PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 dilemma

Wing Commander Fowler
5th May 2004, 17:39
Hello chaps, was wondering if someone might be able to point me in the right direction for a simple problem.......

My sis's PC has windows 2k and takes forever booting and is using loads of memory when effectively at idle. I tried Start/run/msconfig in order to try to disable unwanted programs running in the background but it ain't recognised as a command!

What would the appropriate technique be for this OS? :ugh:

amanoffewwords
5th May 2004, 18:38
Hi Wing Commander,

if you have win98 or similar you can copy msconfig.exe to the system folder where windows 2k resides (probably WINNT) and the run as normal from the RUN command.

Or download this utility (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) which is probably better - after installation is appears as an icon called config in the control panel, and works well from my experience.

Having said that I'm tempted to upgrade my Win 2k deskop to Win XP as the memory management/resource configuration is so much better.

hth
Charles

goates
5th May 2004, 18:55
Wing Commander Fowler,

Open up the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del), go to the processes tab and see if there are any programs running that you don't need. To disable many of these you need to go to the Services management app under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services. From here you can disable anything you don't need. While you're at it, you should disable the Messenger (not MSN Messenger) service for added security. I know iTunes installs the ipod service, even if you don't have an iPod, which uses a couple MB of memory.

Running AdAware and Spybot might help too as a big reason for slow Windows computers are malware, trojans and other annoying programs. A thorough scan with an anti-virus program like Trend Micro's online House call may turn up something as well.

goates

Wing Commander Fowler
5th May 2004, 19:32
Thanx chaps for the speedy response! That should sort her out.
:ok: