PDA

View Full Version : Big apple?

Dumbledore
4th May 2004, 16:28
Kinda stupid I know but can anyone tell me why New York City is nicknamed "the big apple"?

All these years flying there and I don't know!

Thanks,

D

SkySista
4th May 2004, 16:37
If I recall correctly, I think it has something to do with jazz musicians (was it originally African-American expression) in the 20's and 30's.... gigs were called apples and NY was the biggest....

I stand to be corrected if this is not the case... ;)

Sky

(Edited to add link - I was partly right)

Quote from: Big Apple Jazz (http://www.bigapplejazz.com/)

1920's era jazz musicians picked it up from stable guys and horseracing people from New Orleans who considered NY races and NY gigs to be where the money was. So since a horse, up for a big purse in the NYC, can't get paid off in big money himself, the lingo promised him a big apple. So playing NY and getting on record dates here became known as the Big Apple for musicians too. A sports writer in those days, John Fitzpatrick, picked up on the lingo and called his column “Around the Big Apple.” If you go to 54th and Broadway you will see that he was recognized by the city by renaming the corner where he lived, "Big Apple Corner." There was a club called The Big Apple on the corner of 135th and 7th Ave (across the street from Small's Paradise). The corner is marked by a whimsical display of an upside-down apple announcing the location. See these sites and more on a Big Apple Jazz Tour.

chopperpilot47
4th May 2004, 16:39
Skysista is right, this is the full thing:

How the Big Apple Got its Name

1920's era jazz musicians picked it up from stable guys and horseracing people from New Orleans who considered NY races and NY gigs to be where the money was. So since a horse, up for a big purse in the NYC, can't get paid off in big money himself, the lingo promised him a big apple. So playing NY and getting on record dates here became known as the Big Apple for musicians too. A sports writer in those days, John Fitzpatrick, picked up on the lingo and called his column “Around the Big Apple.” If you go to 54th and Broadway you will see that he was recognized by the city by renaming the corner where he lived, "Big Apple Corner." There was a club called The Big Apple on the corner of 135th and 7th Ave (across the street from Small's Paradise). The corner is marked by a whimsical display of an upside-down apple announcing the location. See these sites and more on a Big Apple Jazz Tour.

Regards,

Chopperpilot47

SkySista
4th May 2004, 16:42
OMG! Simultaneous Googling!

You obviously got same result I did! :p

Sky