PDA

View Full Version : CabAir EPTA Bournemouth

Mark_ms
5th May 2004, 13:43
I am Seriously considering Modular training with EPTA in Bournemouth.

Can anybody that has done the course give me Information/advice on it

1. The quality of instruction at Orlando Flight training, which instructors to try and get, and the do's and don'ts there ? ( Its been stressed to me that you want to learn good habits at this stage, and I've heard the usaul bad stories about cheap PPL's in the US and the calibar of pilots that result from training there).

2. Rough cost of training including food and accomadation, and do the initial prices in the brochure tally with what you actually paid ?

3. Hows the job hunting going if you've finished ?

nottelling
5th May 2004, 14:57
Mark check your PM's

And I forgot to mention that you should seriously consider stopping in the hotel. I spent a very short amount of time in the appartments the one I was in was really really SHOCKING:yuk:
Plus if you are really serious about getting everything done in the shortest possible time you have your own space to study in peace
:ok:

Peggy Murphy
5th May 2004, 16:15
I HAVE HEARD A LOT OF WORRYING STORIES FROM THAT TRAINING SCHOOL. YOU WILL PAY MORE THAN THE ADVERTISED PRICE NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO. MOST SCHOOLS SEEM TO FORGET TO TELL YOU THAT AN EXAM RESIT COST £55 ish. A CPL OR AN IR PARTIAL RETAKE OR FULL RETEST WILL COST ANYTHING FROM £600 TO £2000 WHEN YOU INCLUDE THE 'EXTRA TRAINING REQUIRED'. SO JUST BE VERY CAREFUL, WHEN YOU HAVE DONE ALL YOUR CALCULATIONS ADD £5000 JUST TO BE PREPARED FOR THE WORST CASE SENARIO. EXTEA ACCOMADATION IS NOT CHEAP EITHER!!!!!! THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL IS NOT ALWAYS THE BEST OPTION. HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT BRISTOL.........LET THAT BE YOUR FIRST POSITIVE MOVE. GOOD LUCK MATE.:ok:

TRon
5th May 2004, 17:58
Landing AND approach fees are not included in their prices either. I believe it is about £8-12 a touch and go and more for an Instrument approach, when you are doing your CPL circuit consol that can add up! That said you can use their FRASCA all you want.......

I spoke to some guys/girls there a few weeks ago. They seemed happy enough, although a bit peeved about the approach fees which made the cost less competative. Personally I wouldn't pay for anything up front, and many will echo those sentiments but there seem to be people still doing it. Do a search on Colin Green (who owns/runs EPTA and formally SFT).

I dont think many will comment on Orlando Flight Training on here.

I'll leave you to make your own mind up.

TRon

Robthestudent
5th May 2004, 21:12
I think Peggy has it right, do your groundschool at Bristol, and then the flying elsewhere. I am exstudent at PAT and would recommend them if you are serious about the flying and want quality instruction.
SFT/EPTA are or were Colin Green's babies SFT sunk with out trace taking a lot of students money with it .
EPTa are owned by Cabair but Mr Green is the MD who rather mysteriously does not appear on their website.
No doubt someone called send clowns will be adding to this thread fairly soon and to be fair to the buffoon he does work for a good fto as well (BCFT just in case he may be a bit shy)

As has already been stated watch out for the hidden extras with organisations like PAT and BCFT what you see is what you get.

One further thing, EPTAs groundschool includes free retakes which makes me wonder why is everyone in the training industry looking for first time passes.

Good luck in your decision making

Rob

Send Clowns
5th May 2004, 21:50
Charming :rolleyes:

(I take it the rules against personal abuse don't apply to you, Rob? I know you never liked my defence of Colin Green's right to accept a job post-SFT, but that was a long time back. You are inaccurate too - he is not MD of EPTA, he just runs it. But thanks for the kind comments on my employer)

IBMN
6th May 2004, 02:12
Mark:
I did IMC with OFT last August and had a great time.
Staff there very friendly and helpful - I would reccomend it.
If I can offer a few tips:

1: Accept that whatever you do in Aviation has hidden costs and budget an extra 20 percent for any trip to the US and you'll be fine.

2: notelling is right - stay at the Sheraton in kissimmee - worth the extra.

3: Dont go in the summer as its the rainy season - and much more expensive.

My instructor was a woman called Mimmi who was still there when I spoke to her last about a month ago.

nottelling
6th May 2004, 08:58
The sharadon has now changed its name to the best western.

Peggy Murphy
6th May 2004, 12:45
ENOUGH SAID..... A SCHOOL THAT OFFERS 'FREE RETAKES' HAS EPTA NO CONFIDENCE IN THEIR TRAINING FIRST TIME ROUND. FROM WHAT I HAVE READ I WOULD BE KEEPING MY WALLET WELL AND TRULY CLOSED AROUND THAT PART OF THE AIRFIELD. PAT HAVE GOOD AIRCRAFT, GOOD REPUTATION AND EXCELLENT INSTRUCTORS.

:ok:

Groundloop
6th May 2004, 14:26
100% first time pass rate is not that common, even at the best schools. So why is "free retakes" to be taken as an indication of bad teaching?

Also, Peggy, try the "Caps Lock" key!!

simmatt
9th May 2004, 18:44
I can only say that the guys teaching on the ground are excellent.
The free re training is most welcome as we don't all pass first time around!! Even if we have lots of jet time on another register!

I can not comment on the flying side, but go and meet the ground school guys. Have a day there, chat to the current students and instuctors.

Keith Williams whi I know you will find on here is most helpfull!

And Colin to be fair is not even in the office that much! So I shouldn't get all excited about his name!

Peggy Murphy
10th May 2004, 09:03
Just because he is not in the building does'nt mean that your money is safe. He is probably on holidays spending it. I agree Keith Derek etc are good instructors,however they have nothing to do with your money. Its such a pity as that could be such a good school........ Cabair need to do a bit of weeding!!!!!!!:ok: