PDA

View Full Version : We are now 25 countrys in the EU

peb
1st May 2004, 00:00
Now we are 25 countrys in the EU since a few minutes ago.
I dont know how good is this but they are wellcome. 500.000.000 people lives in EU.

:ok:

Bre901
1st May 2004, 00:14
Before the Sun readers jump in, I'd like also to welcome the newcomers.

They are not really newcomers, though, they are rather long lost brothers, separated by WWII and the cold war and now reunited.

Couldn't have found a better place for a thousandth p**t

Send Clowns
1st May 2004, 00:20
Great to have them in. Very glad the UK is extending such a welome to them. There are some wonderful people over in central Europe.

Kiting for Boys
1st May 2004, 00:49
Concur

Did anyone see that movie about Czech pilots in the RAF

Blue something or other

airship
1st May 2004, 01:18
If we could only move back to the gold standard, today's Europe could be like it was a few hundred years ago! ;) How does one say hello and welcome in the new lingoes?! :D

tinpis
1st May 2004, 02:14
Draper will be chuffed :hmm:

Ozzy
1st May 2004, 03:42
Actually, "500.000.000" and a darned sight more live in the geographic "EU". I welcome the new members to the "club" and trust they will make the monetary contributions to uphold the French and German agricultural and fisheries businesses and relieve the current members of some of that burden. Thanks!

Ozzy:ok:

Loony_Pilot
1st May 2004, 03:45
and most of these new countries have prettier girls and cheaper beer!! (ducks)

con-pilot
1st May 2004, 04:19
Ok great. When are you going to get a single Air Traffic Control System?:E

Boss Raptor
1st May 2004, 09:40
Better educated staff with better attitudes, better places to live/work with better climates...and more/better girls to have as gf's and fly them in for long weekends without having to get them a visa... :rolleyes:

Fujiflyer
1st May 2004, 11:18
Agree and share the above sentiments. Nice not to see the usual negativity which is normally prevalent when discussing European issues, :ok:

Fujif

Grandpa
1st May 2004, 14:35
And may I say that I hope Turkey will be able to join soon, taking the same path these have taken before, so that we can show we can live together and improve our society whatever our race or religion is.

Iakshamlar!

Loki
1st May 2004, 15:55
Grandpa:

I agree (and not for the first time). However, Turkey is going to have to do something about its appalling human rights record.

If Turkey should join, who`s next? where do we draw the European line? One could make a case for Turkey not being in Europe after all as most of it is the other side of the Bosphorus.

spork
1st May 2004, 17:00
The new members as of today are Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, and Slovenia. I don't know how to say welcome in their languages, but I think that generally, the British will welcome them in.

Don't forget that when "poorer" countries joined in the past, the media said we'd be overrun with benefit scroungers and it didn't happen then. As regards Turkey, for a while now Bulgaria, Romania and Turkey have been "candidates" for EU membership.

"Turkey is going to have to do something about its appalling human rights record." exactly what are you talking about when you say that Loki?

Loki
1st May 2004, 20:24
Spork:

http://www.hr-action.org/thr/

Ok?

DeepC
1st May 2004, 21:28
A hearty welcome for all the new countries to the EU. Not a bad club to be in when it comes to peace dividends, working and trading. We'll do our best to stop it becoming a superstate!

DeepC

Grandpa
1st May 2004, 23:52
You are right Loki, and I didn't explore your link because I'm well aware of human right problems in Turkey.

You could make an easy comparison with USA!
Confronted with terrorist ,Turk governments used undiscriminated violence against minorities and prisoners treatment in their jails had nothing to envy to that of Afghanistan war prisoners in Guantanamo camps.

Under pressure of Europe they began to correct their policy, and you can see also they turned in the good direction concerning Cyprus.

For sure they have a long way to go to enhance human rights and men/women equality.

1- My opinion is that, urged by economic necessity to enter Europe, and by their own citizen's pressure, Turk authorities will accelerate their move toward a true democracy.

2-If that occurs, if Turkey is linked progressively to Europe, it's also my opinion the result will be of enormous importance for human rights and democracy in the Middle East, and will help to build a more powerfull Europe, either on economic or spiritual grounds.

pigboat
2nd May 2004, 02:27
26, were the Rom to be considered a nation. :E

Loki
2nd May 2004, 12:28
Grandpa:

I hope it plays out the way you envisage. My other point was the true extent of Europe. Can you really see Turkey as being in Europe? I have difficulty in accepting territory on the other side of the Bosphorus as being in our continent.

takenthe5thamendment
2nd May 2004, 18:08
I have just been directed to this news story by a friend :D

From http://www.deadbrain.co.uk/news/article_2004_05_01_0150.php

SPECIAL REPORT: Britain capsizes under weight of EU immigration

1 May 2004

Mainland Britain tonight capsized and is rapidly sinking following a sudden influx of migrants from Eastern Europe. The island got into difficulties in the early hours of this morning when "billions of asylum seekers" left their own countries en masse and made their way to the UK, where they intended to simultaneously "sponge off the state" and "take away jobs from hardworking British people".

According to eyewitnesses, the "illegal" migrants used whatever means of transport they could find to make their journeys, including donkeys, boats, caravans, wheelbarrows, cars, lorries, aircraft, inflatable bananas, spaceships and "over two million space hoppers".

"It was a terrifying sight as hundreds of thousands of dirty money-grabbing good-for-nothings bounced over the horizon," said one Daily Mail correspondent from his fortified observation post in no-man's-land (formerly the German border with Poland). "These people were in a terrible state but they are a sign of things to come. Some were so poor they were forced to share their space hoppers – on one I counted no less than four men, two women, six flee-bitten children and their pet dog, which almost certainly had rabies."

Within hours of the first newly-legal illegal asylum seekers arriving in the south of England, house prices in some areas had plunged to negative figures. In Southampton, prices in one street tumbled from Ł300,000 to Ł-40,000 and falling, before estate agents had even opened. "There are so many migrants here from Eastern Europe I would pay someone to take my house from me, just so I can leave," said one householder, whose garden contained Polish immigrants stacked up to three high. "I've never been so desperate to leave anywhere in my life. They've ruined this country and it's not even breakfast time yet."

By lunchtime, scientists were predicting a shortage of oxygen in the Midlands. "Our tests show that oxygen levels have halved since this morning," said Professor Douglas Ramsbottom. "There are literally so many immigrants here people are unable to breathe. If they don't go back to their home countries immediately people will start dropping like flies."

However, the number of immigrants arriving continued to rise and tabloid journalists were soon reporting a severe shortage of emotive water-related similes and metaphors. "We've used deluge, flood, flow, drown, torrent, inundate and more to death over the last few months," said Piers Morgan of the alleged Mirror. "If we don't get a delivery of new thesauruses soon then the paper will run out of rubbish to print."

Even then, though, as "newspaper" readers faced a major shortage of anti-immigration scare mongering, the full extent of the crisis was yet to be realised. Since mid-afternoon, water from the North Sea had been quietly seeping onto farmland in Norfolk unnoticed, but as farmers stepped over the migrants that were now covering their fields and went to listen to the full time football results, a giant tremor struck England, causing major damage to property.

While the emergency services attempted to cope with the consequences of millions of collapsed buildings, a second tremor struck and the full horror became apparent: mainland Britain was rapidly sinking under the weight of immigration. Within minutes, London was under hundreds of metres of water, and the tide was fast-approaching Birmingham.

Tonight, as DeadBrain makes this report from its oilrig base in the North Sea off what used to be East Yorkshire, only the northern tip of Scotland remains of Great Britain. Those who could escape before the country capsized did so, including a large number to Ireland, but initial estimates suggest that tens of millions of people have died as a direct result of expanding the European Union. Ireland is now struggling under the weight of immigrants and is already under several inches of water. Bertie Ahern has made a televised address pleading for people to leave before the country sinks.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for the British government, who happily accompanied the Prime Minister and key members of the Cabinet onboard a Navy rescue submarine, said in a radio broadcast that government would go on. "The Prime Minister would like to assure what is left of Britain that your government is looking after you in this time of crisis. We are perfectly safe, so long as this nuclear reactor holds out, even if you aren't," he said. "But your rubbish will still be collected, your trains will still run slightly late but not as late as under the Tories, and the administration of this country will continue. Life must go on."

"We don't yet know how many people have died, but I would like to make it clear that there was no way of knowing that this disaster would occur, but it almost certainly had its roots in the policy of the last Conservative government. We have already signed a contract with Halliburton to begin reconstruction of Britain," he added. "I would ask that you give them your cooperation."

The spokesman added that he thought it unlikely that Gordon Brown, Michael Howard, Clare Short, or "a number of other opposition figures" had survived the capsize, and a new Chancellor would be appointed in the coming days. "To ensure that the procedure for selecting people to be rescued was fair, Lord Hutton will conduct an inquiry as soon as possible," he said, warning that biased reporting by whatever was left of the BBC would not go unpunished.

airship
2nd May 2004, 18:58
Pilot's (quick) guide to Poland:

You are beautiful. - Jesteś piękna
Would you like to eat something? - Czy masz ochotę coś zjeść?
Your eyes are so beautiful. - Masz takie piękne oczy
Would you like to go to the movies? - Czy chcesz pójść do kina?
Can I hold your hand? - Czy mogę trzymać Cię za rękę?
What would you like to do after the movie? - Co chciałabyś robić po filmie?
I divorced last year - Rozwidłem się w ubiegłym roku

:O

WeatherJinx
2nd May 2004, 19:35
I hope that Turkey will eventually accede to the EU. Loki, your argument appears to mask a bias and your website link has, interestingly, no story more recent than five years old. I'll try to balance some of the myths and misperceptions:

Turkey today is very different than even five years ago. Some human rights issues remain, but even the main HR organisations are monitoring quantum improvements.

The present Government are, contrary to most observers' predictions, performing well both domestically and in foreign matters (the recent positive shift in world perception of Turkey regarding the Cyprus issue being an example). The reforms required as part of the EU 'Acquis' (the legislation and case law adopted since the creation of the European Community) are being legislated and implemented at a breathtaking pace.

In terms of real and business infrastructure, Turkey is way ahead of some of yesterday's EU joiners. Add to that a hard working, educated and industrious population, with a very young demographic (something the ageing West is going to need very badly and soon).

The 'what about human rights?' reflex of the anti-Turkish constituency is a Red Herring. The real sticking point of course, in all this (even though none of the politicians will admit it) is Islam. 99% of Turks are Muslim - their brand of Islam is both very moderate and secular (Kemal Ataturk having effectively separated faith from State in 1923). Surprisingly to some, no doubt, the country also maintains strong relations and close business ties with Israel.

I feel that Turkey should be encouraged to show some of its more restless neighbours that a secular democracy can live happily with Islam and that such an arrangement can lead to political and economic stability. Turkey is fast gaining on both counts. It can and should be regarded as an aspirant model for the Middle East.

Major adjustments are going to be needed to accomodate a land with a population almost as high as all yesterday's new arrivals put together - but the accomodation of this country into the EU family will, I believe, prove to be hugely beneficial to Europe, not to mention visionary and wise.

Jx

PS Boss Raptor/Loony_Pilot - it also scores rather well on your criteria, too ;)

And Grandpa, it's 'Iyi aksamlar' (good evening!) :ok:

spork
2nd May 2004, 19:52
Have to agree WeatherJinx - well said. Turkey will be in the EU afore long. And I noticed the age of the Loki linked info, but thought better of going off thread too much. I completed a contract over there recently, and I have to agree Turkey has made huge progress in recent years.

Guantanamo - hmm... Touchy subject - best not go there methinks!

Boss Raptor
2nd May 2004, 20:25
And since is Turkey in any way connected to Europe? having been there many times I begin to wonder?! :confused:

Grandpa
2nd May 2004, 20:28
...my Turk is worse than my English, which isn't too good.

About Geography, I would say it has nothing to do with politics...

Easy answer? No?

Another one : every territory north of Mediterranean Sea is part of Europe.

Many people opposed to Turkey entering Europe are also opposed to Europe itself (in France : "souverainist").

Among them a lot are backward Christian who can't imagine a state with a majority of Muslim citizens as a part of Europe, and the same would appreciate a reference to Christianism in Europe Constitution.

There is only one solution to avoid the return to a mosaďc of religious states: SE-CU-LA-Ri-SM(I know how painfull it is for Polish bishops........!)

WeatherJinx
2nd May 2004, 20:44
Boss Raptor

Turkish history is entwined with that of Europe. In technical terms, Loki is right to say that the geographic line extends to only around 3/4% of landmass; that up to the Bosphorous Strait. But its not just about technicalities...

I too have visited many times and I find most people I have met to be very European in outlook and values (except perhaps that they retain a hospitality and general decency that far exceeds that of, say, our country). In fact, if you took away the minarets from the skyline and replaced them with steeples, Istanbul and the other major conurbations could be just about any city in Europe.

Sure..if you walk around the streets, the atmosphere, culture and music lends the place a Middle Eastern flavour too - but why shouldn't it? The place is a cultural bridge, and it is just that aspect that I was focusing on - as a strength, not a weakness.

Anyway...weren't some proposals about Israel joining the EU being bandied around up until recently? Let's not get carried away by lines on a map.

Loki
2nd May 2004, 21:18
What I am saying is that the extent of Europe will have to be determined sometime....how far East for example? Perhaps it will be a while yet before we need to address the question, but there are a number of former Soviet states which might some day wish to join.

spork
2nd May 2004, 21:58
And since is Turkey in any way connected to Europe? having been there many times I begin to wonder?!Well - you can drive there from mainland Europe - is that connected enough?

WeatherJinx
3rd May 2004, 00:56
Good point Spork

I suspect it would also be a surprise to many if they knew where those most iconic of European goods tulips and croissants (http://www.resortwise.co.uk/html/turkey.html) came from :p

Ozzy
3rd May 2004, 01:39
So nobody got the subtlety. Typical! Just hope the 10 new members pay their way in supporting the agricultural industries of France and Germany. Suckers.

Ozzy

paulo
3rd May 2004, 01:57
Mine's a definite "Welcome!"

You were in Europe anyway. Nice to have to have you back. :ok:

Grandpa
3rd May 2004, 07:36
I learned at school Europe was extending East to Ural mountains.

Don't worry about West limit: it's not tomorrow that USA will be able to meet EU requirment concerning Human Rights!

SphereSpredda
3rd May 2004, 07:45
Holy smoke Grandpa ....... is there any single thread on PPRuNe that you have not hijacked to have a rant about the USA?????

I certainly can't find one.

See Rule 5.

:E

panda-k-bear
3rd May 2004, 16:22
No Grandpa, but I'll bet they meet the economic criteria :p

Funny how one rabid anti-American can turn one pro-European (like me) so anti, really. :hmm:

It really is a sad state of affairs.

Anyway, welcome to our European brothers and sisters - and can't you drive over land as far as China if you really want to? When do we welcome them to the European fold?

p-k-b

Grandpa
3rd May 2004, 21:49
No hijacking there : just opening the eyes!

Why are the Turks so often questionned about Democracy, Human Rights and all that stuff we apreciate so much, while we don't question the attacks against Democracy and Human Rights from across the ocean........?

spork
3rd May 2004, 22:18
Must be a different kind of human rights they're talking about Grandpa...

mallouin
4th May 2004, 12:45
Hows about Canada then,very european attitude in many ways and would seriously p!ss off the good old US:p seriously not anti usa

lasernigel
4th May 2004, 13:00
Everyone seems to be slagging off Turkey re democracy and human rights.How about an EU member country that also has a not too clean human rights slate and locks up British citizens for plane spotting!! Better we sort out our own back yard before criticising someone elses.

Grandpa
4th May 2004, 18:44
...And that applies to every country.

What would you think, all of you, if Ppruners begin to unveil what they see in their own backyard...

Could be interesting, because inside views could bring something new, and we could learn a lot from each others, instead of telling what we think is bad abroad.

I won't begin this exercise, but I'm ready to follow.....................