PDA

View Full Version : Saaf C-160z Flying?

BAKELA
6th May 2004, 09:27
Hi there guys and gals,

On Sunday 25 April, while sipping a cold Castle at home I saw a C-160 routing what could have been Waterkloof - LAV - GAV -?????. The camo was in the same state as the ex-SAAF fleet that's parked at Kloof so I'm convinced it was an ex-SAAF machine.

Have ocassionally seen Luftwaffe and Armee de la Air (?) C-160's at Jo'burg and this was not one of them.

And, Gunns, it was my first Castle and I saw many C-160 in thooose days. :E

Deanw, ...anybody....any info??? Maritime patrol project....??? Re-inventing the wheel...???

Curiosity kills the cat. Have a nice one.

Bakela

Deanw
7th May 2004, 08:31
Hmmm .... :confused:

Can't say for sure, but after 10 years in the sun, they are not in good condition. Despite the requirement for additional transport aircraft, I think it will cost too much to bring them back into service :suspect:

Politicians and their budget decisions :{

Sorry Bakela, I think it's time to go back to the frostie :ok:

warloc67
7th May 2004, 08:39
Bakela

To the best of my knowledge the 7 C160's are still on the ground at FAWK. The SAAF has had offers of purchase for the aircraft (Libya??) except for the one at Swarries at the museum, but the Froggies put paid to those plans through the end-users certificate.

The C160 at the museum was system checked by running the APU a while ago and to everybodies suprise most systems stilled checked out.

Still it is a sad sight to see these beautifull ladies of the sky fading away under the Southern sun.:{ :{

Regards

Warloc67

The Claw
7th May 2004, 16:36
"To the best of my knowledge the 7 C160's are still on the ground at FAWK."

"except for the one at Swarries"

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Does this mean that BAKELA is correct and the ninth one is flying?

:E

warloc67
10th May 2004, 07:50
The Claw

Alas that is not the case, the Transie at Airforce Base Swartkop has been transferred to the SAAF Museum and is only on static display. There are no plans to get it back to flying condition due to lack of funds.:{

Regards

Warloc67