PDA

View Full Version : P1$£ poor pay @ BA

MaxMet
2nd May 2004, 10:53
It says on their website that a new entrant at LGW will get £9000 a year basic plus an extra £4000-£4500 a year.

£13500 a year anywhere in the UK is a low wage but in the South East that would be hard to survive on.

Why oh why is anyone bothering to go there when they pay such a rubbish wage it cant be for the glamour anymore!?

:confused:

PropellerPaul
2nd May 2004, 17:31
As an ex-employee of British Airways I'm not that surprised. I worked at Gatwick EOG & then Heathrow Eurofleet back in the mid-nineties & to be honest, I wasn't paid a princely sum in those days either! It's a pity really as B.A. always somehow seemed to have the 'edge' over all it's competitors in the best-airline-to-work-for stakes. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't on completely rubbish money & I got treated well, but living in the south-east was always difficult financially. I would have difficulty living on that sort of money here in the north-west now, let-alone if I was living in the London area! Is B.A. going the way of Virgin in 'working-for-the-prestige' ?:confused:

redfred
5th May 2004, 12:04
its nothing like what they say on the website its much more and easily liveable on

MaxMet
6th May 2004, 18:04
I suppose that would depend on your standard of living and where you live etc.

Even if it is more than the website suggests anything under 20k is still well below average for the south east.

Max

Hand Solo
6th May 2004, 22:26
But its not taxed the same way as normal income due to a signifcant proportion of it being in the form of allowances. The gross income may appear low but thanks to the favourable taxation the actual net income is roughly equivalent to a gross in excess of 18K, more with overtime and extra allowances. Nobody starves in BA.

Smell the Coffee
6th May 2004, 22:46
I think you'll find most shortaul juniors on similar pay at other UK airlines, so seems to be the norm.

At least with BA you have reasonable promotion prospects, and with that, an increase in that pay.

Let's be honest, cabin crew aren't on the world's best wages anyway!

Flying_Sarah747
7th May 2004, 16:06
I must say I was very worried about the pay when I first came over here from Australia, but BA, for some reason seem to really downplay what they pay. I'm based at LHR, not LGW, but I'm sure it's the same for the LGW crew too, and I think that basic should be a little higher too, but I'm not sure if, it's LGW. It's ridiculous what they say on their website. I won't say that the basic is good, but it rises every tax year, and when you add all our allowences onto it, it's good pay. I have more than enough money left over to do what I want with, and as somebody else said, overtime definately perks up your pay check a lot. I LOVE OVERTIME! :)

Anyway, to anyone wanting to join, don't worry about the pay, cause it's fine!! I came here with 2000 Australian dollars, and a suitcase, and I'm doing just great!

MaxMet
8th May 2004, 11:15
Good pay at BA?

I think not!

Not if you want the convetional life!

On 18k - 20k per annum I think you would struggle to buy a house/flat in the South East pay council tax, insurance, utility bills and run a car on such a low wage and yes it is a low wage the average UK income is over 25k a year for an average 40hr week. I know that for crew to get near the 25k mark you need to work a lot more hours and spend a lot of time away from home.

18-20k is fine if you want to spend the rest of your life renting rooms in sh!" hole areas around London and dont want for much.

I am still wondering why people are bothering with becoming cabin crew? Is it lack of ambiton? Is it lack of academic qualifications? Is it a (I dont know what I want to do) type thing?

I know its not glamarous I know that you dont get to see much of the places you visit even back in the days I worked out of LGW.

Poor pay, No job security, Crap stop overs, unhealthy work environment. Why?

The above does not apply to dollies with rich partners that keep them in a manner in which they feel accustomed to.

MvM

:uhoh:

Patolucas
8th May 2004, 12:26
If you think BA payment is poor... go fly anywhere else...

redfred
8th May 2004, 17:35
you go and do your 40 hrs a week and join all the other lemmings on the motorways and sit behind yr desk allday drinking coffee whereas we can happily settle for 25k work 2 days a week and get a bit of a tan and happily work for one of the biggest airlines in the world.

EAF122
8th May 2004, 23:50
MAXMET

i have enough of you, you are in all the forums, and never with a positive coment, you know what, you should work at Mc Donalds, and leave us in peace, we dont want to hear anymore about you.
GET A LIFE

TightSlot
9th May 2004, 07:39
Rumours & News had an 8 page discussion about BA here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124412) and you can go there and read all 8 pages if you can stand it. It is one of the more depressing threads I have ever come across on PPrune, as it succeeds in making almost all of those posting from BA appear unattractive.

It would be nice to think that we could avoid similar animosity here in the CC forum. If we have to discuss BA wages here (and I wish we didn't since it appears to be such a divisive subject) then let's try and keep it away from personal attacks and strictly on the subject.

YYC F/A
9th May 2004, 15:14
we can happily settle for 25k work 2 days a week and get a bit of a tan and happily work for one of the biggest airlines in the world.

Before the anti-BA comments come out, and just to provide a bit more balance, most crew, certainly all who are starting now, are not making 25K a year working 2 days a week. EF LGW or EF LHR you will get 10 days off a month, so work average 5 days most weeks. Salary? 15-18k including allowances is more representative.

I don't know how RedFred manages to make 25K on only 2 days a week. The salary and T&C for most of those on the new contract at BA is reasonable for the industry, but still very low relative to the cost of living in London.

MaxMet
9th May 2004, 18:23
RedFred

I earn more than 25k a year (a lot more) and I dont sit in any traffic jams, I never drink coffee and I have never sat behind behind a desk in my life and I also work the hours that suit me. Amazing that you think the Commuterus regularis lifestyle is the only way to earn good money but then again your only ambition in life would appear to be getting a tan. You earn 25k? a year and work 2 days? you must be old BA.

EAF 122 ?!

When you look a the posting list in a forum you can see who made the posting before you actually read it. If you dont like what I say then dont waste your time reading the posting. I have as much right as everyone else to use this site until one of the moderators or Capt Danny says otherwise. One other thing you said that "WE" dont want to hear from me again I cant imagine that you are that popular to know everyone that uses prune.

Patolucas: I did!

Fond regards,

Maximilian von Metternich

:ok:

[

redfred
9th May 2004, 19:01
Like the name and the use of latin did you go to private school? well i hope yr happy in whatever your line of work is but if your life was so fulfilled you wouldnt come onto a cabin crew forum and start mouthing off im thinking you might be a tad jealous.

flapsforty
9th May 2004, 19:18
MaxMet I have edited your post. Because whatever your profession, on this forum we require you to keep a civil tongue in your mouth.
And please remember that while ALL are welcome on PPRuNe, when you are abusive towards or about the professional body of people for whom this forum was created, you will soon outstay your welcome. :)
flapsforty

EAF122
10th May 2004, 02:11
flapsforty:
thank you very much, for letting know Max Met how things are on
this forum.
Sincerely
EAF122

MaxMet
10th May 2004, 19:33
For my abusive tone Dreamin Dragon I will try to moderate it in future.

Who is to insinuate that I have nothing to do with this so called professional body on a day to day basis?

EAF 122 I cant be bothered with childish retorts. Good Luck with the job hunting.

RedFred: Jealous No! but thank you anyway.

Still no one answered my question as to why people were still trying to become cabin crew due to poor pay etc. I feel now that the question I was asking has answered itself.

Maximillan Clemens von Metternich:=

BA Boi
11th May 2004, 00:25
**** me! Max - you're a ****. :}

EAF122
11th May 2004, 02:42
MAXMET
i will answer your question, the reason why people still want to work as cabin crew , is because its not only about money in this life, also is the joy to work , meet people and be happy, and at the same time to replace people like you.
hope its clear to you.
i wish you all the best in the future
EAF122

Eddy
12th May 2004, 06:37
Max, Max, Max. You ask why anyone would want to be Cabin Crew (and more specifically, for British Airways). Let me tell you why :

1) Despite the grumblings within the BA crew community, the company is a fantastic one to work for. Job security is perhaps something you can rely on with British Airways more than most other firms (not just airlines) in the United Kingdom today.

2) We have one of the world's most extensive route networks, enabling all staff - both shorthaul AND longhaul - to visit and explore some truly fantastic destinations.

3) We are accommodated in some of the finest hotels in the world while overseas.

4) The social aspect of the job, in terms of socializing with fellow crew while downroute is tremendous.

5) Working on Gatwick Worldwide, I work TWO days a week. The rest of the week I am either on holiday in somewhere like Antigua, Barbados or Jamaica (places that many people spend £thousands to visit on vacation) or back at my home in Aberdeen.

6) I make GREAT money.

So let's re-word your question, my friend.

Why would anyone NOT want to be Cabin Crew??

You don't happen to be a former BA applicant who didn't make it through the recruitment process, do you?

MaxMet
12th May 2004, 17:57
No! Ex AML Ex BMED Ex many an Airline EX various contracts around the world.

Been there done that and like so many people and no doubt yourself when the novelty has worn off after a while you get bored of the Ritz Carlton Rose Hall and 12 hours sweating your boll£$" off on some foul fart smelling metal tube whilst covered in yoghurt and vomit (ever been to MBJ?). As for job security you were obviously not around BA in 2001-2002? How is life in Aberdeen maybe you are so rich now you have bought yourself a huge house in Milltimber more likey a small flat in Torry?! I am sure the money does seem fantastic compared to working in a travel agents. Oh! and the days down route do count as days worked not days off or holiday. Nice to see that you are still so positive but you have only been flying for a few months? wait until you lose your rose tinted specs I lost mine on my millionth visit to Tampa. Whatever you get paid I know that it is not enough.

BA Boi: Right back at ya Babe! Safe flying Big Boi!

EAF 122: Danke Schon!

Max glorious Millions:ok:

KTPops
12th May 2004, 22:55
Oh dear, when did this forum turn into a free for all?

MaxMet, please don't take this the wrong way, I wouldn't like to be at the end of one of your tongue lashings! It seems from your last post that you have trouble understanding why anyone would want to be CC no matter what company they work for.

It sounds as though you have done the flying thing and gotten completely sick of it which is fair enough, but you shouldn't really knock the chosen careers of so many other people on this forum who clearly DO love their jobs. It seems to me that that is asking for trouble!

Just an observation... ;)

Khaosai
13th May 2004, 11:35
Hi Max,
Torry is a great place to stay, and I think you will find that the property isn't as cheap as you may imagine. Friendliest community in the town too. I feel that you are having an unfair swipe at the profession, which many people love doing. A balanced view is one thing but your approach needs some reviewing. You didn't seem to suit the job, others do, and do it well. Good luck in your endeavours elsewhere. Rgds.

PropellerPaul
13th May 2004, 16:21
It sounds to me as if you need to get out of ythe 'flying' game maxmet. You sound very bitter & twisted about something? not being personal, just an observation from your post's on here over the last few days or so... as an ex-B.A. employee (Eurofleet LHR) & Ex-Caledonian employee (MAN) I'm still loving my job now after 13 years, I'm at easyJet now & I like the company, the money, the people & the way we're treated. I really do think that it depends on 'you' as a person. The way you look at & do things in life can make something 'good' or 'bad' if you know what I mean... I fly with quite alot of ex-crew from other airlines like myself & a minority of them do moan & go on! but remember, it's down to you as an individual to do something about it!!!!!

sixmilehighclub
15th May 2004, 12:28
Maxmet -

What has happened in your life to make you so bitter?? Most of us just learn from it, forget it and move on. You've insulted me with a few of your comments.

To quote you from another thread you've commented in: I have been to negative of late with regards to Airlines

No kidding! ...and everyone in them!!

People are entitled to make comments and to air their opinions on here, but everyone other than you seems to make more positive than negative comments.

Maybe you should get a hobby so that you have less time to store up a thunderstorm of anger in your sparetime and vent it off on the more friendly and constructive people on here.

Maybe fencing would be appropriate for you?

flybywire
16th May 2004, 09:38
as a junior in my current airline, in the tax year 2003 i made just under 12k.
Not enough, but i am still alive.
I doubt BA will be worse than this, even eurogatwick (people always refer to this as the "bad" BA)

I agree that many companies are "exploiting" young new crews who would die to do this job (look at the long queues at the interviews...)

From my point of view joining BA SH will give me NO night flights, NO seat pockets to dress and NO stressful and useless cabin services, and this is enough for me to change. Even if the money isn't that good, it's worth it.

Try to work for a UK charter airline and then tell me what you think!!!

Ciao!

FBW