PDA

View Full Version : The best way to spend a lonely Friday night......

mriya225
12th May 2001, 07:10
I gotta thing for power and speed....

Awesome Ride #1 (http://www.harley-davidson.com/products/motorcycles/2001/softail/so_night.asp)

Awesome Ride #2 (http://www.harley-davidson.com/products/motorcycles/2001/sportster/sp_1200c.asp)

I'm swooning! :)

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

Dave Incognito
12th May 2001, 07:29
Obviously don’t have a thing for style and looks. :)

Sex on Wheels (http://www.ducati.com/bikes/sbk_12.html)

------------------
Flying is easy - just throw yourself at the ground and miss.

mriya225
12th May 2001, 08:21
Oh, Puhleeeeeze!

That's all fine and good if you like that sissy man vibe ;)

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

Feeton Terrafirma
12th May 2001, 09:10
The best way t spend a lonely Friday nite is in PPRuNe Chat babe. Where were you?

As for power and speed, ohhhhhhhhhh yes.

http://www.hsv.com.au

------------------
Flood Control Victim

[This message has been edited by Feeton Terrafirma (edited 12 May 2001).]

Send Clowns
12th May 2001, 15:03
No, I think I will still go for four wheels (http://www.tvr-eng.co.uk/graphics/tuscan/framesets/tus_fra_struc.html)!

------------------
'Me here at last on the ground, you in mid air'

[This message has been edited by Send Clowns (edited 12 May 2001).]

OzExpat
12th May 2001, 19:18
Umm, lemme see here... Mriya's taste is for something large, powerful and throbbing between her legs. Feeton's taste is a Holden (as in it's a-holdin up traffic :) ). Send Clowns has a taste for the sort of thing that pilots can never afford ... unless someone is buying, o' course! :)

I'm just bored out of me skull since I shut down me own access to "that other place"! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Just don't tell Reddo about this thread, or she'll go right off! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

------------------
Dispela olgeta samting i pekpek bilong bulmakau!

NAVaviator
13th May 2001, 03:59
There can be only one.....

http://maxpages.com/nicecar/Aston_Martin_DB7_Vantage

Hottie
13th May 2001, 11:29
Ladies & Gentlemen !

Is it everyone else or just me misreading the intention of this thread ?

"The best way to spend a lonely Friday night...." hmmmm.....what happened to :

* Inviting a dear girlfriend over (in my case)
* Cooking dinner for two
* Lighting up the fireplace
* Snuggling up together on the sofa whilst watching a movie on the telly, or listening to romantic, soft tunes together...etc....

Must be me.... ;) Getting 'soft' in my old age...

"Is this the SucMiPigoda Chinese Cuisine Takeaway ? ... Great...can you deliver some handcuffs with that rice???? " ;)

------------------
-----------------
'There is some satisfaction, that is mighty sweet to take, when you reach a destination you thought you'd never make...'

[This message has been edited by Hottie (edited 13 May 2001).]

Feeton Terrafirma
13th May 2001, 12:06
Well lets put this into perspective!

The DB7 might look nice and go well, but would you park it at the supermarket? Can you ever hope to afford it?

Much the same goes for the TVR. Where do my 3 kids fit in that?

With the HSV I can afford it (it's in the driveway now) :) It can fit 3 kids in the back and the shopping too. And Ozeggsplat do you call 0 to 100 kmh in 6.0 or 260 kmh (160 mph) top speed holding up traffic? Faster than many aircraft mate.

Reddo calm down gurl, it's only a thread, and I still think Ducati is the best road bike.

------------------
Flood Control Victim

[This message has been edited by Feeton Terrafirma (edited 13 May 2001).]

Hersham Boy
13th May 2001, 13:42
Hmmm - let's see:

Harley Davidson (aka Hardly Made-It, Son or Hardly Rideable):

How DO the American engineers manage to get so little power out of such an oversized engine? More noise than forward motion (sounds like politics, no?!)

Ducati:

Sleek, beautiful, stunning handling and performance. Shame they fall apart after two years and need servicing every 300 yards (sorry, Reddo ;) )

TVR:

Fine British engineering. Affordable, stylish, fast and they invariably sound great. Don't bother putting the roof up if it rains, though - about the same amount of water comes in!

Aston Martin:

Aah - what a beauty. So ridiculously expensive, however, you could make a straight choice between private flying and driving one of these. Bit of a 50+ Chairman's motor, too...
hehe.

HSV:

Loud and carnivorous - probably fast, with it. Unfortunately, with speed limits barely in excess of walking pace you must have to drive to the Northern Territories or Bathurst to find out, Feets? :)

Hersh's Choice:

Leave the car at home and take a dekko at Suzuki's latest offering. * Adopts Homer Simpson drool * "Mmmmmmmm... licence loss......"

http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_01/supersport/fs_gsx1000.htm

Gotta trade-in that slow old Fireblade...

:)

------------------
I'm just a teenage dirtbag, baby

What_does_this_button_do?
13th May 2001, 15:01
It's got to have 4 wheels and be perfectly silky to drive and touch.

For this there is only one answer:

http://www.porsche.co.uk/models/carconfigurator/bilder/911/modell/carrera4cabrio.jpg

mriya225
13th May 2001, 15:12
Is there no end to European jealousies??
Engineers at Harley Davison are just smarter than to make a bike that looks more at home on a quarter mile track than it does touring the canyon roads of the Rocky Mountains.
Self respecting bikers in the States would rather wear a tutu to Sturgis than ride one mile on a Euro-crotch rocket. Hell, even wealthy, notoriously imapatient, corporate types are content to sign up on three year waiting lists for the opportunity to buy a Harley as opposed to settling for something equally expensive and infinitely less cool on a moments notice... Americans are nothing if not consumate consumers.

Ducati shmoopati - it might just as well be a Yamaha or a Suzuki for all the difference it'd make in the U.S.

Ducati says: Calvin Klein jeans(two sizes too small), excessive jewelry, complicated coffees at sidewalk cafes, "You mess with me, I'll call my attorney in Brussels" & I think I'm cool.

Harley says: Levi 501's (loose fit), tattoos, beer, "You mess with me, I'm gonna stomp your head into your neck" & I am cool.
;)

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

Tartan Gannet
13th May 2001, 15:19
Lonely Friday evening?

Find a good Lodge Meeting. Enjoy ceremony, good meal and convivial company afterwards then retire to the bar to have a few large Malts with the Brethren then taxi home.

If alone, send out for Indian or Chinese meal. Open bottle of wine, Bach on CD Player, enjoy what Wordsworth called "The Bliss of Solitude".

Send Clowns
13th May 2001, 16:11
A Porch 911??? OK, it's the prettiest car they build, but they build the ugliest sportscars this side of the 1970s. Even the Japanese do better, or at least Mazda do. Give you credit, What_Does, at least you chose a drop-top. And when the TVR pulls 60 mph in 4 seconds dead, the price is this side of 50 000, rather than over the horizon of 90 000 and looks stunning (even if you don't like the looks they are arresting and unique, some imaginative design effort has gone into it) why buy a Porsche?

------------------

OzExpat
13th May 2001, 17:46
Hottie... you've got some truly wonderful ideas there mate, but the theme here suggests that you've already exhausted all such avenues of hope and are left to travel on the streetcar named despair. It's a situation I'm all too familiar with in THIS part of the world, in my working months.

O' course, for the rest of the time, I don't have the problem at all... ahhhh, gotta love Cairns, Oz!! :) :) :)

FT... probably cums under the heading of "horses for courses" - or is "nags for stags..." http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif :)

------------------

What_does_this_button_do?
14th May 2001, 01:03
Why buy Porsche? - coz it's German engineering and it doesn't go wrong!!!!

Steepclimb
14th May 2001, 01:30
OK OK Let's clear this up once and for all. A Ducati is a motorcycle and an a Harley Davidson is....well a Harley Davidson. There is no comparsion. If you want a motorcycele buy a Ducati, if you want to show off how little you know about real bikes but have too much money, you buy a Harley Davidson.
Let's compare like with like, it's apples and oranges.

trolleydollylover
14th May 2001, 02:32
Hersham Boy... Top Bloke

Hit the nail on the head.

Harley... ****
Duc....Dont ride in the wet

Classic Aston the way to go...

Who put a GSXR 1100... Dont you know they look dated, dont go around courners and are as plentiful as a ducati, (although I do like the styling of the old 888)

My money is on the new BMW's, If you think that you can ride and you live in the UK, drop me a line if you dont mind the embarrasment of being beaten by a BMW and a trailie at that. While you tit about with tight bends I just brush through the hedges and plough the fields.
Never under estimate the power of the force!

Harley D....BWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

------------------
Whoa there bigfella, whoa!

mriya225
14th May 2001, 08:26
It's so cute to see you Euro-types thing you know dick about motorcycles! Well, if nothing else... you lot are always good for a belly laugh. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

Sure you're right--the next time one of you hot shots wants to show off "how much you know about bikes" by struttin' you're stuff on your glam-ed up Yamahas (I mean, Ducatis) could you do me a favor and take before and after pix of you entering a biker bar to school the ignorant lads on this side of the pond.... please, please, perrty pleeeeeze! :)

Dave Incognito
14th May 2001, 08:36
mriya,

They don't call them Hogs for nothing.

The fact that Harley's (& their riders) look and sound like our big fat hairy animal friends, probably has something to do with it. :)

Have a good one, Dave.

------------------
Flying is easy - just throw yourself at the ground and miss.

trolleydollylover
14th May 2001, 11:33
M225 I agree that everybody has Yams, Kwacks etc and they are all the same, however at least our bikes can go around courners, stop and can reach the speed limit. The best thing to do witha Harley is sell it at over inflated prices to some Fat Buisnessman who wants to show the others in his office that he is Hard.

Hope that you get more sensible speed limit soon, get bends on your straight roads, Get efficient vehicular transport (not gas guzzlers) and get Eric Cartman of your roads "You will respect my Aurthooritieee."

Hersham Boy
14th May 2001, 16:40
Trol Dol Luvva

Top man, yesself. I'm not too proud to admit being overtaken (back when I was an utter novice on a ZZR600) in France by a R1100-GS - like yours? - manned by two Germans and a shedload of luggage. They were dragging the cylinder heads on the ground!

Ever since then, I've wanted a GS. But in general, I'm afraid to say that I don't much like BMW riders. They are the same to bikes (in general) that Volvo drivers are to cars!

One small disagreement about a GSX-R1100... have you ever seen a Bimota SB6-R? Whoooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaay-haaaaaaaaa! Now THAT is a bike!

Gissa shout if you find yourself in the SouthEast and fancy a blast TDL!

Mriya - come 'ere and say that! :)

Hersh

------------------
I'm just a teenage dirtbag, baby

Send Clowns
14th May 2001, 20:37
What_Does - a Skoda is even more reliable, but that's no reason to buy one http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

In fact, if that is your criterion, buy an XKR - according to Which Jaguar make the most reliable cars after the Japanese manufacturers. The XKR looks fantastic, and is quick enough. I'd stick to TVR though, who have largely solved reliability problems, and though servicing is expensive I suspect Porsches aren't cheap there, and a 50 000 price difference funds a lot of servicing.

------------------

Biggles Flies Undone
14th May 2001, 20:58
The modern Porsche is designed for average drivers with big wallets. They are easy to drive smoothly, fairly forgiving near the limit and quite comfortable to ride in. It takes a bloody good driver to get the best out of one of the old 911 Carreras.

Bikes? Yep, been there, done that and still got lumps to prove it. Great thrills (unless you’re talking about one of those dreadful Hogs) but not the fastest or safest thing around unless you are talking about a drag down a straight dry road.

Typical English conditions are a damp ‘A’ road and, for my money, there is no other standard road car that could come close to a Lancer Evo VII. About half the price of a boy racer Porsche too.

Send Clowns
14th May 2001, 22:57
Biggles

Agreed about the Porsche, but I think for a pure driver's car (rather than a practical saloon car) there are better than the Evo. How about a Lotus - Exige or a souped-up Elise, or even a V8 Esprit. Lotus have a reputation for the best chassis and suspension in the business. On a cheaper line, many of the Westfields are beyond 60 in 4 seconds (one racing 1800 (road-legal), at 190 bhp does 60 in 3.4! Don't know what the V8 does http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif ), and with the right suspension options they are said to be good in a corner, if a little trickier than a 4-wheel-drive rally car.

[This message has been edited by Send Clowns (edited 14 May 2001).]

Biggles Flies Undone
15th May 2001, 02:18
Point taken SC, but there are lots of quicker cars. The Lotus is a real drivers car, but very tricky on the limit - and the limit is so high that if you get it wrong when it starts to slide it is going to hurt.

Cars like the Evo or even the Impreza are simply so capable. All about grunt & grip - I really don't think there is anything comparable on a twisty, greasy road.

mriya225
15th May 2001, 06:19
To the anti-"hog" faction....
You just keep blowing that smoke and pretty soon your irritation and envy (at not being able to lay claim to the Harley) will give way to something that feels like pride for creating any of the lesser bikes on the road. Still, I won't buy the bravado until I see the pics! :)

PS. If you can't take a turn on a Harley--it's the fault of the bumbling rider and not the bike sweetheart. :rolleyes: ;)

Bailed Out
15th May 2001, 06:27
Watched the best part of a thousand Harlys cruise by Weymouth seafront this weekend, can't wait to see ducati do that..ha

Bailed.

Radar Departure2
15th May 2001, 17:59
Oh dear. Whose dick is bigger than whose?

RD

mriya225
15th May 2001, 20:40
Radar,
I think we all know that yours is the biggest of them all--you sexy beast, you!
Now stop braggin' sugar--we're busy tangling over road bikes. ;)

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

redsnail
15th May 2001, 23:41
I got a Ducati and no way would I swap it for any thing else. Can't ride Ducati's in the rain? Well, after 2 wet seasons in Cairns and Junior didn't miss a beat, I would have to disagree there :)
Must admit, jap electrics did the trick. :)
To move to the UK I have sold every thing - except my bike. Junior will come over next year once I have started working :)

Bikes are like religion, very personal and guaranteed to start a heated discussion.

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

Send Clowns
15th May 2001, 23:49
I think a lot of people look forward to meeting Junior (as well as you, of course!) at the Gatbash :)

------------------

Luke SkyToddler
16th May 2001, 00:14
Harley, shmarley ...

Ducati, shmucati ...

Porsche, shmorche ...

TVR, shmeVR ...

Rather than be wasting time debating the relative merits of two wheeled mobile chainsaws, and little euro-shopping-basket so called 'sports' cars, why don't you all pay homage to THIS!!

http://www.nicksnet.com/cgi-bin/charger.cgi?pic=seventy.jpg

Be still my beating heart ... :) :) :) :) :)

Flypuppy
16th May 2001, 00:27
Harley Davidson = harley goes, harley handles, harley worth it.

I dont remeber many Yank tanks winning the Isle of Man TT or a WSB round, but I guess when you are lugging around all that chrome and 1940's technology, you have to stop and polish it half way round the circuit eh?

I had a test drive of one of these bad boys (http://www.aprilia.com/ridezone/common/models/rsvr/8.jpg) and that is something for hooning around on a Friday evening with.

Italians certainly do know a thing or two about automotive beauty.

OldAg84
16th May 2001, 00:48
'97 Ford Taurus GL, yes GL, white...only 257,378 manufactured that year...

mriya225
16th May 2001, 01:59
Hey,
Since we've touched on the whole classic / muscle car thingy...

Anybody know where I can find a good pic of the '57 Chevy Two-Ten Sport Coupe (stock ivory & silver--if possible)? Although, I guess I could settle for a good pic of the '57 Chevy Bel Air Convertible (any color) if that's easier to find. I've searched high and low, and I can't come up with any cool images at all. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

One of these would be a blast to restore & cruise around in on lazy Sunday afternoons, eh?! :)

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

Luke SkyToddler
16th May 2001, 11:58
Not really subject related, but how the blazes are you guys managing to rename those URL links like that?

Oh, and while I'm at it, where can I find the full list of available smiley-faces for the forum? I feel kind of left out of the true PPRuNe experience ...

mriya225
16th May 2001, 14:22
Luke,
The url thing works like this (but without spaces):
http://yadda yadda.com[b] ]Here's Your Sassy Caption ( [/b)

On the reply screen....

Your Reply:
(next to the text entry box)

*HTML is OFF
*UBB Code is ON <---Here's more UBB tutorial stuff.
[IMG] UBB Code Not Allowed!

Smilies Legend <---Here's the smilie legend.

Feeton Terrafirma
16th May 2001, 14:59
Half the price of a TVR!

Absolutely sh|tloads of fun

Last service cost me $125 Oz (about 50 quid)

What more can I say? (http://203.43.180.147/gts.jpg)

------------------
Flood Control Victim

Freeflyer
16th May 2001, 19:48
For the sheer exhileration, I don't think there's anything to beat a decent bike. In Britain, that has to be something that goes round corners.

I've owned several, and the tatty old FZR1000 could outrun most things, mainly because I spent time and money learning to use it, and because I spent a lot of time in the saddle (former dispatch rider).

The other reason, is that lots of people aren't going to push their bikes too hard, because they don't want to scratch them, as the plastic costs too much.

The FZR cost 1600 quid, and would do a genuine 150 flat out. With nice sticky michelins it would go over to angles that were positively insane on the road and would go round corners at speeds that could induce rather more g's than is comfortable on the ground.

Best advice, buy something you can afford to drive/ride and fully comp insure. Spend some money on decent tires/shocks and learn to set it all up correctly. Spend a bit more on advanced driving/track time. If you're going to speed, learn to do it as safely as possible and for god's sake look further ahead than you are now. Much further.

And finally, for the fastest way from A to B, involving any twisty road (the cat and fiddle run personally is a bit of a gem), try a Caterham seven on cut slicks. Illegal sure, but the smile on your face at the end of it all is going to require the services of a good plastic surgeon to remove it. Been there, done it, and still tremble at the memory. Don't think I will ever drive like that again. I would probably die from adrenalin overdose.

Cheers,

J.

------------------
"Every time I learn some new stuff, it pushes some of the old stuff out!" - Homer Simpson Esq.

DeltaTango
18th May 2001, 22:38
back to the topic of the thread......
Here we are again.
Friday night...
Enjoying a cold one together with you lot..
What next?
Where do we go? what do we do?

In a hope for a very UNlonely friday night..

DT

OzExpat
19th May 2001, 00:48
Just recovering from my latest Friday nite. Had a few G/Ts. Then had a few more G/Ts. Then, just to be different, had a few more G/Ts ... the night looks soooo much better now! :)

Hmmm... must be time to have a G/T! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

------------------

mriya225
19th May 2001, 03:56
Okay Ozzie,
But no bikes for you tiger! You're liable to kill off a few PNG locals http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

I'd love to stay and keep you fine fellas company, but I've got a Colorado Avalanche game to watch (I got a thing for hockey too ;) ).
I promise I'll put the pedal to metal on the way to watch the game!! :)

XXX M.

PS. There's a very curious new report out on the AF4590 in R&N (if you can't kick up any dust here in the basement).

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

Capt Homesick
19th May 2001, 05:10
I've been promising myself a bike since I left school, never found the time or the cash- especially since I did the sportscar thing!
It's all too easy to insult Harleys- sure, they don't have the handling or the speed of a street racer, but think of them as Morgans on 2 wheels!

pigboat
19th May 2001, 07:50
Mriya, I got the Pens for the Stanley Cup. Any bets? :) 'Course the Avalanche IS from my back forty...

mriya225
19th May 2001, 08:50
pigboat,
You got it baby! I'll take the Av's (at 3) against the Penguins. Whatever happens, it'll be a great showing! Now, keep those dirty Devils outta the running and we'll see you at the big game! :)

PS.
Did you happen to see the latest support of Sakic? The sign read... "Real men don't need spleens!" :) Gotta love it! Talk about a terrific player and all-round super guy.

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

Per Ardua Ad Asda
20th May 2001, 02:10
Mriya225,

I hear that your namesake mean-machine will be at Paris next month? Let's hope the boys don't make a pigs ar$e of their display this year eh? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

mriya225
20th May 2001, 02:29
Ha! My beautiful girl can make even the most braindead pilot look like a genius! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

f40
20th May 2001, 02:36
Mryia, no offence sugar, but any girl can do that! ;)

Feeton Terrafirma
20th May 2001, 06:51
f40 hunny,
what are you saying here? Are you going to try and suggest that it's the woman that sets the pace and quality of THE game?

------------------
I'm not a PPRuNe addict. (just need one more post)

mriya225
20th May 2001, 07:20
f40
You've sure got that right! But these boys will never believe it.... All of this evidence; so little faith. :)

Feeton Terrafirma
20th May 2001, 07:24
Evidence????? What evidence?

Come on mriya we both know that guys have to do the initiation, most of the hard work, and then provide evidence of satisfaction ;)

------------------
I'm not a PPRuNe addict. (just need one more post)

dingducky
20th May 2001, 08:23
i thought guys would spent a lonely friday night with a porno mag and a box of tissues ;)

------------------
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

OzExpat
20th May 2001, 10:09
Mriya... no BIKES for me? I damn near fell off me chair at that one coz I wuz thinking about another interpretation. For those who may not be aware of it, the term "BIKE" has an alternative meaning here - and in the UK too, I suspect.

It means hooker, or whore, or trollop. That is, it's something that everyone has ridden! So, yeah Tarbender, Mriya's right about there being ample evidence! :)

Hmmm, maybe Flaps has a point after all! :) :) :)

------------------

DeltaTango
21st May 2001, 03:38
oz.....now be a sport-don't be helping the wrong side now.... :)

DT

OzExpat
21st May 2001, 19:41
DT... it's just in me nature to be a helpful kinda guy! :rolleyes: http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif :)

------------------

mriya225
21st May 2001, 22:57
Unfortunately I can't claim this one--it's a happy coincidence....

So, no bikes of either variety for you Ozzie! :)

pigboat
23rd May 2001, 06:55
Mriya, looks like I'm gonna have to cheer for the Nord.. err the Av's. :)

mriya225
23rd May 2001, 08:15
Pigboat,
Yeh, I'm sorry to hear that we'll be facing off with the dirty antics of the Devils instead--I was looking forward to enjoying some good hockey with the Penguins... Damnit all--sure would be nice to have Claude Lemieux back on the squad (I miss our enforcer)!
We're still gonna win, mind you, but it's sure to be a decidedly more bloody battle against those goons.

OzExpat
23rd May 2001, 18:49
Geez, no bikes of EITHER variety? No bloody wonder me Friday nights are always such a bust! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Thinks ... I need another escape to CNS...!!!

------------------

Paterbrat
25th May 2001, 02:41
Having had a number of bikes finaly scared myself so badly that Fri nights are now spent on 4 wheels going to local. Don't fall of coming back either. No of course I'm not over the limit. Liked that one on JB somewhere about the differnce between a bike and a vacuum. Position of the dirtbag.
Fri night is much like any other night if theres no flight let the remaining hair down and go for it.

OzExpat
25th May 2001, 18:54
Paterbrat...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">let the remaining hair down and go for it.</font>

Go for what exactly? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif :)

------------------

Paterbrat
28th May 2001, 16:44
I suppose a general term indicating whatever turns you on,is legal,safe, and acceptable to your partner if you have one, and your fancy if you don't. Just make sure it has hair in the right places or indeed the places that suit you.
As I write this, I am looking at a pile of papers and junk which is about to be turfed out of the study and on the pile there is an old faded bit of paper with some beer stains on it, a memory of just such an evening.
I was instructing at a flight school in Miami that was part owned by twins, the Ott brothers, Billy and Bobby who were pilots, one flew for National. They also owned a pub just off 36th St and 27th Ave by Miami Intl called The Brothers Two where a lot of pilots used to drink. There was a stunning young lady who worked behing the bar who everybody used to chat up like mad and I was no exception.
Since most of the pilots were older and worked for the airlines I didn't figure my chances as beeing very good. I had a very slight edge in that I was barely the legal age to drink and had great hassles getting into most places, she obviously felt I shouldn't be in there and used to generaly try to discourage me from drinking if she happened to serve me. It was the only window of opportunity and in a fit of madness I offered to write her a poem on why drinking was OK.
Since I knew that my feeble efforts were sadly lacking I turned for help from a certain Eddie FitzGerald who had translated some thoughts from a famous Persian pisshead called Omar. I shamelessly borowed some of his lines and arranged them in a suitable order then presented these to the lady in question the next day.
It stimulated a conversation that ended in my asking her if I could buy her dinner after her shift. She graciously accepted. Embarrasment number one was after dinner; discovering that I didn't have enough money to pay for the meal, she kindly passed me the money under the table having seen from my distressed expression that I was a bit short. I gratefully accepted her kind offer of a coffe at her place to calm me down and stop being so appologetic.
Embarrasement number two came when her female German Shepherd tried to bite me when I kissed the lady in thanks for the coffee. Embarrasment number three was when her dog then ate my sock while we were in bed after she had dressed my bite and I had undressed her. Said dog then nearly died from intestinal blockage from the sock which was how we found out where it had gone.I paid the vet bill which I thought was the right thing to do. I continued to see her and drink at the hostelry for quite a while after that.
I share the words that got my sock eaten.

Ah my belov'd, come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears.
To make the most of what we may yet spend,
Before we too into the dust descend.
Come fill the cup and in the fire of Spring
Our garments of repentance fling.

Heav'n is but the vision of fulfilled desire
Hell, the shadow of a soul on fire.
Waste not your time,nor hour,in vain persuit
Of this and that endevor and dispute.
Better jocund with the fruitfull grape then
Sadden after none, or bitter fruit

To the lip of the crystal cup, I lean'd
The secret of my life to learn.
And lip to lip it to me murmr'd low
While you live, drink of me.
For once dead, you never shall return
One thing certain,the rest,all lies.
The flower once bloomed forever dies.

So when the Angel of that darker drink,
Finds you by some river brink.
And offering his cup invites forth your soul
To your lips and quaff, do not shrink,
Lured by hopes of some diviner drink to fill
Your cup when crumbled into dust.

Thoughts for a Fri evening.

OzExpat
28th May 2001, 19:26
Paterbrat... that seems like such a lot of trouble to go to, but clearly the ends justify the meanz! I well remember a certain Cuban girl who bussed tables at a Cuban diner close to Opa Locka Airport. This was a [i]BIG BUNCH[/b] of years ago.

I didn't have your advantage coz I didn't (and still don't) know anyone named Omar! :) But, then, she didn't have much by way of English, so it didn't matter all that much.

Anyway, one morning, while paying for my breakfast, the kindly old woman who ran the place says to me ... "You obviously like Rosa (think that was her name ... it's a long time ago, so sue me! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif ) very much, don't you?" I proceeded to give her chapter and verse on my feelings for "Rosa".

At dinner that same evening, when Rosa was working, she had occasion to call out something to the kindly old woman. And she addressed her as "moma"! Oooops!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

------------------

Firestorm
28th May 2001, 19:33
Best way to spend Friday night in Scotland, certainly in the Summer, a blast on the 'Storm. All the Harley riders spend their Friday evenings polishing their chrome monsters. Well, never see them on the A82... So I suppose that's what they're doing. That or polishing something else.... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif)

Paterbrat
29th May 2001, 04:07
Yes Oz, it was a bunch of years ago, at Burnside Ott in 67. Those were the days, lots of red diamonds on the tails. 75 150's, 30 172's, three DC3's six twin coms, two Lake Buccaneers and a couple of Beech 18's one nose wheel and one tail wheel, and that was Opa Locka then they had Tamiami and Ft Lauderdale as well. Big school, great times. Never worried about Fri evenings then, just went for it all the time.
Rubayet of Omar Khyam was the bloke, you know, "A jug of wine, a loaf of bread and thou..."
Taught aerobatics at Tail Draggers across the field at Opa Locka until I got enough money to do my II and begin working at BATC and then really build time.
Talking of Rockets seemed to remember an Enfield Rocket, I lusted after, had an old 350 Enfield Bullet that wasn't bad, bit heavy to lift when I dropped it, but went quite well, polished that OK.

OzExpat
29th May 2001, 18:10
Paterbrat... I have this great Japanese "samurai" sword. You know the sorta thing - it's only s'posed to come out of its sheath when you mean to kill someone! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif Well, anyway, I have to pretend that I want to kill some [email protected], just so's I can take it out to polish it up ... every once in a while! :)

Burnside-Ott you say?? Whoa! Much tooo big a place for the likes of a bloke from the Oz bush backblocks! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif I was at Tursair. A great bunch of folks there ... they even sold a car to me the day I arrived. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif Big farkin old V8 gas guzzling heapa sh!t it was too!

I paid all of $200 for it. Had to keep up the supply of oil, brake fluid ... and water! Was such a fun thing to drive all the way from there to Walt Disney World and back! Radiator boiled over about NINE bloodey times!

On the day I left, sold it to a new bloke for $250! Probably just as well I got out of town when I did! :)

------------------

Paterbrat
30th May 2001, 14:09
Oz you wuz robbed, I was given an old Corvair, no not a 'Vet' the old rear engine tiny el cheapo job. Basicaly it was so clapped out and rusty I think the guy was ashamed of being seen in it. I however was tired of walking to the school every day and took it like a shot.
Meals were cheap, lunch was a tin of beans and Franks @ 25 cents a can, crackers were free and so was water then. Reason I went there was I had been told if you did your training there they would consider hiring you. It worked too.
Friday nights and what one did on them came later, after I got the job. Before that it was scouring the papers for which place was doing an evening 'special' price meal, or, heaven, all you can eat for $3.50. You drank cheap supermarket beer back at the apartment when you thought you had done something worth celebrating, first cross country and finding Melbourne, f..ing long runway. Navigating across the panhandle and finding the Gulf of Mexico and Naples. Oh the exotic places, oh OK names then.
Those were the days, and now it's lonely Fri nights, if I'd only known I'd of stayed young and never left.

OzExpat
30th May 2001, 17:34
Paterbrat... how wuz I robbed? I made a whole 50 bucks on the deal! No, you're right of course ... that didn't cover the tags an tatties bit! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

But the places you mention! I had to find all of those places too!! Think that Melbourne was where I did all the back-course LLZ approaches that I've ever had to do in me life.

One of the wags at Tursair wanted me to go find the Bermuda Triangle. Well, what can I say .... I knew 'Rosa' pretty well by then and Cuba is at the bottom of the triangle. That turned out to be close enough!

I even finally managed to get to the bottom of her triangle! :) Ohhhh, those good ol' days!

------------------

JOB HUNTER
30th May 2001, 19:24
I usually call the flight attendant .
They are always available for a lonely friday nite.
I do not care for porsche or mustang I just care about blonde or red F/A ..........
Do you understand???

------------------

mriya225
31st May 2001, 01:17
Yes... You're a horny fifteen year old, not yet licensed to drive?!?

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

Hangar_Pilot
1st Jun 2001, 01:36
We can settle this bike argument

Harley Davidson...read bendy chassis, rubber forks, feeble brakes and ***** geometry.

Don't go, don't stop and don't handle.

Ditch pumping turd for posing faggots who couldn't handle a real bike.

Ducati...go's, handles, stops and ties you in a knot in the process, it's evil knees up round yer neck, balls on the tank torture.

for the rich young poseur, who doesn't have a missus to put on the back `cos there is no back to speak of.

Spends half their life polishing it and refuses to take it out if the road is even slightly damp.

Thinks they are carl fogarty (All Hail) reborn, blats up the straights and potters round the corners.

You want to be a real biker?

Get a jap 4 stroke, ride in all winds and weathers, only wash it when it's dirty, give it **** everywhere.

OzExpat
1st Jun 2001, 20:54
Well, here it is ... another bloodey Friday night and I don't have a bike of ANY variety to fuhk with! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

------------------