PDA

View Full Version : The small issue of finance...

Eliza
4th May 2004, 16:07
Hi

After three years in something I really dont enjoy, I have finally made the decision to 'go for it' and currently looking at the offerings from the various ATPL providers. I have decided I would prefer to go integrated (I think it would work better for me) but before I even start I need to save some cash!

With six to eight months being able to live rent free (parents taking me in again!!!) I am looking for a job to earn maximum cash and wondered what others had done in my situation.

I have scoured the airport vacancies, but only seem to be coming up with catering/shop assistant, which isnt really going to go anywhere towards paying my way to the integrated course.
Does anyone have any cash-making ideas?

Say if I can borrow the course fees, how much generally for the 13 - 14 months for accommodation, food, etc should I be budgeting for?

At the moment it all seems a bit far away, but am a little desperate to say the least - have wanted to do this for ages and will only be grumbling for the rest of my life if I dont do it!

Any advice appreciated - cheers

E

tacpot
4th May 2004, 17:48
So you've figured out the basics for saving money:

1. Earn lots
2. Spend Little

Visit the discussion groups at www.fool.co.uk (http://www.fool.co.uk) for details of how to spend little and where to put your savings (and what "stoozing" is).

To earn lots, you have to find where doing what you are good at pays the most. Ignore short term jobs (except lucratic contracts); lie about your commitment to get high paying jobs. What have you been doing for three years that you don't really enjoy? (This is probably your best chance to make enough money to stop doing it - another year won't kill you - in fact it may get easier because at least you have an aim and you know you won't be there for ever).

Best Wishes

T

P51 mustang
6th May 2004, 14:55
Good luck to you Eliza!:ok:
I hope to one day fly for a living too. If there's anyone who could give advice on the best paying jobs with little or no qualifications needed please let me know, I don't really care what I have to do just as long as it helps cover the cost of my ATPL. I do have qualifications and I'm doing a degree, but I hope to shift to an integrated degree in Air Transport Operations with an ATPL. This is however a self financed degree course. Part of the cost is being footed by my parents, but I still need cash to pay for the rest of it. Any suggetions?:confused:

Jinkster
6th May 2004, 17:19
First of all - accomodation tends to be quite expensive especially down south (me living oop north!). A touring caravan is a great way of having your own space and saving lots of money! I did it in fact the CFI did it also.

Secondly - Modular course is much cheaper, flying in the US is also much cheaper! I would advise buying 'The Guide to getting a Commercial Pilots Licence' by Clive Hughes.

Thirdly - "its work, oh its work but its great fun"......so I have been told :ok:

All the best,

Jinkster

EGAC_Ramper
7th May 2004, 18:20
Self financing is what is holding me back.I currently work as a ramp rat at belfast City Airport Northern Ireland and last year accomplished my first step in getting my PPL licence.Saving currently to go back stateside and do more to my licence.

Regards

birdlady
9th May 2004, 14:11
Hmmmm..... If you dont want to take out a huge loan and want to do this in a reasonably short amount of time ..... maybe sell a kidney on the black market. I hear that you can get really good money for them. Sorry very silly idea but I am also in the same spot at the moment. I have just finished my PPL in the understanding that I was to receive a grant that was to cover 75% of my studies and guess what - they wont cover my practicle training. Me having sent them all the different courses - oxford being one of them - they saying yeah yeah that looks good. Brillant I was on cloud nine. Then I sent in my application to them telling them how much it was going to cost and they saying oh - we are not covering the flying. So you mean to tell me that all this time I thought I had landed with my bum in the butter and this was not the case. Be warned a lot of establishements dont realise to actually be come a pilot you need to learn how to fly.

Sorry lads - rant over. One just gets a bit p** off.

sorry me again. The states is a good option in terms of monetary reasons. I have done a search on this very topic and everyone has recommended that I do my training here in South Africa and then go to the UK and convert rather than doing my training in the states. Hope this helps.