PDA

View Full Version : Godwins's Law

Mac the Knife
29th Mar 2002, 17:31
One of the most famous pieces of Usenet trivia out there is "if you mention Hitler or Nazis in a post, you've automatically ended whatever discussion you were taking part in". . .. .http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/legends/godwin/. .. .Does make you thing about JB, don't it? Worth a read and a laugh.

Davaar
30th Mar 2002, 07:34
Glad to see you again, Mac. We have not met since you analogised me to Calvin vis-a-vis Servetus, truly hurtful.. .. .Godwin’s pioneering work is new to me, but I can see his formulation goes beyond mere hypothesis and approaches the dignity of Law.. .. .I say “pioneering”, though in a sense he steps on old and perhaps now-forgotten ground, the published research of the late S Potter, of Aldeburgh, on Gamesmanship and Oneupmanship, circa 1950.. .. .Would you agree that a quiet conversational reference to Godwin comes very close to a Gambit or Ploy, perhaps even a plonk, more vivid but no more telling, than the old Master’s “But Not in the South!”, that killed so many enthusiasms in the dear dead days?