PDA

View Full Version : Islands and Canadian ATPL

hibypassratio
6th May 2004, 14:57
Cold Canuck seeks warm work.

I'm curious if any of the islands accept a Canadian ATPL, or do they all require either FAA or JAA? :confused:

Which islands accept FAA, and which ones JAA?

Cheers.

Panama Jack
6th May 2004, 15:28
I've heard that the Turks & Caicos require FAA certification. There are some that will validate a Canadian license. Some are completely off limits to non-Caribbeans (ie. Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Trinidad & Tobago) while the French posessions (ie. Martinique) have the basic French/EU requirements.

Ray Darr
7th May 2004, 08:48
Turks & Caicos Islands accepts Canadian and FAA licences. You write a B.S. Aviation Law exam and they cut you a local licence based on your home licence. Make sure your medical is valid!

Also - watch who you work for there. At least one character is a real nut-case. Do a search and you will see who.

Good luck if you go there (T&CI). Before you arrive, remove the rose-coloured glasses, 'cause it ain't Paradise City. Just remember it's what you make of it. If you love sand and the beach, it is quite a nice place. The water truly is first-class for any activity. Want to build hours? It is also a nice place. Want to test your patience on anything you are used to back home? Again, the T&CI is the place for you! :D

As for Jamaica - the tourism board does a wonderful job of hyping that god-forsaken place way higher than it deserves. Stay well clear in my opinion. As far as I am concerned the only redeeming thing that came from Jamaica is Reggae music. Be well warned about going there. It is too bad Jamaica has made such a bad rep for itself - there are SO many more nicer places elsewhere in the Caribbean that have such wonderful people to deal with and fantastic scenery, too. Skip Jamaica, once again in my opinion.

Cheers.

İhris
14th May 2004, 00:31
Anyone know of other countries that will validate a Canadian License?

How about a Canadian CPL?

Do I stand a chance of finding a job with my Canadian CPL and 250hrs?

Thanks for any info..

Cheers

Chris

Panama Jack
14th May 2004, 04:49
Do I stand a chance of finding a job with my Canadian CPL and 250hrs?

Very doubtful.

Wadadli
14th May 2004, 21:09
For info check DCA Antigua (http://www.oecs.org/DCA_WEBsite/dcahome.htm) .

Most charter operations in the Eastern Caribbean are single pilot, hence often minimum 1500h-2500h with some twin time (not a fresh rating).

Good luck, Wadadli :cool: