PDA

View Full Version : windows xp on two computers

beardy
2nd May 2004, 21:28
I recently built a new PC, purchased and installed xp on it. I would now like to upgrade my old PC from 98se to xp (it is compatible.)

My questions to the cognoscenti are:

can I use the copy of xp I purchased to upgrade from 98se? Will activation prevent me from running it? Is it simpler, but more expensive, to buy an upgrade disk?

Should I bother?

Timothy
2nd May 2004, 21:48
You should buy the software you need.

Or use open source.

Binoculars
3rd May 2004, 03:46
Somehow I don't think beardy was after a lesson in what he should do, more what he can do. :hmm:

I was just wondering the same thing myself over the weekend. Although I don't like the interface of XP I realise it is considerably more stable than 98SE. My Dell laptop came with XP installed and an OEM "reinstallation" CD. I haven't bothered trying to install it on my 98 computer because I'm sure Mr Gates has learned his lesson well. Isn't it nice for the millions of people still using 98SE that he made it so copiable? No wonder he wants to cease support for it.

Not, I hasten to add, that I would ever resort to such tactics. After all, it's illegal. :rolleyes:

Um, what was the question again?

goates
3rd May 2004, 05:12
Unless you can find a crack or some other way around the activation, it won't let you install it on a second computer. Mr. Gates was kind enough to offer a "discount" on a license for a second copy of XP for home use. It's something like $10 off.

The CD that comes with the Dell won't even work on non Dell computer. Again, more copy protection "features."

Mr. Gates does one very good reason for getting people off of 98 and that is all of the security holes in it. While not perfect, XP is much better, not to mention far more stable.

goates

Wing Commander Fowler
3rd May 2004, 14:41
beardy - did you buy an upgrade disc seperate from the new PC? If this is what you did then I did exactly the same thing and managed to install XP onto both my PC and my laptop. Just went through the activation two times. I can't remember whether there was a month or so between activations because something way down in the back of my mind tells me that they WILL allow you to activate a second time after a month or so...... Think that's to cater for the fact that they understand re-installs are required from time to time.

Stands back waiting to be corrected....... :sad:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd May 2004, 18:12
goates,

Unless you can find a crack or some other way around the activation

I would never suggest going that route. Do things legitimately.

Take Care,

Richard

goates
3rd May 2004, 20:17
I would never suggest going that route. Do things legitimately.

I wasn't trying to suggest that he should go that route, only that that is the only way around having to buy another copy. I agree it is much better to do it legitimately. Companies are already adding too many restrictions to their software because of piracy.

Wing Commander Fowler - The WindowsXP activation looks at what hardware is installed in your computer and uses that to uniquely identify it. If you change more than 4 or 5 major components (motherboard, CPU, RAM etc) within something like 3 months, it will force you to reactivate it. If you change something it will add it to the total, but after the 3 months or so, it will reset the counter.

goates

Mac the Knife
3rd May 2004, 20:30
Why do you want to upgrade? Chances are that your old PC will not have the oomph to run XP very well.

If you want a faster, stabler OS than 98SE on an old PC then Linux is really your only choice.

$9.95 will get you a copy of the excellent MEPIS Linux - http://www.mepis.org/ - and more applications and software than you can shake a leg at.

Or you can go for one of the bigger distros - $29.95 will get you SuSE Linux 9.1 Personal - http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry16?SP=10024&PN=29&xid=40017&V1=31032655&V2=31032655&V3=1&V5=0&V4=11000350&S1=&S2=&S3=&S4=&S5=&DSP=0&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

Come on in - the water's fine!

Wing Commander Fowler
3rd May 2004, 20:34
Goates -

Unless you can find a crack or some other way around the activation, it won't let you install it on a second computer

That's what I thought you said....... Seems I was right!

I may have been wrong about the "month" or so. Seems like it's 3 months or so! Err ok, I was wrong but I was right methinks....

:{

Timothy
3rd May 2004, 22:26
binoculars

Beardy used the following expression:Is it simpler, but more expensive, to buy an upgrade disk?

Should I bother?I repliedYou should buy the software you need.He has phrased the question "Should I?" I have phrased the answer "you should.." and then gone on to answer the exact question he just asked.

For you to then jump in with Somehow I don't think beardy was after a lesson in what he should do, more what he can do. is presumptious with regard to Beardy, because you are saying he doesn't mean "Should I?" when he says it and irritating for me because you are wrongly correcting my accurate answer.

SoftTop
5th May 2004, 17:23
Do you have children of school age or in tertiary education? Are you, or your (assumption warning!!) partner doing any night-classes, OU courses etc. or involved in education in any way?

If "yes" to any of the above you can get a properly licenced copy of XP Pro for around £75. I'll rake out an address in Stirling who will do the deed and post out the box with licence.

You could also do a search on the internet for "student licence" and "Windows XP" to see what it unearths.

Two of my boys are at university and got legal student copies of Office XP Pro for £10 each - me, jealous .... never

goates
5th May 2004, 18:46
Another way to get XP cheap is to buy the OEM version. Just buy some cheap hardware to upgrade your computer, and get the OS with it. Here the OEM version is about $10 cheaper than the upgrade version.

Some companies also have a deal with Microsoft to buy their software at discounted prices. I picked up Office 2003 Pro for $260 CAD, which is half the price of the OEM version and far cheaper than the retail version.

goates