PDA

View Full Version : Headaches?

TURIN
30th Apr 2004, 10:03
Suffering with bit of a throbbing head the other day, I chanced upon this website.

http://www.aqwr34.dsl.pipex.com/migraine/migraine.htm

Lots of advice etc.

What's your best cure?

Is there one that really works?

I've tried hair of the dog but it only lasts until I wake up again! :ugh:

takenthe5thamendment
30th Apr 2004, 10:21
Well, that would depend if we are talking migraine or a headache.
There is a world of difference.

As an occasional migraine sufferer, there can only be one medication that can control the pain and other symptoms caused by an attack.

Sumatriptan, which belongs to a group of medicines called 5-HT receptor agonists. They work because migraine may be due to temporary swelling of blood vessels in the head, this group of medicines work by reducing the size of the blood vessels, thereby giving relief from this sometimes, potentially debilitating condition.

For a 'normal' headache I would use Excedrin, which is unavailable and unlicensed for use in the UK.
I load my case with them whenever I visit the USA.

BlueDiamond
30th Apr 2004, 10:31
I've tried hair of the dog
I think you're talking about a hangover headache, TURIN, not a migraine which, as 5th points out, is a completely different thing.

No one can say with certainty what the causes of migraine are although there are some classic advance warning symptoms like visual disturbances etc. before the actual pain begins.

In my own case, the only medication that ever worked effectively was an injection of pethidine or morphine every six hours plus an antimetic to control the vomiting. I was never able to lie flat as that only made matters worse, but a dark room was essential. There's not much else you can do unless you are one of the lucky ones who responds to some of the other available medications ... self administered by "Epi-Pen" or other means.

Not much fun, migraines.

:{

pulse1
30th Apr 2004, 10:46
I was advised by a doctor some years ago that the effectiveness of standard headache pills can be greatly enhanced by a simultaneous dose of caffeine. It certainly seems to work for me. I always wash them down with a strong cup of coffee.

In fact, some migraine pills contain caffeine along with the active ingredient.

tony draper
30th Apr 2004, 11:09
Most over the counter painkillers contain caffene, I find the soluable co-codymol very effective, can't take asprin except very low dosage one I take very morning and paracetymol tablets always make me feel sick for some weird reason.

Only ever had one full blown migrain in me life,I would not like them on a regular basis,happened first time I ever inhaled a cigarette, I do sometimes get the visual disturbances symptoms,ie thing like a sawtooth waveform and holes in me field of vision, these tend to pass very quickly and thankfully no headache associated with it, my brother gets the same thing, weird vision but no headaches,must be a genetic component to it.

:(

Biggles Flies Undone
30th Apr 2004, 11:12
Make sure they're the right type of mushrooms you pick on your morning stroll TD......

Jerricho
30th Apr 2004, 11:36
I had a headache once.............she's still in Brisbane.

QNIM
3rd May 2004, 00:11
Gday Jerricho
You beat me to it, my headache is somewhere further south.
Cheers Q :O

TamedBill
3rd May 2004, 04:47
Sleep does it for me, even a catnap of 15 minutes shifts it, luckily I don't get many headaches and I don't think I have ever had a migraine (crosses fingers).

Caslance
3rd May 2004, 06:20
I get a headache whenever I displease the Voices....... :8

Smeagol
3rd May 2004, 08:32
Like Mr Draper I suffer from 'visual disturbances'. Fortunately, do not get any headaches associated with them. After reading the link posted by Turin, I conclude that these are Occular migraines.

The boring attacks are just like grey clouds that obscure the vision, can be frightening if they come on whilst driving.

They can, however, be quite spectacular at times, like looking into a kalaidescope, full of jagged patterns that swirl and move. Who needs mind enhancing drugs, this comes free!

DishMan
3rd May 2004, 08:36
Had a friend once who suffered bad migraines for years.
One day someone mentioned to him that it could be triggered by chocolate.

So he stayed away from anything chocolate for a while - no migraines.
Then to test the theory, he munched a Mars bar. 20mins later in bed with migraine.

Since then he has had very very few migraines.....OK so he misses out on the chockies...but he says it's worth it!

IB4138
3rd May 2004, 12:49
Have sufferred in recent times from the jagged vision problem.
Seems something to do with my blood sugar. Usual cure is a bottle of Lucozade and a quarter pounder with cheese. Takes about an hour before I am back to normal.

Animalclub
4th May 2004, 02:36
My cure for hangovers (which I don't get anymore!!) always works for me... three paraceta... thingies and two Beroccas... then back to bed if you have the time.

... come to think of it, I've never seen Beroccas north of the equator.

Jerricho
14th May 2004, 00:56
AnimalClub - Berocca is available in the UK at Boots the Chemist. Dark green tube same size as the stuff back in Oz. You can also get them in one a day tablet form...........the tablet is huge though!