PDA

View Full Version : Air League Bursary

Another St Ivian
6th May 2004, 09:29
It's perhaps a little early on so far this month, but just wondering if anyone who applied has started to get any feedback?

Cheers,
ASI

Pole Hill
6th May 2004, 11:00
Another St Ivian,
I applied for the 5-8hrs flying bursary too. I have not heard anything yet, but the winners of the 2004 Flying Scholarships have been announced though. Maybe we will know soon...
Keep checking here (http://www.airleague.co.uk/sp-winners.html)
POL.

Another St Ivian
7th May 2004, 13:08
I got a big letter through the post from them this morning, but it was just their magazine/AGM notes. Still waiting.....

ASI

JohnnyPharm
10th May 2004, 21:36
I won an 8 hour bursary last year, and have to go to meet the Chooky Edinburgh next week in London. It is a great boost to get 8 hours flying free.

Another St Ivian
20th May 2004, 21:03
*bump*

Anyone got anything yet?

ASI

topunicyclist
21st May 2004, 21:33
The letter last year confirming that I was to be awarded a bursary came in the first week in June, if that's any help.

crazypilot
25th May 2004, 15:55
Anyone heard anything yet?? Has anyone applied for a second time (I never got anything last year, don't know what they expect me to write on the application form which will convince them I am skint!!!!)

CP

LazyBoy
26th May 2004, 15:50
Emailed the Air League yesterday and they said that they were hopefully going to send out letters to winners and those not so lucky some time this week.

Good luck everyone

Pole Hill
27th May 2004, 09:21
Thanks LazyBoy.
Looks like we'll all probably know early next week. I was going to email them myself, now I don't have to! :)
POL

Another St Ivian
7th Jun 2004, 11:04
Sorry, just bumping it back up again...

Any heard anything at all yet?

ASI

LazyBoy
7th Jun 2004, 12:03
No, I'm still waiting. I presume they're just late sending the letters out.

BritishGuy
8th Jun 2004, 01:48
i hate to say this. And boy- I wasn't born with a silver spoon or anything (far from in!) I'm in debt.....5 figures worth of flying debt. But 8 hrs of flying bursury, and people are excited and looking forward to it with joy. This is kind of a sick industry I think.

Yeah just wanted to add-if its towards the PPL or CPL then all the more power to you I guess....but if its after the CPL/IR then Oh BOY....need I say more.

Another St Ivian
8th Jun 2004, 08:07
BritishGuy:
Far from it actually. I am looking towards getting this bursary so I can do a Night Qual. for my own satisfaction, enjoyment and development within flying. If needs be I will pay for it, but why not apply for a bursary and see how I go?
I have no intention of taking up a career in civil aviation and am not banking on this to help me along the CPL/IR/fATPL/etc etc route.

ASI

BritishGuy
8th Jun 2004, 10:28
I actually think I should appologise for my comment made above. I think I was feeling frustrated and well, being kinda jobless with the licences, I was feeling like another 8 hours.....heck another 100 right now won't make me any more hireable!

Every little counts I guess!

mcmarkib
8th Jun 2004, 13:52
I am in the same boat as ASI I want it for a night rating for my own self satisfaction and enjoyment.

Have not heard anything yet however.

Good luck to all!

ACW 335
9th Jun 2004, 13:46
Anyone applied for the Diana Britten Aeros Schol?

I was going to apply for the Air League bursary but never got round to it (I wanted to do my night rating as well after doing one trip at night and getting totally hooked!!)

LazyBoy
9th Jun 2004, 14:35
Would have loved to have applied for the Diana Britten Aeros Schol but unfortunately don't really meet the requirements.

Don't suppose anyone knows of anything similar that us gentleman pilots can apply for?

Pole Hill
11th Jun 2004, 16:31
I have been awarded a flying bursary! :) Thank you Air League! :ok:
Has anybody else?
Anyway, back down to the ATPL theory :{
A very happy Pole Hill :cool:

ACW 335
11th Jun 2004, 17:16
Lazy boy, i havent actually seen any for gents. You could apply for the DB one - tell them you used to be a girl!

Penguina
12th Jun 2004, 11:24
Yup, I got the letter yesterday! I was very excited, probably out of proportion, yes, you're right British Guy, but these little things keep you going when you're doing a boring low-paid job to try and pay for thousands of pound's worth of pilot's licence...

It was a real boost, though I might have to negotiate an extension of the 30th September deadline for completion of training if I'm going to use it to get a night rating - not sure.

:D :D :D
Woo hoo!

PS - have not been able to find anything on the Diana Britten Schol... am I looking in the wrong places?

jollypilot
12th Jun 2004, 14:27
got one too! also disproportionately happy, but i dont care!!

got it to do tail wheel differences training on a cap10 - so one very heppy young man!

thank you Air League and well done to all who got one awarded!

jolly pilot

ACW 335
12th Jun 2004, 14:37
Penguina,

Go to Diana Britten Scholarship (http://www.dianabritten.com/scholarship.html) for info. on the DB schol.

Not sure whether you are M or F, but bear in mind its for ladies/girls only!

Penguina
14th Jun 2004, 13:01
Thanks for that ACW!

Was definitely a girl last time I checked so think I'm all right on that front... :)

ATP_Al
14th Jun 2004, 15:44
I got one too! Just as well, as I wasn't really in the mood for another rejection letter after sitting my first seven ATPL exams! ;)

Might have the same problem as penguina tho - I asked for the bursary to start my CPL module and I can't start that until I've passed all my exams (mid-September at the earliest)!

Al

Penguina
14th Jun 2004, 16:49
ATP - gave them a ring today and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Perhaps you should phone and explain your predicament; they seem pretty understanding about the, er, unpredictable nature of aviation training. :)

Suppose they would be, come to think of it, given who they are! (Duh, Penguina! :rolleyes: )

ACW 335
2nd Jul 2004, 16:48
Penguina - did you apply for the aeros achol. in the end?