PDA

View Full Version : Reliable, cheap broadband?

Brenoch
1st May 2004, 11:45
Can someone point me in the right direction when it come to what the title says? I'm looking for atleast 0.5mbit/sec.

Regards

Saab Dastard
1st May 2004, 13:13
I've had Telewest 512 (soon to be 768) since last August with only a minor hiccup over installation. I'm not aware of any outages / contention problems.

£10 install, £25 per month. That's with a Telewest 2nd phone line, though.

SD

Keef
1st May 2004, 23:36
There's a website with much of the info you need - www.adslguide.org.uk

That will tell you what the customers think of them.

I'm with Pipex and happy; there is one out there that calls itself broadband but isn't - it's something like 150k. Not sure how they do it, or why they advertise it as broadband.

amanoffewwords
1st May 2004, 23:57
I did quite a lot of research for my Dad re Broadband in the UK - gave me a nice headache but eventually went for the services of plus.net (http://www.plus.net) - the option without the modem cost £18.99 x month + VAT for full-blown unrestricted bband access. Startup cost are quite high but I reckon you save long term.

I'm going down to see my Dad today to hook it up - I'll come back and revise my post if it goes t*ts up. :uhoh:

hth
Charles

ps. Personally I use Telewest Blueyonder - very pleased with it but it's definitely not the cheapest.

Capt Chambo
2nd May 2004, 07:49
FWIW I recently went through the same process, and went with Pipex.

The monthly costs are comparable with everyone else for 512k down (256k up), but the USB "modem" and filters are cheaper than most.

What finally swung it though was recommendations from PPRuNers, and I have not been disappointed.

P.Pilcher
2nd May 2004, 20:59
I can support the comments about plus.net. I have been using this service since last November and had no problems.

P.P.

Loony_Pilot
3rd May 2004, 00:23
Hi,

You might find this site useful.

http://www.net4nowt.co.uk/

I use Pipex (www.dsl.pipex.com), they're pretty cheap and reliable. Most of my family and friends use them and have had no problems. If you plan to use the connection for more than one computer, its probably best to opt for a package where you can buy your own router/modem. Bulldog also do a good ADSL service and its dirt cheap.

Pete

Brenoch
3rd May 2004, 11:05
Thanks alot all..

Most helpfull

Brenoch
3rd May 2004, 12:31
Hmm, started looking around on these websites and it appears that most of them have a minimum of twelve months commitment.. I only need mine for 6 months..
Any suggestions??

amanoffewwords
3rd May 2004, 13:38
plus.net does have monthly contracts - i.e. can be terminated with 1 month's notice.

hth
Charles

amanoffewwords
3rd May 2004, 15:57
Well, I attempted to connect my Dad's PC to plus.net yesterday, and yes it did go t**s up....BUT it was BT's fault (surprise surprise). They "forgot" to switch the service on (despite confirming the activation date etc to plus.net).

At least it gave me the "opportunity" to test the support from plus.net.

And I must say I was very impressed. They have an on-line reporting system (as well as a phone number) - query was answered within two hours asking for more info, I replied, one hour later BT were on the case. Early this morning BT called to apologise etc and line up now.

That just leaves me to configured my Dad's router and he should be away - will report back on Thursday (using this thead as my personal blog..!).

Charles

TimS
4th May 2004, 11:33
Have used Fast24 for a couple of my UK based colleagues and am very impressed - also offer minimum contract of three months and very competitive pricing.

Hope that helps

TimS

timmcat
4th May 2004, 11:40
Can also recommend plus.net for dial up.. a tenner a month for 20 hours anytime per week (and 1am to 7am does not count toward your quota). Excellent support. I've been with them over 6 months and no complaints whatsoever.