PDA

View Full Version : reading books

dingducky
24th Aug 2001, 03:28
does anyone here still read books?
i have found that i read much less now that i have my pprune addiction.
i used to read alot. my parents met each other in a library and i always read alot was a child. athought would get in trouble with my teacher when i was about 11 because i was readng books like the clan of the clave bear book and ones by jackie collins and sydney sheldon. it seems she thought that these books had too much sex in them for sweet innocent little me ;)
but since i got the internet my reading has declined alot. my mum asked me if i had heard of the book left behind. i didn't think i had and then i realised that i actually had the book in my bookcase and had never read it! it was lent to me by a friend months ago (bio honey if you are reading this i will read it eventually, honest :D )
another book i was lent was the right stuff, it also sat in my room for months. i started reading it in january and i am still only halfway through it! :eek:
although i admit that i recently read a book all the way through (green eggs and ham :p )
i still find this situation worrying :cool:

PPRuNe Dispatcher
24th Aug 2001, 18:46
I'm not reading any less but the type of books I read has changed. I used to read a lot of sci-fi but now I'm more often found with my head in one of "Java applet programming", "Advanced HTML", "Perl/CGI reference", "JavaScript Reference Manual", :D

---Mik

Windy Militant
24th Aug 2001, 18:57
reading em! I've only just mastered not going over the lines with me crayons! :p

tony draper
24th Aug 2001, 19:22
Yeh, one time I could multi task,read three books, talk on the phone ,follow a doumentry, fill in my work sheets and expences, carry on a conversation,plan tommorrows jobs, all at the same time.
Now if I am reading, I have to follow the pint with my index finger and it takes great effort not to mouth the words as I read them, and if the phone rings, I have to go back to the begining of the chapter and read it all again.

[ 24 August 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

golden_hands
24th Aug 2001, 19:52
Just finished Boeing vol 1 & 2. :D
I still like to read a couple a year just to set the mind to something else before doing the 8 hr nap. I do like Wilbur Smith, Dick Francis and prefer to read them in English iso Dutch due to the language difference. Sometimes it's sheer impossible to translate a word.

Grainger
24th Aug 2001, 19:58
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire !

Hey, anything with "Gob" in the title 'sgotta be worth a look... :D

RW-1
24th Aug 2001, 20:57
Last good novels read were "Hannibal"
and "Timeline".

For now, it's either along the same vein as
dispatch, or it is the FAR/AIM, etc in prep for checkride.

Grainger
24th Aug 2001, 23:16
Ahh, FAR/AIM... .... .... zzzzzzz....

Oh ! Asleep: not me .... I think I got away with that one. :o

Just about to start Timeline - without giving away the plot... any good ?

RW-1
24th Aug 2001, 23:18
Yes, another great premise, well written, plausable (if you consider the tech sound, or would be sound) and a suprise ending, something Crichton has never done before in one of his stories ....

I wonder what the movie would b like?
They did do a CD-ROM game based upon the story, released same time as the book.

Let me know what you thought when finished, would make a good thread in itself.

[ 24 August 2001: Message edited by: RW-1 ]

Capt Homesick
25th Aug 2001, 04:46
Anything by Iain Banks, especially his sf stuff. Mind you, The Crow Road has the best opening line of any book I have ever read.
"It was the day my grandmother exploded." :eek:

JetAgeHobo
25th Aug 2001, 08:20
Stephen Coonts, Clive Cussler, done for this trip, "The Complete Idiots Guide to Motorcycles" (guess what my new hobby is when I get back to the states) Dale Brown next.

Got to have something to do on the 14 hour flights and when the only English programming on is "Horse racing from Macau" or those two clowns analyzing "Horse racing from Macau"

pjdj777
25th Aug 2001, 21:45
Currently reading "Gringo Soup" by JB Aspinall, fairly funny.

Best book this year has to be Jasper Fforde's "The Eyre Affair" - every bit as good as Pratchett, very clever, very funny and the guy has an interest in aviation and comes from Wales, a good bloke ;)

I've been recommending this thing to everyone - go out and buy it, it's a must, especially if you've ever wondered how bananas were invented, How Leigh Delware services got their name and how Richard III can be just like a night out at the Rocky Horror Show!!!

Had me in stitches from start to end.

Bio Warrior
26th Aug 2001, 03:17
Ding I have the secret to getting back into reading more ..... get a job without internet access and have a lunch hour stuck in a dull hospital with a bunch of, old, grumpy coworkers who only winge about hospital politics. IT has worked for me! :)

No wonder they worshiped cats in Egypt, we really do have all the answers ;)

-Bio

Throtlemonkey
26th Aug 2001, 10:06
I read far to much and often have a few books half opened at once, I'm currently half way through the star wars black fleet crisis series and also "Cry Wolf" by Wilbur Smith.

Just finished "The High And The Mighty" by Ernest Gann and it's an excelent read, I'm yet to see the movie. He also wrote one called "Fate Is The Hunter" which is excelent.

Feeton Terrafirma
26th Aug 2001, 14:13
I have managed to control my reading addiction since finding PPRuNe. The last book I read was Robert Jordans Wheel Of Time Series, Winters Heart. This is book 9 in the trilogy (I believe that beats Douglas Adams record of 6 books in a trilogy) and there is undoubtedly another one (possibly 3) in the story.

Book 9 came out just before last xmas, and here's hoping no 10 arrives this December.

In between, I read a lot of IT industry magazines, which assist with insomina :D

Unwell_Raptor
26th Aug 2001, 14:59
The most unlikely book I have read recently was 'Cod' by Mark Kurlansky. Someone had left a copy in the French house we rented.

I just glanced at it, and ended up engrossed for the whole evening. Yes, it's about fish!

The history of the cod fishery is the history of much of the Western world - for example I had no idea that the West Indies slave trade depended on salt cod to feed the slaves, and that as a corollary, rum is still distilled in Boston Mass. Thoroughly recommended.

rover2701
26th Aug 2001, 16:24
Just finished reading "A Vertical Empire" by C.N.Hill. About British space programme during 50s and 60s. Thoroughly recommended.
:) :) :)

Dave Hedgehog
27th Aug 2001, 21:05
Now about half way through Stephen Coonts' The Cannibal Queen. God i'd love to tour America in a vintage Stearman..... :(

Mac the Knife
28th Aug 2001, 01:48
Funnily enough U_R I read "Cod" recently too. A fascinating history with, as you say, many interesting titbits. Tho' I'm not really an ecowarrior I thought it a bit depressing that cod have been all but wiped out by overfishing.

For a very strange story of discovery and atonement try "The Reader" by Berhardt Schlink (1997).

Arm out the window
28th Aug 2001, 07:25
Don't worry. There's sure to be a 'Cod II - The Restocking' sequel.

Unwell_Raptor
28th Aug 2001, 10:50
Restocking? I hope so.

Otherwise, it looks like cod has had its chips.

You want it when?
28th Aug 2001, 11:59
I love to read.

However I'm currently being boring and reading Trevor Thom (weak plot, great on technical details), or the PPL confuser.

But I also enjoy Clive Cussler, Tom Clancy, Dale Brown, Richard Cromwell etc.. I have a much thumbed copy of Jonathons Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach as well as others he's written. A large collection of flying stories (even bought "The Penertrators" after it was recommended by another PPRuNer). Also a bit of a SciFi nut (never got into Bains though).

Commuting into London daily means I tend to burn up the books (Fahrenheit 451) - my local bookshop across the road gets about 100 a month off me, and I have so many paperbacks at home I could open a library :D

You splitter
28th Aug 2001, 12:26
Nothing wrong with a good book. A great aid to enducing sleep, plus a big help in avoiding too many night stop antics at the bar EVERY night!

Finished the 'Sharpe' series and thoroughly enjoyed them. Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy was on Beeb2 recently, but as I missed it all I dug out my very large hardback copy of the book and am currently enjoying working my way through the 'triology in five parts'!!