PDA

View Full Version : Music Quiz Missing In Action

scran
6th May 2004, 13:05
Sorry Guys,

As you will know (and Cooda reminded me over a drink the other night....thanks mate - had a great time!! :ok: ) there was no quiz this week>

I'm away on secret assignment again this week (SITTING IN a hot and balmy location typing this..sweating like a pig - no offence Jim!!) but hope to have an offering available next monday.

Till then, hope you are all well.....regards from East Timor.....:E

Scran

Binoculars
6th May 2004, 14:16
Hope we get the answers to the last one. First post I've made for months on the music quiz and the whole thing died; talk about killing threads! :(

tony draper
6th May 2004, 15:28
Heres a one fer yers, whats the only instrumental ever to be banned from the radio for being to suggestive?

:rolleyes:

Snifferdog
6th May 2004, 15:38
j'taime moi non plus....Wheres me prize?:D

Binoculars
6th May 2004, 15:41
Was that really an instrumental? :ooh:

ooh ahh oh and I'm really sure I heard an ah oui in there somewhere............

Snifferdog
6th May 2004, 15:51
It was instrumental in getting banned...................M'wuhahahahahahahahahahahah:D (well I thought it was funny)

Binoculars
6th May 2004, 15:58
The midnight sun must be about to appear over the horizon; what other excuse could there be for such hilarity?

:ok:

tony draper
6th May 2004, 16:01
Nope that wasn't a instrumental,even though it was in foreign.
Do yers give in?

;)

Binoculars
6th May 2004, 16:03
The Stripper, by David Rose?

Snifferdog
6th May 2004, 16:06
I was so sure I was right..but I concede:\

tony draper
6th May 2004, 16:07
Nope one more chance and one shall claim victory.

Binoculars
6th May 2004, 16:09
One concedes defeat also..........

Snifferdog
6th May 2004, 16:16
Wait a minute!!! I think I may have "Rumble"d it. I just need a "Link";)

tony draper
6th May 2004, 16:19
Very well, "Rumble 1958 by Link Wray"father of the power chord, a pure guitar instrumental, consisting mainly of two power chords played in a suggestive manner with lots of tremolo,apparently the afore mentioned Link Ray was a favorite among cons and juvenile deliquents of that era,and the record was banned from radio play many States in the USA ,not to confused with the Guitar instrumental by the Shadows of the same title, recorded in the late sixties.
One is willing to bet that this question will appear in ten thousand pub quizzes in the next few months.

Ones life is complete, one has utterly defeated the music experts of proon.

OH BOLIX!!beaten by three seconds,aaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhhh :{

Snifferdog
6th May 2004, 16:23
Wahooo!!!(Opens Champagne! and hands arounds glasses to quizmaster and all participents):D

Binoculars
6th May 2004, 16:27
One always attempts to answer music quizzes using one's own store of useless facts. One thinks Google is an abomination when taking quizzes, as opposed to the ultimate resource site for my daughters' school assignments.

A good question, Mr D, but how do you know it was the ONLY instrumental to fit the qualifications? As a setter of questions for numerous Trivial Pursuit nights, I know that the phrasing of the questions has to be spot on to avoid annoying objections from the ferals in the audience.

As an example, I pose this question, which I have unfortunately asked in Pprune before, so some smartarse will do a search and find the answer; Who is the only Australian to hit 36 runs of a six ball over?

(Err, that's cricket, Mr D)

tony draper
6th May 2004, 16:30
One is hurt Mr Binos one did not get said question from google,however one is a little suspicious that google may have been involved in the answering of same, but one shall withhold judgement on that, got it from a very knowlegable person on a guitarist website.

Binoculars
6th May 2004, 16:36
Binos hastens to assure Mr D that the Google suggestion was certainly not aimed at the questioner......

tony draper
6th May 2004, 16:41
Tiz indeed sad that google has replaced general knowledge and a head stuffed full of trivia and facts rather in the manner that the calculator has replaced the ability to do mental arithmetic, would you believe it, some people on proon actually use calculator results in their posts Mr Binos?

Binoculars
6th May 2004, 16:48
I find that hard to believe, Mr Smart... .err, Draper. But given the results of a recent survey which showed that over 60% of Year 8 students coud not multiply by ten without using a calculator, perhaps I will have to concede the point.

I confess that once the answer gets past two decimal points I have to resort to one of the confounded machines myself.

DishMan
6th May 2004, 16:58
(Sorry for contributing to the threadjack := )
Mr Draper won't like this :E
DM kids being educated in the French system all have mental arithmetic hammered into them.
Timestables by rote, mental arithemtic multiplication etc very highly hammered home :ok:
Told them next time they visit great grandfather they should ask him about mental arithmetic training.
He had to add up telephone directory number listings just by running a finger down the list. (OK so they were maybe only 4 figures) but boy can he do mental arithmetic!

tony draper
6th May 2004, 17:23
As was Drapes generation,although one admits in Drapes case, there was much hammering and very little going in.
One used to be very good at spelling once, difficult though that may be to believe now, we were taught to say the word phonetically in our minds, ie, pluhemgee for phlegm, it worked fine for many years but all the brain cells in that part of ones brain have gone to their reward one thinks.
We were also taught to read and write in our early school years that seems to be optional now.

Snifferdog
6th May 2004, 17:30
Me using Google??? I would never risk upsetting "serious" quizmasters.;) Anyway try this: http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz.cfm?qid=53567&origin=http://www.funtrivia.com/dir/152.html

Binoculars
6th May 2004, 17:32
Pluhemgee??????

My phonetics teacher would have been surprised had anybody come up with anything better than flem, and the fact that she couldn't explain why it wasn't spelt flem explained why phonetics didn't work.

IB4138
6th May 2004, 18:38
Had three years of non-maths education from the real life husband of Nora Batty.

If you didn't do your homework, you wrote out the "preface" for the maths text book by next day and that doubled if you missed it. You did not have to do the homework! ie no maths.:ok:

One character wrote out 20 prefaces on a bog roll, rather than do his homework for a week....and he got away with it!

pigboat
6th May 2004, 21:12
Geez scran, thought you'd joined the flat earth society and had fallen off the edge. :uhoh:

Which North American song from the early '60's was initially banned from airplay in Britain because it supposedly glorified suicide?

tony draper
6th May 2004, 23:03
Was it the one about the lady bemoaning the fact that one Billy Joe Macallister jumped off the Talahassi bridge(sp?)

One might be tempted to leap from a bridge also if ones mum had called one Billy Joe.

Sailed with a Jock Macallister once,the strange thing being he was Welsh.

pigboat
7th May 2004, 00:48
Sorry Tony, no seegar.

Simtech
7th May 2004, 05:29
Was it, perchance, Leader of the Pack by The Shangri-las?

IB4138
7th May 2004, 07:23
Simtech

Wasn't there also a Brit record "Terry" that befell a similar fate about that time?

The words and subject were along similar lines.

"Please wait at the gates of heaven for me" is the one line I recall.

pigboat
9th May 2004, 20:56
The song was "Tell laura I Love Her" by Ray Peterson. I have no idea why since the guy commit suicide, he just wrote himself off in a car race.

Mr Chips
10th May 2004, 11:14
was not B Bumble and The Stingers' instrumental "Nutrocker" banned?

If so, why?

tony draper
10th May 2004, 11:50
Hmmm, one can still hum Mr B Bumbles Nut Rocker if called upon to do so, one was not aware it had been banned,if so, possibly because it was a rip off of a bit of classical music?such things were frowned upon in those days,classical music being patented or summat.

pigboat
10th May 2004, 21:32
Hmmm..dunno about that one.
Je T'aime Moi Non Plus, the version with the moans and groans, was banned from airplay in parts of North America. The straight instrumental version by Paul Muriat was deemed to be acceptable. In my corner of the assylum we got the French version, complete with heavy breathing and all. If you coldn't get laid after dancing to that of an evening, you probably had one eye, excess body odour and bad breath.
There was a lot of black music that didn't get much airplay on white stations back in the 50's. Pat Boone - of all people - did a bunch of covers of Little Richard hits that were deemed acceptable for white audiences. P!ssed Little Richard off no end. :D