PDA

View Full Version : AA Upgrade. Is it possible??

skyboy1919
3rd May 2004, 20:05
Hi all

I am flying with AA on the 12th May from JFK to LHR and was wondering if the airline was in the habit of upgrading crew from other airlines.

I hate it when crew expect to be upgraded, however I have enquired before, as many British companies will upgrade staff from other airlines when they check in, but every one I have asked at AA on other trips has said you have to ask well before you fly. Was not sure if that was just an excuse or not.

I am a SCCM and always upgrade airline staff if possible. I can only do it if I have seats, but why not try and offer a collegue a hand when we can, am I the only one that bothers?

Any advice or ideas would be greatly recived.
Thanks guys
:confused:

Kremmen
3rd May 2004, 23:30
MY EXPERIENCE:
Sounds bizarre SKYBOY but the general answer is no...because upgrades are relatively easy to earn with AA miles (what the hell are they called again?) and are usually heaving with U/Gs in Business.

Having said that I did manage to get one at Xmas. The check-in girl at LHR was feeling merry...and very nice of her it was too.

So the answer is yes and no. Try - you have nothing to lose...

NTM
4th May 2004, 18:19
You can try, but the policy is no.
Good luck.
I am in LHR, just got in from LAX. And flew AA.
I am a furloughed AA employee. And even for active employees, if you want to upgrade you have to pay for it. But not for free.
But if you are a crewmwmber for a US carrier and you are jumpseating you could get a premium seat if the purser and the Captain offer it to you. otherwise the policy is no.

Later

TWApilot
5th May 2004, 14:42
Not a Chance!!!

The morons at AA have no clue how to run a real airline, and have no idea what courtesy is all about.

At my former airline, our Policy Manual stated that ALL jumpseaters were to be seated in First Class, if available, and only if First Class wasn't available would be seat them elsewhere.

AA is so stingy that they won't even put commuting pilots and flight attendants in First Class to help them get to work or get home if coach is full (unless they pay a fee). Talk about disgusting.

What a horrible company.

NTM
6th May 2004, 17:18
TWApilot,
Chill dude !!
We are all upset but chill !!!

later
:ok:

skyboy1919
7th May 2004, 14:22
Hi Guys

Well thanks for letting me know what the deal is, I always thought that the American Carriers were really good at things like this, I guess things have changed alot.

I know money is everything right now in this industry, but some good old fashioned customer service goes a long way, and I have only been flying 7 years, but I remember when crew were nice to crew, whatever airline they came from, and when an upgrade ment nothing to the airline, the seat is sat empty, why not show off our high yield cabins!! My airline even upgraded for free to ensure the first cabin was always full, not any more.

But I guess everything has to change, a real shame I guess, the perks for working for an airline have started to vanish, however I am not giving up, ever come aboard one of my flights, show your ID, if I have a first or business seat free, its yours.

Thanks again guys, and fly safe
:O

Hajj Man
10th May 2004, 06:04
Skyboy,

Ask everyone you come across from the time you check in to the time you are seated on the Aircraft. ASK ASK ASK until you get a yes and then stop asking. Keep your ID in your hand and flash it at every attempt to get a yes.

Your very very best bet is always the flight attendants on the aircraft. The purser if she/he likes you and there is room, will accomadate you if you are dressed nicely and they LIKE YOU.

Good luck but as someone said earlier, those frequent flyer miles are used by normal pax on those long international flights and chances of room in First or Business class are slim to NONE.

Remember to ASK ASK ASK.................

let us know how you make out with it.

HM

weasil
15th May 2004, 13:31
Don't know about AA. I jumpseat on American Eagle every week though and they are usually very good about getting me a seat on the flight, even if there is pax from earlier/later flights trying to get on. No first class though cause they fly the EMB-145 from Chicago to my base.

On US Airways though I have managed to get first class before. We are supposed to purchase first class upgrades but the crew will stick me there if the cabin is full and there is a seat. I have found that the treatment you get greatly depends on the person working that day at the gate. Make sure you are nice to them and don't bother them when they are busy with cancellations, annoyed pax etc... they will get to you.

robroy
6th Aug 2004, 07:58
Gidday,

Would like to know if there is a dedicated chat site for American Airlines.

I am trying to recontact an ex USAF guy, who flew KC 135's refuelling the SR 71.

I met him at a CAF Airsho, put in a good word for him, he started as an F/O on - 80's

Cheers

ROBROY

Capt. Retired.

Check 6
6th Aug 2004, 10:33
Try this FAA pilot database (http://162.58.35.241/aadatabase/login.asp). You may be able to obtain his home address and then post him a note.

Good luck,

Check 6

willbav8r
6th Aug 2004, 16:00
www.USaviation.com seems to have a lot of AA folks - with a dedicated forum.

Else, maybe contact AA and have someone scour the Sabre system.

McD
8th Aug 2004, 04:44
Robroy --

Check your PMs

robroy
8th Aug 2004, 10:52
Many thanks to you all.

I will throw a shrimp on the barbie for you if you ever get out to Oz.

We are not ,down under, you are UP OVER.

Cheers

Robroy.