PDA

View Full Version : Speedway Grand Prix

AeroSpark
1st May 2004, 16:26
With the Grand Prix series starting again tonight I wondered if there were any other speedway loving prooners out there. Anyone got any predictions? Although I would love to see Mark Loram do it again I think it may be Jason Crumps year.

VFE
1st May 2004, 16:50
Big speedway fan here! Looking forward to tonights meeting. Reckon Leigh Adams will be the man tonight..... wouldn't rule out our boy Bart Loram either as he's on form lately.

But aside from that, will the love of my life be in the pits interviewing the riders this evening I wonder? For those wondering who I refer to: check her (http://www.simondaviessound.co.uk/Pictures/the%20lovely%20sophie%20large.jpg) out!

Tonight on Sky Sports 3 at 1800 BST.

:O

VFE.

AeroSpark
1st May 2004, 18:01
Sophie . Wouldn't mind seeing a double act with her and Suzi Perry (I mean interviewing of course;) ).
Lorams looking good so far, and I think the track suits him tonight. Heres a large one raised to an English victory tonight!:ok:

Rollingthunder
1st May 2004, 20:56
Is Michael Shoemaker in this one as well?l

VFE
1st May 2004, 21:28
Well my prediction was pretty accurate wasn't it! Shoulda put a tenner on Adams. Did not get to see as much of Sophie but I guess it was better than nothing. :E

VFE.

Paracab
1st May 2004, 21:48
Crikey, it would be worth watching it for her alone !

What an absolute babe, schwing !

Can see me seriously becoming a speedway fan this season... :8

reynoldsno1
2nd May 2004, 22:35
Prediction : Nicki Pedersen will not retain his world crown. Still think it will be Crump's year....

reynoldsno1
2nd May 2004, 23:38
Prediction : Nicki Pedersen will not retain his world crown. Still think it will be Crump's year....

VFE
2nd May 2004, 23:45
Nikki: Total loonatic, if he don't kill himself he'll kill someone else. Just hope it all happens quickly when it inevitably does yanno?

Adams: Had a hunch last night that he was the sweet cool Aussie who could sneak it and on last nights performance am willing to stick with him as my prediction for this years world champion folks.

VFE.

Justforkix
3rd May 2004, 06:58
All the statements about Nicky, is the reason why he has a chance of winning again this year. No one really believes he can do it, therefore he is still the underdog in most of his competitors minds and that is just what he needs to set him up.

VFE
3rd May 2004, 11:43
I am sure all the riders are keen to beat him because to be quite honest, he doesn't endear himself when he says things in the pits like "I will break every bone in your body" to respected and much loved riders like Tony Rickardson. The guy just strikes me as immature and erratic which is great to watch but not so sure I'd wanna be lining up on the outside of him. :hmm:

VFE.

AeroSpark
15th May 2004, 22:22
Well Nicky very nearly got his just desserts tonight. May have been a wet, greasy track but there was no way he should have put Greg into the fence like that. Too bad he throttled off in time in the re-run. Dirty little @sshole!:mad:
Looking good for the Ginger Whinger though...

VFE
17th May 2004, 12:05
Pedersen got what he deserved when Greg cut him off in the re-run. That is what I call justice and boy did I cheer! :D

As for the Ginger Whinger, must say I like ole Crumpy, granted he's a miserable so and so but there's something dry and likeable about him that I can't quite put my finger on. He seems permanantly pee'd off which is actually kinda funny in a way.....

VFE.

reynoldsno1
17th May 2004, 22:02
Totally agree, VFE, he is in a permanent state of angst - rather like a pantomime villain....

AeroSpark
8th Jun 2004, 22:04
Thought I would dig this up in time for Cardiff on Saturday night.
I'm hoping against hopes for a home victory, but I think its also about time a certain Mr Rickardsson got on the top step.
;)
Predictions please.

reynoldsno1
9th Jun 2004, 01:27
1.. Crump (behind you......)
2. Rickardsson
3. Adams
4. N. Pedersen

Smudger
9th Jun 2004, 09:08
Swindon Robins fan here, been going to as many meetings as I could make(work permitting) for several years now. Up into the Elite league this season, struggling a bit with injuries etc, looking forward to seeing them slay Eastbourne at Swindon on Thursday.

VFE
9th Jun 2004, 17:28
1. Crump
2. Adams
3. Gollob
4. Rickardsson

Should be a great meeting and I shall be there savouring the beery atmosphere waving my Cross of St George! Would be nice if we had an England victory and who knows - maybe wildcard Havelock will suprise us all! :}

Any of you guys seen this (http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/) forum? Very good for getting the latest news and views from fans who are even more sadder than us!

For those interested: the British Speedway Grand Prix will be shown live from the Millenium Stadium, Cardiff this Saturday on one of the Sky Sports channels at around 6pm. Check national press for better details.

VFE.

AeroSpark
9th Jun 2004, 20:59
Thats a really good forum VFE, had it in my favourites for a while.
A couple of other useful links - http://liveupdates.proboards25.com/index.cgi
for live updates from domestic meetings and GPs.

And http://www.speedwayplus.co.uk/programme_generator.shtml
This is a brilliant little site that will create you a scoresheet so you can print one out if your'e too tight to buy a programme:} (or just fill it in while watching the match on sky like I do:rolleyes: )

VFE
9th Jun 2004, 22:53
I like that programme generator Aero! Shame it doesn't have one for individual meetings such as this Saturdays Grand Prix! Don't fancy forking out 5 just to keep tabs on who's winning yanno.....

VFE.

AeroSpark
13th Jun 2004, 07:50
What a fantastic meeting! Well done to all the Brits, especially 'Floppy' Norris, a superb performance in his first ever GP!:ok:

VFE
13th Jun 2004, 14:40
Fantastic to see Norris do so well. Fantastic atmosphere and even better seeing as I was sat not too far from the bar! Shame about the silly tart sat in front of me who tried to start a punch-up. She was supporting Nikki Pedersen........ answers all your questions doesn't it. :rolleyes:

VFE.

VFE
4th Sep 2004, 16:23
Who's your money on tonight then?

I shall go with Nikki Pedersen but don't ask me why!

VFE.

AeroSpark
5th Sep 2004, 07:54
That was vintage TRick - who would bet against him making it world title number 6 on that performance? Especially if Grumpy bottles it again!

LooseConnection
5th Sep 2004, 15:18
Being a pruner hadn't spied this thread I'm afraid but interesting reading. :\

I get the impression that you lot think Adams is the man, 99.9999% of us Aussies consider him a "pussie".

How come he makes all the semis, but when some real fortitude is required he goes missing ------ Consistently ! :sad: When it's required to put it on the line, unable due to large wide streak down the back.
Technically he is probably the best in the world, by far.

To achieve the ultimate you need Mongrel ------- Adams doesn't have it.

PREDICTION ----- He will never win the Title while his proverbrial is pointing at the ground! :suspect:

Crump IS THE MAN :E

VFE
5th Sep 2004, 15:33
You could be right there mate. Leigh Adams is abit of a Dave Jessop - great rider who never won the title. My hopes are on Jason, amazing how skinny and feeble he looks in the flesh though! He started life at my local club and I've followed him ever since. Born in Bristol, UK too so the tenuous national link is there however all the Aussie riders are fine with me. :ok:

VFE.

reynoldsno1
5th Sep 2004, 23:22
Nice to see Young Hans get to his 2nd final....

LooseConnection
6th Sep 2004, 05:59
So do you think Crumpie can hang on for a memorable World Title after being the "bridesmaid" for the last 3yrs ?

I suppose you of the old country will want to claim him as your own if he gets up just because he was born in Bristol and is 50% Pom. :p

Had nothing to do with his Grandfather "Billy" and Father Phil doing a little forward planning to get around the ridiculous obstacles put in place by the British Authorities which denies the Speedway World and The Old Country of seeing a lot of quality young talent from the antipodes. :ok:

VFE nice to see the "boys" that make it over there are accepted by most, don't forget we down under enjoy your boys to. Unfortunately of recent years doesn't seem to be enough of the real talent making the trip down under for a season or two.
I well remember the days of the likes of Jimmy Gooch, Ken McKinley and many others making the trip.

AeroSpark
6th Sep 2004, 16:46
So do you think Crumpie can hang on for a memorable World Title after being the "bridesmaid" for the last 3yrs ?

If Rickardsson can keep going the way he was on Saturday then I don't think he will. JC seems to have a habit of cracking under pressure and I reckon this year will be the same.

Anyone going to the ELRC on Sunday?

VFE
6th Sep 2004, 20:06
Loose Connection,

Yup, the Aussie riders are always good guys and Peterborough (my home club) has long been nicknamed their home from home. Seen many of them over the years.... actually, my old man used to be mechanic for one rider named John Stayte (from Townsville) back in the 70's. Think my grandfather rode with Ken McKinley too just before he retired - got photo's of them together somewhere anyway so........ you must be old!! :p

Aerospark,

Not going ELRC on Sunday but if Sky are showing it I shall of course be watching. You been watching the Eagles meet tonight? What is with Sky Sports fascination with showcasing meetings from there this year? Suitcases under the table or wah??!! :confused:

VFE.

AeroSpark
6th Sep 2004, 21:20
He he, think it may have something to do with the brothers Russell, notice how many times Arena have been on as well;)

VFE
6th Sep 2004, 21:37
Ah! All becomes clear!

Been an interesting meet tonight. Missed the Norris' accident but heard he's broken his ankle - apparently he shot through the fence too. That last accident in heat 14 has to be one of the worst I've seen in a long time. Taken them 45 minutes to get Jensen off the track and into the ambulance so far and we're still waiting..... :(

VFE.

LooseConnection
7th Sep 2004, 14:20
VFE yes man I am an "old carn" BUT it's only the body the mind is still young.

I was only a young chap when McKinley was around but I also remember well watching the likes of Mauger long before he was a name. Also Phil Crump in the early days.

If you're ever "South of the Equator" PM me as I have a shed full of equipment including a JAP 84S which I've been known to "throw the leg over" on many occasions. :E

VFE
7th Sep 2004, 15:38
Wow! Those JAPS were chunky machines! Would be good to see todays riders on one of those things - they'd be straight out the stadium, wouldn't even turn the corner!

VFE.

reynoldsno1
7th Sep 2004, 21:13
Ivan Mauger said recently, that, at 60-odd, the only speedway bike he would ride now would be one of the modern ones - those old JAPs are just toooooo hard....
Saw Peter Craven ride once when I were a young 'un. About 5'3" and 7stone (PC that is) - he never ever looked as though he had to wrestle with the machine at all - poetry in motion...

LooseConnection
8th Sep 2004, 02:12
JAP Well my 84S handles pretty well and according to a couple of "young hotshots" who have ridden it on occassions, they say it "drives" like a modern laydown as far as putting the power to the track.

A grippy track makes life exciting I can tell you :}

A mate has a 5 Stud JAP and it's a beast, you have to bury the handle bar into the dirt to turn it.

The adrenalin rush is what it's all about Cheers LC :E

VFE
8th Sep 2004, 12:30
Love the old wide handlebars. :ok:

Interesting to see how the handle bar styles have changed throughout the years don't you think? I love sitting in my old mans attic now and again, wading through his old mans speedway paraphernalia. Different game back then completely.

Would have loved to have seen the riders you guys saw...... Craven, Fundin, Mauger et al....

Still, I guess Rickardsson is a world hero comparable to those guys now isn't he!

VFE.

LooseConnection
17th Sep 2004, 03:22
So who is the MONEY on this W.E. :}

VFE
18th Sep 2004, 15:01
Loram! Only kiddin'......

Let me see..... sod it.... I'll have a squid on Rickardsson tonight. He was light years ahead of all the other muppets at the last GP. I once nervously approached TR for his autograph when I was kid..... Rospigarna touring a frozen UK..... I can honestly say that a more likeble, laid back, funny and amiable rider I've yet to meet. Noticing my shivering he said: "....it's cold here tonight isn't it..... would you like a cup of tea?" Amazing! The guy is a legend and simply takes the piss when he's on form.

Anyone remember Bobby Ott? Showtime.......

VFE.

AeroSpark
18th Sep 2004, 16:00
1. Rickardsson
2. Gollob
3. Johnsson
4. Andersen

LooseConnection
19th Sep 2004, 02:12
52 years is a long time between drinks, but I think Crumpie has it. His old man and Billy Street will be stoked.

He only has to wheel his bike out for the main event and he gets 5 pts that means TR HAS to win the meeting and JC get no more than 8 pts.

He has it --- almost :ok:

VFE
19th Sep 2004, 10:48
Let's hope he can stay out of mischief until the next GP then! A serious injury would be just his luck..... :rolleyes:

VFE.

AeroSpark
2nd Oct 2004, 20:23
Congratulations to Grumpy, finally won it after what seems like an eternity:ok: And well done agian to Tony R for another emphatic victory - lets hope he keeps it up next year.

The new format for 2005 sounds much better, 20 heats, five rides for each rider, followed by two semi's and a final. Only problem is we have to wait until next May:{

VFE
2nd Oct 2004, 21:43
Good ole Crumpster! :D

Was well chuffed to see him lift that trophy tonight. About bloody time!

The new format sounds better. More quality races from start to finish instead of sitting it out in the bar until the top notch boys come into the proceedings at heat 6 or whatever heat it is! :ok:

Looking forward to the Elite League Final. Leg one on Monday (I'll be working :( ) and the second leg Monday week. Should be two top meetings.

VFE.

LooseConnection
3rd Oct 2004, 00:50
Finally :O :O :O :O

Now I'm looking forward to getting my hands onto a tape !

reynoldsno1
3rd Oct 2004, 20:49
Well done Crumpy, now for the Pirates to lift the league title again....