PDA

View Full Version : Memory or Motherboard Prob?

Terrey
4th May 2004, 03:08
I was given a secondhand computer ( P4 1.5g Abit BW7 m/b) with no hard drive or memory. I fitted a hard drive (formated it) and 128mb memory. The computer booted and passed the POST. I went to load windows 98se however and this is when problems started.

Part way into loading it stops and gives "Bad Fault in MS-DOS Extender" and "SUWIN caused segment load failure in module KRNL386.exe at 0001:947D"

A bit of research said maybe a memory problem so I put in a brand new 256kb Kingston Ram. Tried all slots. Still same problem. Some other research suggested disabling the cashe. I did this and managed to load windows (took 4 hrs !).

Still no luck though. Gives "fatal exception 0E at 0167:BFF9DFFF"

Next morning the computer booted into windows ! Hoo ray!!!
But it only lasted about 2mins and gave a fatal exception error again!

HELP

Is the Motherboard a dud?

amanoffewwords
4th May 2004, 07:06
Probably a long shot but this Microsoft link (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;87239) gives a few reasons for the first error (bad extender). It mentions BIOS being out of date (unlikely on a P4) but you might want to reset the BIOS to default or safe settings if poss. I wonder if "it" is remembering an old configuration before you put the new disk in.

Charles

Saab Dastard
4th May 2004, 10:54
Terrey,

Note the CMOS settings and then restore factory defaults. It's possible that some setting is not compatible with your setup.

Just a thought

SD

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th May 2004, 15:18
Terrey,

I would flash the mobo with the latest BIOS. When you do the install, strip the computer down to bare bones. (Keyboard, Mouse, Vid, RAM, CD-ROM, Floppy, Monitor.) See if you can get Windows to install then.

Take Care,

Richard

Terrey
5th May 2004, 10:25
Wow Naples, you are a genius!!!!!!
I flashed the BIOS and it all worked a treat!!
Thanks everyone for your help.
Love your work!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th May 2004, 14:42
Terrey,

That is great news! :ok:

Take Care,

Richard