'friendly Southern folks' approach.

I also think its nice to say thanks for a comfortable flight or a nice landing or pleasant commentary from the flight deck and good for passengers to see they person behind the @captain Speaking ' voice from the flight deck.

A good few years ago I was on Delta trip from Atlanta to Bermuda- a sector I flew many times and on this especially nice day they descended the lovely TriStar to I suppose 1500 feet and flew downwind along the spectacular Bermuda south shore before flying a gentle curved approach all the way down almost to touchdown- a fabulous view and really nice flying experience for the passengers.

As I got off I thanked the rather veteran looking FO and asked if he had flown the sector. He was pleased someone had noticed and confirmed he had. I responded was he ex US Navy ? ( many DL crews were) which brought a bigger smile and another Yes- why had I asked? I said it felt like a carrier style approach and he grinned and just said it was great to fly to a quiet place like Bermuda on a lovely day so they could genuinely fly the aeroplane-it was a while back and I suspect he has retired now along with the TriStars -always my favourite
PB

JamesT73J
7th May 2004, 20:46
When I travelled to South Africa in September '01, the domestic and international flights with SAA were really enjoyable, and the crews (both in the cabin and over the PA) seemed really enthuastic and very chatty - "Always a pleasure to experience the ATC at Heathrow" (on the way out) "This is Toulouse where they make the Airbuses", "This is Bloomfontein where they make great wine" etc. The domestics were similar, with the Captain smiling and waving as people walked to the terminal past the nose of the aircraft.

I too felt a bit self-concious thanking the crew as nobody else seemed to give a toss, but it's nice to see people enjoying what they're doing.

Returning to Gatwick recently with Britannia, 25 minutes early, the crew got a pretty loud round of applause They looked pretty surprised, in the cabin, and I thought it was a bit of a shame they probably couldn't hear anything up front.

Bubbette
7th May 2004, 21:16
I usually thank the cockpit crew for getting me there and back in one piece.

Globaliser
8th May 2004, 11:42
If you really want to get a "thank you" home and you're prepared to spend some effort finding the details, a letter written to the head of department concerned (rather than just to customer relations) is a surer bet. I did this for a cabin crew member in a Big Airline based in London. Not only did I receive a personal letter in reply from the head of cabin services, I heard independently that the cabin crew member concerned was shown the letter in a friendly and pleasant chat with their line manager.

RUDAS
8th May 2004, 13:41
You're right,thats probably the best thing to do.

On another tack,What are the feelings about applase by the pax on landing?.I've been pax on many flights in africa where this seems to be customary.sounds like a good way of thanking the pilots (unless its some tribal ritual thanking the gods you're still alive):E

never happened to me before (and not because of the quality of my landings,mind you!) but sounds like a good way to say thanks all the same?:cool:

Boss Raptor
8th May 2004, 14:38
Always remember that on Ghana Awys flights to Accra they all clapped on landing...

And once on a Monarch flight 3-4 years ago 757 BJL-LGW where it was last flight of the Captain and the Senior FA was his wife, both retiring...it was announced after take off and a great atmosphere...(MON guys/gals probably know them, luvly couple)

Maybe we should have a PPrune forum for that...after all all these good flights go unannounced and the praise is so anonymous

Mods/danny pls note :ok:

Joles
8th May 2004, 19:17
Thank you, you wonderful people,
For making my day on the flight,
From getting me that cup of wine,
To switching off the reading light

Thank you to all of you in the fl/ deck
For making each flight so nice,
For not just taking me along my way
But making it feel so fine

I know its a hard job out there,
But I know you're doing your best
And if I can ever sleep easy
It's because you're there to take care of the rest.

Hey all you Fl/ Deck and Cabin Crew that I've flown with in India and abroad - A VERY BIG THANK YOU !

YA
Joles

Jordan D
10th May 2004, 13:16
If you're lucky, the crew are also members of this wonderful site and see your message too (as happened to me last December after I placed a thank you note after a flight from LGW-RAK (Marrakech))

Jordan

PAXboy
10th May 2004, 14:33
When I was commuting to Munich (98~00) I used LH for 95% of the trips. Upon landing at MUC, once they had turned off the active and started the taxi, the Captain would often say "Welcome to the free state of Bavaria!" which was followed by enthusiastic applause from the cabin. You will not be surprised to learn that he only said this in German! :hmm:

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

EDDNHopper
11th May 2004, 20:03
If have mixed feelings about clapping. It is one way of thanking those up front, but, after all, flying an aircraft is not a circus or theatre performance.

A personal word, if given the opportunity when leaving the airplane, or a short written note or even a letter when one found the flight being exceptional and/or the service being extraordinary, is, in my humble view, a more appropriate form of expressing a "thank you", and always welcome by the crew.

pilotwolf
11th May 2004, 22:13
Always found it difficult to say thanks to a particular CC member without looking like I m coming onto them or sounding corny...

But always say thanks on disembarking and if someone/crew was particularly helpful then I would write to airline.

My most recent letters have been combination of both - I ve had problem during flight or related to flight but also the crew have been exceptional in trying to sort problem, so although I ve had reason to complain I ve also had reason to complement the crew... wonder if in this type of situation the compliment is passed on?

PW

TightSlot
12th May 2004, 09:33
This thread seems to have highlighted the (rather pleasant) fact that in your view, some Airline staff are doing the right thing well. It has also highlighted the fact that many Airline staff don't often get to hear your positive feedback, and enjoy doing so when it happens (who wouldn't?)

I've started a new thread in this forum (Airline Staff - Going The Extra Mile) and made it sticky, as a slightly less ad-hoc method for continuing this process. If it looks like it is being used appropriately, then the word will soon spread to Airline staff in the other forums that this is a thread worth checking from time to time.

I'm aware that there is a point of view that may say that there should be a balancing sticky thread, possibly Airline Staff - Turkey of the Month! to recognise those (few hopefully) who are at the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm inclined to feel that there already exist sufficient outlets for you to deal with this, including starting your own threads: Therefore, I intend to moderate the "nice" thread fairly strictly to maintain positive feedback only.

I hope you all agree, and look forward to your future postings.

EDDNHopper
12th May 2004, 19:15
A brilliant idea, thanks! :ok:

737James
13th May 2004, 03:41
I went to Cyprus last year from LTN with Air 2000 but it was a Skyservice aircraft and flightdeck crew on arrival at Larnarca the crew came out personally said thank you to everybody and wished them a pleasant holiday also on arrival back in the uk they were still really friendly and chatty asking about peoples holidays even though it was 5am and they had just completed an 11hour day.
It really impressed me and was a nice touch made both companies look very friendly and good.