PDA

View Full Version : Top Gun

BahrainLad
5th May 2004, 21:02
.....is just starting on BBC3.

What a movie!

(Title credits rolling, just broken into "Danger Zone".....fab!)

mattpilot
5th May 2004, 21:06
I prefer 'hot shots' :ok:

"I'm going to disney world!!!"

reynoldsno1
5th May 2004, 21:26
Complete load of b*ll*cks...little Tommy must be the most unconvincing actor, ever.
Enjoy...:zzz:

BahrainLad
5th May 2004, 21:42
To modify a famous statement:

"Anyone who watches Top Gun for the acting is simply missing the point."

AerBabe
5th May 2004, 21:53
BBC3? You're obviously not a REAL fan, or you'd have it on Betamax. :ok:

_spanky_
5th May 2004, 22:23
From "Sleep with me":

Sid (Tarantino's character): "You want subversion on a massive level. You know what one of the greatest scripts ever written in the history of Hollywood is? Top Gun."

Other Random Character: "Oh, come on."

Sid: "Top Gun is great. What is Top Gun? You think it's a story about a bunch of fighter pilots. ... It is a story about a man's struggle with his own homosexuality. It is! That is what Top Gun is about, man. You've got Maverick, all right? He's on the edge, man. He's right on the line, all right? And you've got Iceman, and all his crew. They're gay, they represent the gay man, all right? And they're saying, go, go the gay way, go the gay way. He could go both ways."

ORC: "What about Kelly McGillis?"

Sid: "Kelly McGillis, she's heterosexuality. She's saying: no, no, no, no, no, no, go the normal way, play by the rules, go the normal way. They're saying no, go the gay way, be the gay way, go for the gay way, all right?

"That is what's going on throughout that whole movie. ... He goes to her house, all right? It looks like they're going to have sex, you know, they're just kind of sitting back, he's takin' a shower and everything. They don't have sex. He gets on the motorcycle, drives away. She's like, "What is going on here?" Next scene, you see her, she's in the elevator, she is dressed like a guy. She's got the cap on, she's got the aviator glasses, she's wearing the same jacket that the Iceman wears. She is, okay, this is how I gotta get this guy, this guy's going towards the gay way, I gotta bring him back, I gotta bring him back from the gay way, so I'll do that through subterfuge. I'm gonna dress like a man. All right?

"That is how she approaches it. ... All right, but the real ending of the movie is when they fight the MIGs at the end, all right? Because he has passed over into the gay way. ... And they're beating the Russians, the gays are beating the Russians. And it's over, and they land, and Iceman's been trying to get Maverick the entire time, and finally, he's got him, all right? And what is the last line that they have together? They're all hugging and kissing and happy with each other, and Ice comes up to Maverick, and he says, 'Man, you can ride my tail, anytime!' And what does Maverick say? 'You can ride mine!'"

Unwell_Raptor
5th May 2004, 22:33
I love the way that the F14 pilots look over their shoulders to try to spot the bad guys.

What a stunningly bad movie in every way except for the pretty aeroplanes.

Ozzy
5th May 2004, 23:26
Didn't Tom Cruise join the Church of Scientology so he could learn to pilot an F14 for the movie:E :E ;) :p

Ozzy

dash8driver
6th May 2004, 05:29
spanky

And what is the last line that they have together? They're all hugging and kissing and happy with each other, and Ice comes up to Maverick, and he says,'Man, you can ride my tail, anytime!' And what does Maverick say? 'You can ride mine!' "

that last bit had me in stitches............:D

Rich Lee
6th May 2004, 06:03
That's pretty arrogant considering the company you are in.

maxy101
6th May 2004, 07:42
He obviously feels the need...

lasernigel
6th May 2004, 08:35
Is the reason they fight MIG's because it stands for Men In Genderbender Syndrome?

airhead10
6th May 2004, 09:56
Top Gun!! What a load of old codswallup! :yuk:

Remember well my dear old dad, (ex-R.A.F. pliot and ex-CO of a certain Middle Eastern Strike Command), watching this spluttered his whisky water everywhere when he saw the sign over the gates which said something of the order of "Through these gates pass the finest pilots on earth" Refused flatly to watch any more :suspect:

tony draper
6th May 2004, 10:00
Didn't some RAF types alter a similar sign somewhere?,altering pass to piss.
Have to agree, biggest load of cack ever to insult celuloid,right up there with Pearl Harbour,I doubt if even the cousins would trust a feckwit like our hero to paint the white lines on the end of the runway.
:rolleyes:

Tim Inder
6th May 2004, 10:59
During my misspent youth, I must have watched this about a million times, and I reckon that what they actually say is this:
Ice : "you can be my wingman anytime"
Mav: "No, you can be MINE!"

Now where did I put my thermos? :8

con-pilot
6th May 2004, 15:13
Dang it all _spanky_, I just thought it was a really good picture with airplanes and great music and stuff. Now ya went and ruint it!

But I still say the opening sequence of “Top Gun” is still the greatest of any movie. We had a party at a fellow pilot’s house one afternoon and he had the movie on VHS. After more than a few adult beverages we put the movie on, turned the speakers on the entertainment system to full blast and started the movie.

When the F-14 went to afterburner and the music increased in volume all of the speakers blew out! But we still had a great party, beer, swimming pool, easy women, ah the good old days!
:{ :{

BombayDuck
6th May 2004, 15:20
Thank you Tim, you beat me to it.

I know that it isnt the most factually correct movie on earth.

But for heaven's sake, it is a MOVIE!

:rolleyes:

And when it comes to the aircraft scenes - there's enough eye-candy!

To paraphrase the above paraphrased phrase (er... :confused: )

"Anyone who watches Top Gun for the acting, is the kind who buys playboy/girl for the articles"

:D

Had a conversation with my sister a long time back...

Her: "What is your favourite plane?"
Me: "The F-14, its called the 'Tomcat'"
Her: (Blank face) "Oh"
Me: "Remember Top Gun? Thats the plane Tom Cruise flies in the movie"
Her: "Oh...." (Eyes light up at the mention of Tom Cruise, voice fades...)
Me: "You weren't watching the movie for the jets, were you?"
Her: :D

Biggles Flies Undone
6th May 2004, 15:25
I was so impressed with the bit where he flew inverted over the Mig and took a photo. Tried it in a PA28 but everybody screamed at me..... :ooh:

cessna l plate
6th May 2004, 21:15
That's pretty arrogant considering the company you are in.

I like that in a pilot

The Filth
6th May 2004, 21:32
con-pilot
But I still say the opening sequence of “Top Gun” is still the greatest of any movie.

Even the opening scene of The Sound of Music is superior to the American gung-ho bullshit portrayed in Top Gun.

As is...

Wholigan
6th May 2004, 21:40
Sorry --- I know mods ain't supposed to express personal opinions in their own forum ----- BUT:

Top Gun is - without doubt - the most gopping and puke making movie I have ever had the misfortune to see!!!

:E :E :E

360BakTrak
6th May 2004, 21:52
'Gopping'????!!!! You didn't spend your youth at a UAS by any chance did you?! :}

Wholigan
6th May 2004, 21:56
360 ------- yuk --- nah got sons :D ;)

Rollingthunder
6th May 2004, 22:23
Well I thought Kelly McGillis walking into class was one of the best 6 seconds in film history.

Magoodotcom
7th May 2004, 01:14
<Remember well my dear old dad...>

airhead10

No disrespect to your dear old dad, but any pilot who can land a 50,000lb aircraft on a heaving carrier deck at night has to be right up there with the best.

Although I'm partial to Australian F-111 pilots....and not in a strange way either...gee, that didn't really come out right...

Anyway, forget for a moment the B/S in the movie (and yes, I also love it despite the B/S!), you gotta have US Navy pilots right up there with the best.

My seven year old son watched it for the first time with me a couple of weeks back, and now he walks around doing the hi-lo high five saying, "I feel the need...the need for speed!" :ok: :cool:

chiglet
7th May 2004, 01:43
Yeah, good film, though High Flight [RAF] is better
watp,iktch

airhead10
7th May 2004, 08:47
Yep, granted, he always had respect for the guys who did that. In fact his best buddy and No.2 was an ex-fishead who was a pilot serving on the Ark Royal.
Mind you, he successfully landed a BAC-167 Strikemaster after a rocket strike, cockpit swimming in fuel, (burning his legs), not a lot working, decided against ejection, (worried about fuel explosion on exit). Carried out a perfect, (read the citation), landing and walked away. I proudly have the medal he was awarded.
Now that's flying!

Maxflyer
7th May 2004, 09:28
I read somewhere that Tom Cruise had to stand on a box so that he could reach Kelly McGillis's lips in the snogging bit.

As for flying films I wish they would make a film of Dastardly & Mutley trying to catch that pigeon!!!

Onan the Clumsy
7th May 2004, 15:28
Top Gun is - without doubt - the most gopping and puke making movie I have ever had the misfortune to see!!! Then you mustn't have seen the unfortunate Stilletto Dancer :yuk: or Pretty woman :yuk: :yuk: or anything with Hugh Grant

[/hijack]

I read somewhere that Tom Cruise had to stand on a box so that he could reach Kelly McGillis's lips I'd just leave this one alone... :E

AerBabe
7th May 2004, 16:05
Onan - My manager has just asked me why coffee is coming out of my nose. :{ :D :D
You BAD boy!