PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Music [and why]?

chiglet
4th May 2004, 18:11
One of my all time faves is Handels Largo [from Xerces]. heard first on a 78, and marked with a chalk mark so's that I didn't have to listen to the "boring bits" before "my" bit
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Zoom
4th May 2004, 18:14
Ravel's Bolero came on the car radio this afternoon and - wow - it's good. But normally, it is good old Wrinkly Rock for me.

In fact, I saw The Stones and Fleetwood Mac last summer and - wow - they're good! And Genesis a couple of years back and - wow- they're ordinary! And Neil Diamond (Mrs Z insisted) and - wow - he's boring!

Jinkster
4th May 2004, 19:32
Bruce Hornsby and the Range - That's Just the Way It Is = absolutely fantastic track!

Bob Marley and the Wailers - Jamming = great for listening to in the height of the summer having a barbeque and a cold beer

Pet Shop Boys - Being Boring, West End Girls = great for playing around London

Holst - Jupiter = great when no-one is in the house - crank up the stereo and its sounds like the planet has 'crushed' the house!

:ok:

chiglet
4th May 2004, 19:45
Jinks,
I was there when Gerry Swartz and the Liverpool Phil "did" Jupiter and Mars. Tears on one, fear on 'tother :ok:
watp,iktch

redsnail
4th May 2004, 20:17
Love techno, hi NRG, euphoria and trance music.
I make up MD's to take to the gym and the upbeats just keep me motivated to push on. :D
I have a 10 stacker in the car with the discs to bop along to in the traffic.
I don't mind some classical music such as Vivaldi's 4 seasons. The Fantasia album is fantastic. Excellent collection of classical music.
I just love old Rolling Stones and The Who's music.
Fantastic music to sing along to. :D (not that I can sing, I sing in the safe space in the car)
There's something about the 60's and 70's music from those 2 bands.
For another good sing along is AC/DC and INXS. Love those two bands.
Moby and Paul van Dyk are cool. Faithless. William Orbit, Jean Michel Jarre. Leftfield Lydon :E

I usually prefer upbeat tunes.

mini
4th May 2004, 21:27
Redsnail,

forget the 10 stacker! git yourself an iPod with an FM transmitter. It is a little bigger than 20 fags, stores hundreds of Cd's and your FM radio will play them all.

As for music, as mentioned by a previous poster Ravel's Bolero is good, not in a car though... too much volume adjustment.

Like a bit of punk meself, overall very eclectic taste, anything except C&W, Johnny Cash excepted...

:suspect:

ssultana
4th May 2004, 22:21
I'm into every kind off music you can imagine, mostly rock though. Love jack johnson's stuff.

Album for a sunny day tho if you're a young bloke with some buddies over to share a bbq, or you're on the beach, maybe surfing, maybe you're driving along with a fit bird in the pax seat. Anyway, summertime music is.. Jazzy Jeff, The Magnificent.

Reminds me of my first summer at university, chillin out doing no work, and just enjoying myself..

(Cant wait for this summer, exams over in 4 weeks!)

redsnail
4th May 2004, 22:23
Not allowed to buy another toy though I've seen an iPod, a true thing of gorgeousness.
I got a a gorgeous Apple iBook. Ahhh.
I was just reminded by Checkboard that I am a Minidisc fan and I shouldn't desire any thing else.

Before I buy more electronic toys I have to get a job. Then Checkers can't say a thing about my electronic music toy fetish. :D

(I do have an old Samsung MPS player though)

Can you tell I have had a couple of drinks? :E

DROGNA
4th May 2004, 22:48
No one here will have heard this song I bet but it's called "Does This Train Stop On Merseyside?" by a band called Amsterdam. It has a particular reference to the Hillsborough disaster years ago which will bring a tear to most peoples eyes who remember that terrible day.

"Can't conceive what those children done
Guess there's a meaness in the soul of man
Yorkshire Policeman chat with folded arms
Why people try to save their fellow fans
Why don't you remember?"*

:(

www.amsterdam-music.com

* With due credit to Ian Prowse - a genius and a friend.

TamedBill
4th May 2004, 23:13
I like lots of differant sorts of music and it very much depends on my mood what I listen to. I can't say I have ever heard a techno or reggae piece that has ever done anything for me though.
Very much agree with Jingster about Gustav Holst, Mars is great when in a bad mood, play that, slam a few doors and get it out of your system. I have many favourites but off the top of my head, John Lee Hookers 'stripped me naked' and a track by Tears for Fears 'Badmans song' to name two.

ssultana
4th May 2004, 23:19
Actually, let me add to that - FOO FIGHTERS!!

Awesome band.

Rollingthunder
4th May 2004, 23:30
Favorite classical music is always the Meditation from Thais by Massenet. Have it on four cds. Used in the film Golden Boy - which was based on a play by The Group Theatre of New York. That was my introduction to the piece of music. As no credits were given for it in the film, it took me a number of years to track it down, as I don't like opera.

Favorite modern group is Cockrobin - now defunct unfortunately - they were something else.

SuperOwl
6th May 2004, 23:45
The bit of music that moved me most and as such, was appreciated most by myself was when I saw U2 at Manchester a couple of years ago. It was the part of the song "With or Without You" where Bono has done his high pitched howling and then the drums pick up, followed by the most simple, but yet most effective basslines ever. If you know the song, you'll know which bit I mean.

To hear it live is a moving experience.

maninblack
7th May 2004, 09:48
Depends on where you hear it.

Vera Lynn with the massed bands of Crab Air doing 40s favourites.

Richard Thompson playing Devonside.

Baz Warne playing Dutch Moon.

Skids playing Circus Games

BlueWolf
7th May 2004, 12:03
Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi, from Carmina Burana by Carl Orff

Telegraph Road, Dire Straits

Duelling Banjos

Jerusalem

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zep

Born to be Wild - Stepenwolf

5th - Beethoven

Four Seasons, Vivaldi

etc etc etc.....

VFE
7th May 2004, 18:08
The Stranglers and Motorhead.

VFE.

planepsycho
8th May 2004, 00:20
Neil Young!!!....but I lalso love all kinds of music from all different genre's.

IB4138
8th May 2004, 15:39
Blue Wolf

I've just searched my Four Seasons Greatest Hits album...can't find a track called "Vivaldi"...are you sure!?;)

surely not
8th May 2004, 16:36
My music taste covers just about everything except Country and Western.

Just rediscovering some of the music I bought in the 70's; The Who, Led Zep, Deep Purple, Focus, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Kraftwerk, Velvet Underground etc

Also big fan of Leftfield, Moby, Stereo MC, Min of Sound compilation albums, The Beat, Robert Palmer, Lou Reed, The Skids, Stranglers, Lenny Kravitz, John Lee Hooker

and too many more to list.

I much prefer music to watching TV, and can alter my moods by the music I listen to.

bagpuss lives
8th May 2004, 18:18
Anything and everything just about summarises my musical tastes I think :)

Specifically though the singer/songwriter genre floats my proverbial boat being a sensitive and introspective person generally - and the rest is highly dependant on mood.

Dancey to fuel my frequent John Travolta impressions in nightclubs all across the North West, and mellow and mood setting for entertaining or relaxing at home :)

In short - music to match the mood.

Bluejay
8th May 2004, 19:16
Bruce Hornsby and the Range - "The Way it is"
Whitesnake - "Here I go again"
Alice Cooper - "Poison"
Bon Jovi - "Lay your hands on me" "You give love a bad name" "Bad Medicine" and lots more
Queen - any

Why do I like them - because I do, the top two have been used in a couple of aviation videos - awesome stuff

Capn Notarious
8th May 2004, 20:36
WAGNER

maxman
8th May 2004, 21:31
Will listen to pretty much anything, if i'm in the mood (even "In the mood, by Glen Miller).
Beautiful Day. U2
Freebird. Lynard Skynard (sp).
Does anyone know what the track is, thats playing on the Ford Ka ad at the moment. It's getting to me:ok:

An impulse buy at sainsburys checkout the other day. The Essential Clash. I find I'm playing it louder and louder, is this normal ?

chiglet
8th May 2004, 21:59
Capt n
"ALL of WAGNER"?
Or Das Rhiengold, Die Valkiere or Siegfried [forgive speelling]
I "Love" WAGNER, but not all so whitch bit[s] do you like?
watp.iktch

Sally Cinnamon
8th May 2004, 23:14
Wagners Ring Cycle is an absolute master piece. Gotterdammerung being my own personal favourite.

Capn Notarious
9th May 2004, 12:21
I "Love" WAGNER, but not all so whitch bit[s] do you like?

Not too fond of Tristan and Isolde; seen that with the next three at The English National Opera.
The Flying Dutchman
The Valkyrie
Parsifal.
Lohengrin; on the telly. Twas in modern dress.

Get a listen to the acclaimed Decca Ring Cycle. Sir George Solti's' best.

scarlet wimpernel
9th May 2004, 12:59
Johnny Cash
“Hurt”
He was brilliant till the bitter end. Reinventing all.
Here it is if you’re a fan. The film clip is also brilliant.

http://www.losthighwayrecords.com/e/cash11403.html

Also anything by Chet Baker, and also Tomaso Albinoni’s Adagio in G minor (you might remember it from “Gallipoli”)
sw