PDA

View Full Version : FAA to JAA

carolosm
1st May 2004, 19:15
hi all

anyone here can tell me the easiest way to go from FAA to JAA without having to study the 14 subjects

Martin1234
1st May 2004, 19:54
I have heard that if you have a twin brother that wants to be a pilot as well you only need to study for 7 exams... but sit them at least twice.

However, there is a possibility for you to validate your commercial FAA certificate but you do need some hours, among other things multi crew hours, to do this.

There's also a possibility for you to take your certificate in a country that is soon to implement JAR-FCL. The only problem is that you might need to take the exams in the local language and wait quite a while till you are able to convert that national certificate to a JAR.

Charlie Zulu
1st May 2004, 20:56
Hi Carolsm,

Unfortunately there is no way of getting around the fact that everyone has to sit and pass all 14 JAA ATPL Exams if they are looking to hold a JAA licence.

Lasors contains quite a bit of useful information under Section D, Page 8, Subpart D1.5 entitled "Conversion of a Non-JAA Professional Licence To A JAR-FCL CPL(A)" states (I have just included the bits for the theoretical exams here):

NON-JAA CPL(A) Licence

Unertake CPL(A) theoretical knowledge instruction as determined by the Head of Training of an approved training provided and pass ALL of the JAR-FCL theoretical knowledge examinations at CPL(A) level. Applicants who wish to attempt examinations at a higher level (i.e. ATPL(A) level) must undertake the full 650 hour course of approved theoretical knowledge instruction and pass ALL of the JAR-FCL theoretical knowledge examinations at ATPL(A) level.

NON-JAA ATPL(A) Licence

Undertake CPL(A) and IR theoretical knowledge instruction as determined by the Head of Training of an approved training provider, and pass ALL of the JAR-FCL theoretical knowledge examinations at CPL(A) and IR level. APplications who wish to attempt examinations at a higher level (i.e. ATPL(A)) must undertake the full 650 hour course of approved theoretical knowledge instruction instruction and pass ALL of the JAR-FCL theoretical knowledge examinations at ATPL(A) level.

So if you'd like to obtain a JAA CPL/IR or JAA ATPL you'll need to undergo the full 650 hours of theoretical training and pass all 14 examinations. If you decided to do just the JAA CPL and IR theoretical examinations then you'd have to do the ATPL exams at a later date anyway if you wish to obtain a JAA ATPL.

Further there is an exemption to the full 650 hour ATPL(A) theoretical course detailed under Section G, Page 5, Subpart G1.5 Note 1 of Lasors:

ATPL(A) holders who have a minimum of 1500 hours flying experience as PIC of Co-pilot on multi-pilot aeroplanes (or single pilot aeroplanes operated as 2-pilots according to operational requirements) and hold a valid multi-pilot type rating for the aeroplane to be used for the ATPL(A) skill test and have at least 500 hours experience as pilot on that type, will be exempted from the requirements to complete an approved TRTO course or undergo approved training prior to undertaking the theoretical knowledge examinations and the skills test. Pilots with less than 500 hours expereience as pilot on the type to be used for the ATPL(A) skill test will be exempted from the requirements to undergo approved training prior to undertaking the theoretical knowledge examinations but will still be required to complete an approved type rating course. However, the course may be reduced to take account of previous experience on the same type upon recommendation by the TRTO to PLD.

G1.5 Note 2 of Lasors:

Different terms apply to ATPL(A) holders with a minimum of 3,000 hours flying experience as pilot of public transport aircraft over 30,000kgs MTWA on scheduled international or similar routes, infcluding a minimum of 1,500 hours as Pilot in Command (Captain). Applicants who believe they qualify should apply to PLD for a formal written assessment using form JAR-FCL 680 and enclosing the appropriate fee, acutal logbooks and non-UK licence (with validating medical certificate if seperate).

So as you can see you'll still need to do the 14 written exams no matter what. You may be exempt from doing the 14 exams if you ahve an FAA ATPL, 1500 hours of experience as a Captain on an aeroplane MTWA 30,000kgs or greater. But then again you'll in this case would have had to get yourself a job with an airline in the USA, so you'd have to have an FAA ATP in the first place AND gone through the ranks of first officer through to captain etc... could take at least a decade. Of course this route would require you to have a 4 year degree for the USA airlines AND a right to work and live in the USA! ;)

You might as well bite the bullet and do those exams!!!

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

carolosm
13th May 2004, 09:33
well thank you all for your respond

i see that there is no other way in doing this but studie or get e jet job.
i think i will go for the jet job

happy flying

BillieBob
13th May 2004, 11:35
i think i will go for the jet job In which case you should be aware that this route is not supported by JAR-FCL 1 and the licence that you get will be endorsed for use only in UK-registered aeroplanes.

747Dryvr
14th May 2004, 13:13
So being that I have 10,000 hours and most of them in the 747 and 1,500 PIC in the 747 could I qualify for a JAA and bypass the tests???

I hold a FAA ATP typed in the 747. I am looking at the Virgin expansion plans. Would I qualify for that?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers