PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of Canadian License to JAA

Anchorman
30th Apr 2004, 17:44
Good evening

I have been aproached by a friend who wants to convert her Canadian CPL/IR ME (frozen ATPL) to JAR rules. Is there a rough guide as to which parts of the JAA sylabus will have to be taken and how much if any flight training would have to be undertaken. ?

She has 350 hours, and was working as an FI for PPL and CPL couses, if that info helps.

I had envisaged air law, Nav and an IR flight test as a minimum, but i am not aware if the JAA has any reciprocal agreements with the Canadian authorites.

I appreciate you advice if there is a 'ballpark' answer so she can contemplate whether or not the changeover is a feasible (financially) one.

Regards:confused:

minus273
30th Apr 2004, 18:10
Hey there I posted on this a few months back. I also converted my Canadian Licence to a JAA one.

If you want some more details on all of the ins and outs PM me your e-mail address and will send what I sent to others, either that or do a search and you will find something similiar.

Charlie Zulu
30th Apr 2004, 20:20
Hi Anchorman,

All of the answers are in Lasors, a fantastic book that the CAA have produced and is available either in book form or free online!

But I know that isn't very helpful and answer, so here's the explanation.

As the Transport Canada CPL/IR ME is a recognised ICAO CPL/IR your friend will need to undergo the following.

1) A full residential or distance learning course of JAA ATPL material.
2) Pass all 14 JAA ATPL Written Exams.

There is no getting away from the above, unless your friend had a full Canadian ATPL and lots of hours multi crew time then she wouldn't have to do (1) but would still need to do (2).

3) Training as necessary from head of training at the FTO to pass the the JAA CPL(A) Skills Test.
4) 15 Hour Multi Engine JAA IR course and skills test.

After that lot your friend would end up with a JAA CPL/IR with ATPL Writtens Passed. This is mis-known as a frozen ATPL.

If she would like to become an instructor then there is a JAA conversion course to do as per Lasors (Section H, Page 9, H1.10) entitled "Transferring a FI(A) Rating From a Non-JAA State Licence" but in essence requires a course of training at an FTO to include not less than 15 hours of flight training and 30 hours of theoretical knowledge instruction plus skills test.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Anchorman
1st May 2004, 19:33
Thanks for the replies, I'll pass it all on.

Sounds like the booklet is a worthwhile investment for her.

Cheers

Mark:ok:

sajko
3rd May 2004, 19:41
Hi anchorman,

I would like to get one info from you. I'm interested in atpl and i did my training in canada. You said that she has a frozen atpl with 300 hours. I know that was not possible before so if you could check with her and let me know has some rule regarding writing atpl's in Canada changed. I have also low hours as she does.

thanks sajko