PDA

View Full Version : All the go-arounds lately on 03R

RUDAS
1st May 2004, 12:43
Anybody have an idea about all the go-arounds in the last few weeks on 03R? Saw a lot more than usual recently,and it wasn't wx related as it's been CAVOK most of the time...?

Solid Rust Twotter
1st May 2004, 13:25
Training........?:cool:

REAL ORCA
1st May 2004, 14:38
Spacing........?:E

1st May 2004, 21:51
Spacing and training..............:E :E

Deanw
3rd May 2004, 11:30
Training for spacing :E :E :E

RUDAS
3rd May 2004, 11:32
hi guys...i doubt quite strongly that virgin would come all this way for training on how to perform a go-around.same goes for emirates (times 2)! it may be spacing,but as far as i could tell from the ramp,the rwy was clear and there was no close following traffic on final...

i was thinking it might be more to do with the ils on 03r...like perhaps its been playing up or something?:confused:

EltorroLoco
3rd May 2004, 12:44
I dunno about the others, but I was working when Emirates went around the last time.

He said he wasn't stable on the approach. Fair comment, I guess, he was vectored for a shortened ILS and ended up getting the localizer, glide and the outer marker all at the same time.

Oh well, you win some, others go around...

Ernie Sparks
4th May 2004, 05:38
If it the same VIR flight I am thinking of, It went around due a tailwind. No training or controller error.:hmm:

REAL ORCA
4th May 2004, 05:52
So who decides when a runway change should occur?

RUDAS
4th May 2004, 10:54
as far as i understand,it's atc that makes the decision about rwy changes,but since they're not always focussed on what the wind's doing,sometimes they require prompting from pilots who report tailwinds.

Little One
4th May 2004, 12:53
The Tower ATC decides on the active RWY and they are aware of the wind since they have to give the wind everytime someone lands or takes off however it is not always a simple procedure to change the RWY as the sequence has to be considered. Acft that are planing on a downwind are usually high as they plan to loose the hight on the downwind where as acft on a straight in approach (Again a sore point) would be lower so if we swing the RWY the traffic inside 75NM will be too high most of the time. It isn't always a quick thing to change the RWY and can take 30min sometimes as the sequence is planned as such. Acft on the Taxi are also considered as all the taxiways ae unidirectional meaning one can't just do a 180 on them. However one can still backtrack if really neccecary.

Other factors that are used in selecting a RWY (there are actually 11 in the ATC book in total) are how many taxiways one has to use. use of navaids (ILS etc),airspace restrictions. So if the wind is less than 10kts sometimes we will prefer to use a downwind RWY instead as the facilities are better that serve it. With the VIR incident the TWR ATC had considered a RWY change but due to restrictions from a Radar vectoring point of view it the change was delayed.

Also the ATC will usually contact the met people to see the predicted trend before swinging but although they try they are not always 100% correct.

With a thunder storm as well the wind will change very rapidly and then once the cell has moved change again so this further complicates the change as one can't always plan for it.

REAL ORCA
4th May 2004, 17:41
I understand that it is not easy to change runway during busy times, but also understand that the pilots have their own set of limitations to apply depending on the type of aircraft. Go-arouds will therefor happen if the conditions are outside these limits.

Typically we can accept a 10-15 knot tailwind for landing depending on flap and weight considerations. For take-off 10 knots max when dry and NO tailwind when wet.

The above is a rough guide BUT ONE SHOULD ALWAYS ATTEMPT TO T/O AND LAND INTO WIND. Not all aircraft has the facility to indicate head/tail wind on final approuch. When cleared to land, please indicate tailwind conditions if it does exist instead of light and variable.

Shoot!:E

EX-ATC
5th May 2004, 07:46
Stand by for more go-arounds during June.

The ILS on 03R will be replaced during Jun04 with a Normarc7000 System and DME. The same system that is currently installed at FAGG RWY29 and FAPE RWY08. Systems scheduled for flight calibration on 30 Jun 04. Rumour has it that it is the best system in the world ito reliability and stability.