PDA

View Full Version : DJ go-around YMML 0345Z 01/05/04

Buster Hyman
1st May 2004, 04:04
Okay, okay, I know! It's just a go around, nothing in it...but...

As I sat, snug in my warm house, I spy a DJ 738 (I think) on approach to RWY 27 bank right just prior to passing Gellibrand hill and do a slow circuit over Greenvale. It then resumed it's approach into 27 to, I assume, a perfectly normal landing. Now, go arounds, etc, don't concern me that much, but I'm curious as to the way this one was done.

My "limited" understanding is that, where safe to do so, you continue your heading & climb out to a determined altitude & return to the approach or new runway. I'm sure this manouvre I observed was completely normal & sanctiond by the Tower, but is it SOP for commercials?

Any forthcoming education would be most appreciated. :D

compressor stall
1st May 2004, 04:08
If you have 8/8 of blue, ATC permission, then you could orbit on a long final (at a safe height) to let that pesky plane ahead get off the runway otherwise you will have to go around a lower level, scare the pax, (OMG we are all going to die the plane is pointed straight up in the air) fly out to the wrong side of the airport then get in the cue again somewhere near the OM now 12 miles away....

VVS Laxman
1st May 2004, 04:37
This may have been a wake turbulance 'turn out'; the separation standard existed still, but due to relative closing speeds it (the wake sep std) wasn't going to be there closer to the tar; turn out keeps the standard; straight ahead doesn't, unless you get height, which isn't always an option...

Just outside Gellibrand does seem awfully close to do it; but it has been done before...

The tower and approach have a bit of a thing going on at present re wake turb, so neither are taking 0.1NM chances anymore; turn him out...

Buster Hyman
1st May 2004, 04:53
Thanks chaps. I deliberately avoided the "my house was seconds away from disaster" type thread!:rolleyes: I will, however, have to search for the dog....:hmm:

:ok:

hoss
1st May 2004, 07:15
Your too efficient Buster:ok: . It's on PPRuNe before the Captain even has the chance to fill out the report (assuming a go-around):) .

Nice work, hoss:)

DJ737
1st May 2004, 09:28
I too saw the DJ738 this arvo from my vantage position in Roxburgh Park, but it didn't seem out of the ordinary, just a go around, we also get them passing overhead from a 34 go around as well, the 747's look pretty neat going around from 34 to 27, which happens most times some foreigner to YMML decides Echo is a better option than the high speed, with the locals on a short final. :zzz:

DJ737

The Roo Rooter :E :ok:

Buster Hyman
1st May 2004, 11:58
Ahh, DJ737, you, like me, must enjoy it when 09 is active for TO's! Must scare the pants off of the Allanbrae residents though!

Hoss, more efficient than I imagined! I even videoed it! (How sad has my life become!:sad: );)

Freedom7
6th May 2004, 18:18
BH

Answer- The Virgin acft was high on final and given one right hand orbit to facilitate landing on 27.

Buster Hyman
6th May 2004, 22:51
Cheers F7!

PS. Found the dog!:ok:

amos2
7th May 2004, 04:10
...obviously the dog realised his dog house was "seconds away from disaster"...

he may need couselling Buster! :p

Buster Hyman
7th May 2004, 05:37
Serves me right amos, should've taught it to read The Age instead of the Herald Sun!!!!:p