PDA

View Full Version : Reputable flight schools.

P51 mustang
6th May 2004, 14:17
Good news! The oldman has decided to foot the bill for my ATPL. I was wondering if anyone could give me a list of the most reputable/ internationally recognised flight schools in the U.K.
Secondly, some universities offer integrated degree courses in Air Transport Operations with an ATPL. Would I be better off enroling on one of these? The reason I ask this is because I've heard alot of pilots complain that if they fail their medical they're stuffed, where as this would provide other oppurtunities within the industry. If I choose the integrated degree route, do airlines have a preference in terms of universities?
All replies will be greatly appreciated

carbonfibre
6th May 2004, 15:46
I can tell you 2 to avoid

IFTA in Florida and the flight centre in the UK. owners have a lot in common

Look up threads on this web site

:ok:

Flying Boat
7th May 2004, 09:22
Atlantic in Coventry.

They have a link with Delta Connection in Florida.

I was told when looking, by an Oxford rep, there are only 4 to look at, Oxford, Atlantic, BCFT (Bournemouth) and Bristol (I assume for Ground School then the other Bristol school for flying).

Good Luck, its tough but worth it.

FougaMagister
8th May 2004, 12:58
Nice of Oxford to mention Atlantic Flight Training. Can't comment on the others, of which I have no direct experience, but I would add Flight Training Europe (ex-BAE Systems Flight Training Europe) in Jerez, Spain - yes, it's a British FTO - which have a good setup and prices including accommodation/full board.

Cheers

birdlady
9th May 2004, 14:32
Hello there!!!

P51 mustang ... You lucky lucky person having your old man sponsor you. Do not quote me on this but if you can afford it from what I have heard oxford is your only way to go. Having said that, I have recently read a couple of threads on who to choose and whether any school get preferable treatment in the job market and the answer was this: No - as long as you have got the qualifications its okay. ( I cant remember the name of the thread but it was by career girl). Somehow I find this hard to believe but that is what was said.
As regard to doing Modular or Intergrated I think I would choose Modular as I know at least for the oxford one you save a little bit of cash and you actually come out with more hours. I would recommend however that you get a class one medical before you even consider doing this as you will save yourself a lot of heartache.
I presume that you dont have a ppl yet. I would highly recommend you come out to South Africa to do this and your hour building. Its an ICAO PPL so you can do a JAA CPL on it. I have recently done my JAA PPL here in SA and unfortunately they went bankrupt and they were the only ones who offered JAA in the whole of africa - OOOPPPS. Because of this I had to do my SA PPL and found it a much more practicle course. Please no one shoot me. If you do decide on SA stay away from Global Flight Training based in Rand Airport (owners of bankrupt JAA school).
You will save yourself some bucks and will gain memorable experiences out here.

Well ... hope this helps

hifive11
9th May 2004, 16:57
The thread by career girl 'A question for the professionals' is at this immediate time, one above yours (it is a sticky). It is extremely informative and you should read it.

I would also suggest reading the 'Do you really want to do this' which is also in the Professional Pilot Training Forum by deathcruzer (still at bottom of first page). It is long but I think essential reading for anyone wanting to go down this road for a future career.

Hopefully these two threads will help you with your research into the start of a great future. Enjoy

By the way I went down the integrated route and found that having a PPL was no great advantage. I would suggest however, that if you haven't already tried it, get down to your local flying club and get a couple of trial lessons/flights to see if you actually like flying enough for the tough but fun time ahead.

Hi5

er82
10th May 2004, 13:47
Couldn't agree more with Hi5. I didn't have a PPL before I started at Oxford, so just had a few 'fun' flights to make sure it was really what I wanted to do. I haven't looked back since. As far as picking the best school, you really should visit all of them, meet the people who work there, and decide for yourself.
Oxford have excellent ground training, with a brilliant set of notes and feedback questions, and the flying instructors are top-notch. Now that there aren't any BA cadets there, I think the old "sponsored students get priority for a/c" has long gone.
Wherever you decide to go, work hard and play harder!!!!

grafity
10th May 2004, 22:15
Do you want to switch daddy's