PDA

View Full Version : Flight Ops and Dispatch

syed
3rd May 2004, 19:13
Hi Readers

I am looking for a job in Flight Ops and Dispatch.

Anyone could tell me if there are any jobs going. I am actually a pilot with Frozen ATPL, no jobs in flying yet so considering to take up a job as a Ground Crew.

What are the prospect for someone who has done ATPL exams and have the ability to communicate well to become a Ground Crew, at least still involved with the industry.

If someone could gives me the name and contact details of the Handling Agencies to write to. I live in Scotland, would prefer Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Manchester, Newcastle also consider down south

I would really appreciate for the informations.

:ok: :ok:

witchdoctor
4th May 2004, 09:22
Hi Syed,

Plenty of opportunity to join the team at Newcastle as a dispatcher - we are still short-staffed (as I suspect are most other stations). You shouldn't have a problem getting a full time position either. Pay is roughly £5.30 per hour. Not sure if that makes it worthwhile or not. You wouldn't be the only fATPL either, as there are 3 of us here at the moment.

Contact Graeme Heath at Servisair if you are interested on 0191 2144357.

FougaMagister
5th May 2004, 10:36
... and 6 more of us fATPLs here at Aviance BHX! ;)

Cheers

OBK!
5th May 2004, 19:10
You could also try getting into operations for an airline....but then again, for the airline I work for, there are already 3 of us with fATPLs.

Do what I did, start at the very bottom and work your way up, but don't boast too much about the fATPL, it can be a disadvantage as much as it is an advantage when wanting to do ground work.

Cheers
obk

monkeyboy
7th May 2004, 19:26
...and there are a couple of us @ Servisair MAN too! ;)

witchdoctor
9th May 2004, 17:53
So good to know the next generation of F/O's and Captains will have worked up from debt-ridden, lowly dispatchers. Might put an end to all the whingeing emanating from certain pilots about what a terrible job it is to get paid to fly.;)

Come the revolution comrades, come the revolution................:D

laparker79
11th May 2004, 10:19
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone knows who I should contact about jobs in Ops/Dispatch at Norwich airport?

Also, what qualifications/experience do you need? I haven't even started my PPL yet but wanted a gateway into the aviation industry to demostrate my commitment etc.... :8 Am a graduate if that makes any difference?

Any help much appreciated :ok:

laparker79.

Penworth
14th May 2004, 10:52
How do all you fATPL holders in dispatch manage to keep your IR's and multi class ratings current and/or increase your hours while working for £5 or £6 per hour?

PW

monkeyboy
14th May 2004, 13:26
By getting further and further into debt.....that's how. :ugh:

witchdoctor
16th May 2004, 09:53
By working part-time there and part-time in my flying job. Seems to go well so far. Don't bother with the MEP rating (very expensive to maintain and about no use at all in employment terms), and revalidate/renew the multi IR in a sim. Same stamp on the licence to keep it all valid and up to date, and should leave some money over to jump back in for a few practice sessions should the possibility of a sim check rear its head. Unless you have regular access to a cheap twin for IR airwork, then it is something of a no-brainer.

FougaMagister
18th May 2004, 14:36
Penworth - how do we do it? Well, first, you can't really build up your hours doing that job, the best you can do is to keep reasonably current, i.e., 1-3 flight hours/ month, plus 1 FNPT II session to practice SIDs, General Handling, STARS, ILS, etc.

How do we save money? Well, by not saving for retirement, not going on the piss every friday & saturday night, doing 0500-2100 shifts, then overtime, then some more, saving (nearly) every penny, renting houseshare as opposed to having a (variable) mortgage, driving an 80,000 mile old-banger, etc. That's how I do it. Granted, it's not easy... :ouch:

Cheers

Penworth
18th May 2004, 15:58
Thanks for the insight FougaMagister, I'm very aware its not easy and I have the upmost respect for people like yourself who can stay current while working in that kind of situation.

PW