PDA

View Full Version : Would you Join Post 35?

STANDTO
5th May 2004, 16:27
This is an odd question (most of mine are!) but whilst skimming thru the latest RAF website I came across a job I actually could do via professional qualifications, i.e. Training Officer.

Question is, would you join up older and wiser? I went thru Cranwell in 87 but my legs succumbed to stress fractures. Not much good for a rock ape. I don't think I woudl be any more likely to survive IOT physically, but SERE wouldn't create too many headaches!

I could probably bring a good wedge of govt service pension with me too, allowing a notional 22 year engagement.

Your wise words would be gratefully received ( and of course, the usual banter)

SirToppamHat
5th May 2004, 18:23
Officers don't have engagements, they have commissions, which may be Short Service (SSC)(<10 years but vary depending on Branch) or Permanent (PC) lasting 16 years or to age 38, whichever is the longer.

You could, in theory, qualify for either, assuming that your age is not a barrier in itself.

The major problem you may face is that of getting through Cranwell. It is unclear from yuor post whether you completed IOT but didn't get through the JROC because of your shin splints, or whether you did not complete IOT.

If you completed IOT, then SERE may be an option as a 'Re-Entrant'. If not, then I doubt SERE will be an option, because I don't believe Training Officer is one of the qualifying roles (I think 'Special Entrants' are Doctors, Nurses, Dentists and Lawyers).

Contact the CIO for the Gen, but make sure you get hold of the Pamphlets and read them for yourself if you are given the brush-off.

Coming back to your original question, yes I would if it was something I had always wanted to do. There are lots of 37-year-old JOs who are planning to stay in until 55, and I don't see why you shouldn't!

STANDTO
5th May 2004, 19:03
Yes. I know officers have commissions. Tut!

:rolleyes:

I VW'd at Cranwell as the long term prognosis wasn't good (certainly as far as my chosen branch went. ) Anyway, 1987 was a loooooooooong time ago, and I doubt if I would qualify as a
re-entrant in that respect.

Whether actually having the teaching qualifications already, rather than the degree only, counts for anything I don't know. Sure thing is, IOT would not be a starter. I also carry another injury which although doesn't affect me operationally, wouldn't stand up to 24 weeks of hammering.

Starting to sound like an old crock, but manage to hold down an operational role in current employ, so I can't be THAT bad:D

SirToppamHat
5th May 2004, 19:33
It was when you started talking about 22 year engagement that I got a bit confused. The point I was making was not about semantics, but the min length of time you could serve for, and whether that could be completed by 55.

Still not convinced that Trg Offr is considered a Special Entrant, and as you didn't complete IOT before, I am not sure you would qualify as a re-entrant.

All that said, you can but try. I am sure there is a whole gang of people at Innsworth that could give you an answer.

STH