PDA

View Full Version : pilot assist on single crew

FRIDAY
30th Apr 2004, 22:51
Can anyone in the know point me in the right direction. I would like any information or tips on possible opportunities acting in a pilot assist role on a single crew aircraft. I believe the majority of companies do like to have a second person up front acting in this role and of course someone who can pull there weight with paper work and all the extra work entailed on the ground with such operations.
I am very keen to get into such a position so please anyone even the slightest heads up will be hugely appreciated.

Bumz_Rush
1st May 2004, 06:34
Pilots assistant was all the rage some years ago. it provided a method of getting experience, and 50% logged. The CAA, have terminated this deal, I suspect.

The concept is very good, this is how I obtained the flying experience to get the type rating for Beech 200, and Citation 1.2. early in my long and exciting professional life.
I was fortunate to be asked to be second eyes on these types, below 12,500lbs, and took the written technicals myself, and then the owners, eventually paid for the type ride.

The regulations with JAR and FAR have changed. I am not 100% up on these, but check.

I do suspect that for what you want there is no problem.

Good luck, and get out there....

dickon
3rd May 2004, 18:38
Are you saying that as a second pilot in a single pilot A/C for a company or whatever the need may be for having a second pilot at all...the second pilot CAN log the hours? :ooh:

Bumz_Rush
3rd May 2004, 19:25
and then with severe limitations.

I suggest you check the current situation the CAA. It was a great facility. For example I as Captain on a PA31, (single crew), could give the hours on a Private flight to a second crew member, provided they handled the controls for the entire flight, and I offered no input. They flew within the limitations of their licence and ratings, ie B rating if applicable, and non IFR if non IR. Similar with night. These were logged as 100%.

The interesting spin on this was that having landed from a days work, when I did not as a crew member...then I could if sufficiently rested go and do a night mail run.....and this was fully approved by the UK CAA.

Things have changed and at present I still believe this situation remains correct.

The important aspect is to remain within your licence and ratings.

Good flying....

BizJetJock
4th May 2004, 09:27
The important thing is that you can - and should - log everything that you do. Whether the CAA will count it towards licence issue requirements is often secondary to persuading companies (i.e. their insurers) that you have the experience for the job that you desperately want.
I found this out the hard way, by not logging about 400 hours as pilot's assistant on the Bandeirante in the early 80's. A few years later and people were put off taking me on because I didn't have a log book showing turbine hours. Of course the company was long gone, so they couldn't vouch for me:{
Still, all came right in the end...:ok:

dickon
4th May 2004, 18:03
I agree with that!

Any ideas on someone who would like a hand at pulling the chocks and cleaning the plane for some r/s hrs. I would be very grateful!

I've always wanted to do plane deliveries for the interesting flights but with my measly 285 hrs I don't have much of a chance getting a paid position but would love to get the experience anyway.

Unlike most people I have little interest in Airline flying cos I prefer the flying to the money. :p

You obviously have lots of experience and I am sure loads of contacts, if you could spare the time or bare to PM me I would be excedingly grateful for any advice. I hold a FAA, cpl,mel,sel,ifr british passport and will go anywhere in the world! :D

High Viz Vest
5th May 2004, 07:07
Unfortunately there is no such thing as piltos asistant anymore as someone has already stated.

Finding any kind of right hand seat job that doesnt require a type rating is like finding hens teeth, it isnt going to happen.

It is now possible to fly the BE200 single crew for public transport but as I was told by an operator a couple of years back it sounds like the CAA dont want a non rated pilot in the R/H seat, they would rather have a passenger!

The king air and the C525 are the last single crew turbines on the UK register that I know of that are used around where I work.

I heard of a guy who had 600 hours in his logbook right hand seat in a 525, when he applied for his ATPL it was bouced because he didnt have a type rating, the aircraft didnt require 2 crew and he was effectively logging time in a legal document that he wasnt entitled to. I would suggest buying a second logbook and log it in there. If you are not performing duties of a required member of crew as stated in the flight manual the CAA will not be impressed.

FRIDAY
5th May 2004, 11:36
Thanks dickon, just feel free to butt in on my idea.
As for Pilot assist jobs, well the reason I started this thread is because I have met quite a number of them on all variants of aircraft and not just turbines, king airs/CJ1/CJ2 etc etc so from what I have seen there is more positions then normally perceived, but its just making that initial contact which is the tricky bit. I am not so much worried about what I can or can't log doing it more a case it will allow me a chance to gain some great experience not just in the air but in the office and possibley establish myself in a company.

dickon
5th May 2004, 18:33
Sorry Friday,

Your message just triggered me to write that and thats how I feel.

Thats a compliment, I am not trying to steel your post or anything I am just dieing to get flying, thats all.

I figure also that, this is what these forums are for, or not? We all need help...well most of us.

Sorry again

See you at the Trinity ball of Friday :D

gooneydog
5th May 2004, 18:47
G CTLN by any chance Biz jet Jock ????

BizJetJock
7th May 2004, 16:01
Sorry, don't know that one!