PDA

View Full Version : DNS Error message

LastCall
4th May 2004, 19:06
The problem is with my son's computer which is a Compaq Presario 1200 Laptop, Windows 98SE, IE5.5, 6 Gig H.D., 60 mb Ram.

Problem started several weeks ago. Whenever he goes to secure websites such as his bank, credit card websites, accessing his Hotmail account after he puts in his password, and even Norton to renew his subscription, he gets the message:

"This page cannot be displayed. Cannot find server or DNS error."

He has downloaded Spysweeper as well as Ad-Aware. The first time he ran both programs resulted in lots of spyware on his computer. Subsequent runs of both programs have eleminated all the spyware. Despite unwittingly allowing his Norton anti-virus subscription to lapse, he has now run "Housecall" on-line virus scan several times and results come up negative.

All available Windows updates and SPs have been installed. 128-bit encription is also enabled on his computer.

Before the problem started he was able to access all the secure websites listed above as well as Norton Live update. Now he can't even get into Norton to update his subscription.

He doesn't remember changing any settings nor downloading any rogue programs. He says the problem began one night after working on some data from his work.

Any ideas how to rectify the problem would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance for any input.

LC

E-Liam
4th May 2004, 22:32
Hi LC,

Please download 'Hijack This!' from here (http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/), unzip, and place it in it’s own folder, (not in the temp folder, or on the desktop) doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan". When the scan is finished, click "Save Log", and copy and paste it in a PM to me.

This will give me a rundown of what’s going on in your PC. Don’t fix anything yourself yet, as a lot of the stuff on that list will be harmless or required.

Cheers

Liam

LastCall
5th May 2004, 10:15
Thanks Liam. He will get back to you today.

LC

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th May 2004, 14:39
LastCall,

If Hijack This does not show any problems, then it might be time for a Fresh Install from the CABs. (Win98SE was infamous for corrupting system files.)

How long since Win98SE was installed on that computer and was it a fresh install or an upgrade?

Take Care,

Richard

LastCall
6th May 2004, 00:17
Hi Richard.

Thanks for your input.

Win 98SE was installed on the computer when purchased in Sept. 2000. It has never had a 'fresh install' since purchase. There were no disks included with the purchase other than the Recovery disk.

However, my own computer is a Compaq Presario 1700 XL series, originally a 6 Gig HD, 600 Mhz processor. (It has subsequently been upgraded to Win XP Home ed. and now has a 20 Gig HD). It was purchased at the same time as my son's computer.

When I had the Win 98SE system on mine I did a 'fresh install' a number of times and purchased the full system disks from Compaq. If a fresh install is required on my son's computer, would the disks I purchased be adequate for my son's computer?

Again, thank you for your always very informed input.

LC

Memetic
6th May 2004, 00:26
He says the problem began one night after working on some data from his work.

Did he use some sort of remote access tool to connnect to a PC or server at work? Something like a VPN for example.

I'm wondering if the PC still thinks secure connections should go via this route which is now closed to it.

edit:
Actually re reading that i'm wondering if it's now too late and i'm not making sense... can https be set to use another DNS to http?

Billings
6th May 2004, 04:28
Hi,

If he has a firewall, there's a possibility that the settings have changed and it coud be blocking outgoing DNS.

Most websites would have static IP's but secure sites or high profile sites would change their DNS address every now and again. If DNS has been blocked then the DNS cache on his computer might be out of date.

I know Zonealarm, has a facility to block DNS traffic or to block a service that is running DNS for you(Services and controller Apps on Win2K and XP). Maybe this could be the problem.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th May 2004, 17:36
LastCall,

Your Win98SE CD you already purchased would be adequate.

Take Care,

Richard

E-Liam
6th May 2004, 17:42
Hi,

Just to save everyone ripping their hair out on this one for the moment, I've checked the log for Last Call, and there was a hosts file hijack and SDBOT amongst other thigs, so it's probably best to see how the fix goes. It should be good. :ok: :)

Cheers

Liam