PDA

View Full Version : Sir Ernest Shackleton's boat goes to a museum

Bre901
5th May 2004, 13:02
Not aviation related, but at least Mr D. might appreciate ;)
The Beeb (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3683431.stm)

tony draper
5th May 2004, 13:08
Indeed, good stuff, One is a great admirer of Shackleton,much more so than Scott,more deserving of the status of hero than that glory hunting stuborn fool Scott.

Gainesy
5th May 2004, 13:15
Shackletons used to carry an air-droppable lifeboat.
There, aviation related.

Hufty
5th May 2004, 13:17
I wonder why this has been moved right round the world (again)? It looked perfectly happy sitting in Greenwich when I last saw it!

It is a fascinating piece of history though - I can't imagine what it must have been like to go through what they went through.

Taildragger55
5th May 2004, 13:41
Be nice to have a rummage in the lockers.

Maybe that's where he hid the Irish Crown Jewels what his cousin is said to have nicked.

airship
5th May 2004, 15:58
Safest place for it...! Whaddaya mean, nobody with more money than sense around to convert it into another superyacht?! :rolleyes: Or perhaps that Chelsea bloke, Abrovamovich or something like that would like to have it on one of his 300 footers?! :D

phnuff
5th May 2004, 19:52
Yes, despite the failures he suffered, Shackleton was a great leader and as MrD says, much more worthy of the hero status than Scott.

Justiciar
5th May 2004, 20:28
Indeed, good stuff, One is a great admirer of Shackleton,much more so than Scott,more deserving of the status of hero than that glory hunting stuborn fool Scott.

Some people have spent too much time reading Roland Huntford:yuk:

IB4138
5th May 2004, 22:32
Which Scott are we talking about here?

The one who invented the toilet roll was indeed a great man and he made his tissue"stuborn" to perform the job it was supposed to!:E

I believe that Shackleton used this great invention many times during his life.

tony draper
5th May 2004, 22:43
Yer have to be pretty swift to use toilet paper out in the open in the Antarctic, after two seconds yer need a chisel.
My dad had a old paperback about Scots expedition called The Worst Journey in the World, the book was specifically about a side expedition by a couple of Scotts men to collect Emperor Penguin eggs,and the horrors that befell them in their quest, read it when I was a sprog, put me off going on any expeditions to cold places for life it did.
Although they recon freezing to death is one of the least unpleasent ways to go,dunno who sent that information back from the other side though.
:uhoh:

IB4138
5th May 2004, 22:49
Are you getting near to another thread Mr D?

Thats how they killed the salad frog!

tony draper
5th May 2004, 23:58
I understand some Frogs can survive being frozen solid, not with their legs gnawed off though.

"Frog on a stick!! get yer frog on a stick"

Wonder how they wudda coped had there been a Rhinosourus, or a gorrila lurking in the salad.
One would need a big ice cube tray to freeze a Gorrila, but first one would have to persuade said gorrila to sit in said ice tray.

Before someone points it out one is aware that Rhinosorus is spelled incorrectly one simply cannot be arsed to look in ones dictionary.

:rolleyes:

IB4138
6th May 2004, 07:40
TD

Don't give Lidl's ideas for new products please!:uhoh:

Gainesy
6th May 2004, 07:55
Yer all missing the point. This is, as far as I know, the first recorded instance of airline food containing something recognisable.