PDA

View Full Version : Who's the aviators, what are the others?

SawThe Light
5th May 2004, 10:54
Wondering what J. B'ers have what aviation affiliations. Probably done to death already but obviously before I found PPRuNe.

Oh, good, you're a ??????. C'mon don't be shy.

Me, long time f-w pilot & engineer but saw finally saw the light and now concentrating on engineering.

STL

BlueDiamond
5th May 2004, 12:09
Don't forget, STL, many people choose a more complete anonymity here than just the use of a pseudonym. Some disclose a little information in their profiles, some fill in every line and others none. (There is no guarantee either that the information you read in the profiles is entirely correct.) But one thing is certain, it's our interest in aviation that prompts us to be here.

Jerrichos MIL
5th May 2004, 13:56
You speak for yourself Bluediamond.

I am here solely to keep tabs on my errant son in law. And I can assure you there is no link to aviation that he has except in some fantasy world where he thinks he talks to aeroplanes. Have said it before and will say it again, he needs to get a proper job and stop traipsing the world pretending he is some middle aged hippy !! :*

BlueDiamond
5th May 2004, 14:02
But, Jerricho's MIL, you certainly do have a connection with aviation. After all, you would scarcely be able to fly your broomstick unless you had the appropriate PPL.

:E

angels
5th May 2004, 14:13
Check me profile. I originally tried (in my profile) a spurious link to the aviation industry in that our firm 'hedges' currencies for a well known airline.

I got sussed and changed my profile when those rough chaps in R&N/Questions discovered I wasn't actually a pilot and they moved in on me big-time.

I know that ETOPS stands for 'Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming' but still don't know the real phrase.

I refuse to Google it!

SawThe Light
5th May 2004, 21:36
Hmmmmm. A fairly comprehensive response.

Let's see. At this time 276 reads with 1 possible. Interesting data. What would the statisticians make of that.

STL

AerBabe
5th May 2004, 21:55
What would the statisticians make of that That would depend on who was sponsoring the answer. :suspect:

Send Clowns
5th May 2004, 22:05
You're getting cynical, Babe. Quite right, but still cynical :)

I aviated today, for reward (though not a lot :( ). Do other things too, all aviation-related, but I think I can call myself a pilot.

Jerricho
6th May 2004, 01:37
BD....let me buy you a beer my friend!!!!

Middle aged hippy you say? Peace man.

Rich Lee
6th May 2004, 06:09
I am Assistant Master of Palace Repairs, Lieutenant of the Outer Palace Guards, Left Division; Chief of the Imperial Trainers, Acting Governor of the Temple of Doom, Occasional Under-Secretary to the Supreme One, Subdued Light in the Infinite Darkness, Ocean of Calm, Sea of Wisdom, Corn in the Section Crap, Minister of Micturation, Clan Historian and Poet, Bowman of the First Order, Monarch of Immovable Light and Thousand-Handed Seer.

What was the question?

BlueDiamond
6th May 2004, 07:25
What do you do in your spare time, Mr. Lee???

:uhoh: :cool: ;)

maninblack
6th May 2004, 09:26
Was Army,

Left, went to military aviation development, then airline supply industry.

Back with army again in modified form.

I just like green.

Send Clowns
6th May 2004, 11:34
Shouldn't that be "maningreen" then :confused:

Big Tudor
6th May 2004, 14:22
MIB is obviously connected to the shadier side of the armed services, hence the moniker ManInBlack. Milk Tray anybody.

ssultana
6th May 2004, 15:32
I'm in military flying, RAF, training.

Binoculars
6th May 2004, 15:52
Aviation? No interest at all, it just pays my wage. When I retire, which can't come soon enough given the morons now running the show in Oz, I'll never even look back. Should I then be excluded from these hallowed halls?

I'm in JB to try to make some sense out of the world, but I suspect I've come to the wrong place. The percentage of people prepared to see both sides of an argument in here is about the same as in the real world. And when you consider what the average intelligence quotient should be in here, that's sad.

But life really is easier when you brook no doubt. :hmm:

answer=42
6th May 2004, 16:17
Not prepared to say directly what I do for a living, though it should be pretty well obvious from my posts.

Got into pprune because I wanted to find out about some of the dodgier flights I'd been on in some of the more obscure corners of the flying world.

I'm fascinated by the airline business. Most ppruners seem to think that their management are a bunch of morons. Whether or not this is true, an airline is an incredibly difficult instrument to play.

Jet Blast. Ho hum. Kinda given up on the more 'current affairs' threads. Too many people writing stuff that two minutes' reflection would show cannot be true. As bino says, people here should be fairly intelligent. What is going on in the world makes me despair. And the fact that many people who should know better are supporting a great deal of bad stuff just makes it worse.

So these days, I just stick to the jokes.

--o-o-0-o-o--
6th May 2004, 18:04
I'm a lollipop man on a busy road, but enjoy a bit of flying too :) ;)

Huck
6th May 2004, 20:00
I'm the Last of the Mohicans, a 727 flight engineer.

mini
6th May 2004, 20:43
Ex Military, once had a real job - got bored. Now hiring my hide to the highest bidder... go all the places that others don't want to.

Quitting soon, getting too old for this sh*t

Thank God its only a game :}

maninblack
6th May 2004, 23:47
These days I am maningreen again, although I uually wear a short and tie.

The green is reserved for when I go out and sleep on the floor and poo in a hole.

Animalclub
7th May 2004, 02:45
Used to be airline management!!! Now drink red wine and smoke cigars on my front verandah watching my cows and grass grow - usually in the company of a lady.

Duke Elegant
7th May 2004, 05:05
Aviation has been my life.

I have a passion for it.

I have a passion for people who have a passion for it , regardless of their profession or connection. I tell a good story to non aviators too , you know.

I am now retired having been given a measure of my longetivity.

Duke

separator
7th May 2004, 08:51
Since Binos and I shovel dung for the same circus, he had better be aware that I will be bailing out before him. My plan is to take all the company's remaining money with me, so he had better get the binoettes out working to support him. But then someone who lives where he does has little cause for complaint.

Duke, after 30 years involved in all manners of things aviation, I certainly know exactly what you are going through. Best of luck and keep the faith.

sep

Binoculars
7th May 2004, 14:15
errr, can we come to some arrangement here, separator? It's not as though I want to work for these pricks for the next four years.

Remember when it used to be a great job? :(

Bre901
7th May 2004, 14:37
Coco

I don't think it's only the aviation industry :ugh:

Pilgrim101
7th May 2004, 15:17
Soon to be a very private flyer when I get back to the Land of the Free ! Aeroplane forlornly gathering dust in the hangar will have Mouseshit in it, Birdshit on it and I'll listen to other pilots talk Bullshit about it but I'll listen, how I'll listen............ !

Now have to find a real job to pay for my medical renewal !

airship
7th May 2004, 15:31
I am what I am and that's all that I am :O

Binos wrote I'm in JB to try to make some sense out of the world, but I suspect I've come to the wrong place. The percentage of people prepared to see both sides of an argument in here is about the same as in the real world. And when you consider what the average intelligence quotient should be in here, that's sad.

Most of the people here have probably read about the issues pertaining to the use of unreasonable force in many situations. Perhaps that is why many people here err on the side of caution and tend to respond with the same intelligence quotient as their interlocuteur... :}

Huck
7th May 2004, 17:39
Pilgrim- tell me what airport and where you hid the keys and I'll knock the rust off it for you!

And as for pilots whining: there is no "good" job, other than photographer's assistant at Victoria's Secret (those sheer numbers need tissue paper under them to keep from being obscene somebody's got to slide it in there....)

planepsycho
8th May 2004, 00:17
I am a "ramp rat"....my occupation is generally anywhere from the wing down to scrubbing the toilet bowl at a GA airport. Lot's of free plane rides...and now I have the ability to spot a doctor, a lawyer or an engineer in a "where's Waldo" contest! lol:cool:

separator
8th May 2004, 02:49
Binos,

Your plea has touched my heart. Check under the third potplant on the left by the backdoor after I am gone. There will be "a little something" for you there. As well as this I leave you the reins for the goat.

sep

TheStormyPetrel
8th May 2004, 11:31
Aviation earnings have paid for most of what I've co-owned and enjoyed during my life. I've always been intimately connected with it yet never personally earned any money from it. I work in a quite different profession and am doing my Masters in yet another.

I'm happier in my job than Binos and Sep - but then that's not hard!!

sprocket
8th May 2004, 12:04
Separator: when you retire, would you consider going back to crewing superbly prepared racing rafts?
:p

separator
8th May 2004, 12:35
Sprocket,
I can see us now, the wind in our hair, reliving our finest maritime moment. However you must promise not to weld half empty avtur drums until I am well clear of the area this time.

If only we had been contacted and our services retained, the Americas Cup would still be used as a spitoon in this wide brown land.

Stormy,
I have loved aviation all my life, I just don't like to see what is happening to it. The rules of the air have been written in blood and tragedy over the years, they are not to be discarded lightly.

Sadly I have been to too many funerals for good friends to see an industry raped and pillaged by the 'short-time' flim-flammers, the accountants and the managers who never seem to around to reap what they have sown.

sep

sprocket
8th May 2004, 12:53
No probs sep, after seeing a few crash investigations on the Recovery Channel, we'll be safe welding them drums as long as we are below 13000ft ASL.

TheStormyPetrel
8th May 2004, 13:32
Sep

As an Aussie with a vested interest in aviation, I also am saddened and angry by what's happened here.

Likewise I've been to the funerals of too many friends to ignore the hazards. I'm angered by what DS has and is leading and am frustrated by the media attitudes and manipulation which allow the public to blindly believe DS & JA. I can't believe we can't get a good PR person/team to change the tide.

Likewise the short-sighted decisions of small-minded managers are changing and affecting the part of aviation with which I'm closely related, not advantageously. I'm frustrated and angry about what's happening too.

I wasn't meaning anything critical of you and Binos, I know what you are putting up with - I guess I was just saying that my job's not too bad by comparison - and my post came soon after reading the posts you and Binos posted, so I made the connection.

My best wishes to you both.

Stormy

Smeagol
8th May 2004, 19:50
To get back to the original question........................

My profession has no link to aviation at all.........except that myself and a few other engineers ensure that the stuff required to fuel your flying machines keeps coming out of the ground (usually in some godforsaken part of the globe) and gets refined into a product that you can actually use!

Was a pilot many years ago and if were not for a rather odd heart structure would have made it a career. By the things written by other posters I am probably better off where I am.

Blacksheep
10th May 2004, 06:54
I am a one-time licensed mender of flying machines, now a mere philosophical visionary

[Management. Me. Who would have believed it?]

flapsforty
10th May 2004, 07:47
...........see an industry raped and pillaged by the 'short-time' flim-flammers, the accountants and the managers who never seem to be around to reap what they have sown.

Sep, working in the cabin, we bury some friends young for a different reason....
But seeing how my once proud company is being run by short term bonus chasing con-men these days, sadly your last sentence expresses my feelings exactly.

:sad:

Pilgrim101
10th May 2004, 11:14
Huck

You'll have to get to Bonnie Scotland and there shouldn't be too much rust on the fabric :ok: (I'm a real pilot, none of this aluminium tubing for me !)

However, if you are one of the wonders who just keeps those beautiful 727's permanently in the air then you can fly her - gently - any time.