PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship Questions

Confirmed Must Ride
30th Apr 2004, 09:07
Are there any airlines out there in AU/US that still sponsor cadets and would be willing to take on GB wannabe?

Problem is that I have Colour vision deficiency that does not meet JAA regs. CASA and FAA have no problems on this matter.

Any help?

K2SkyRider
30th Apr 2004, 13:51
Hi CMR,

I have recently made enquiries with EFT and Delta Connection Academy, both in Florida. The most important requirement to work in the US is a green card or work/residency permit. For example, you would typically get your fATPL and instruct for a few hundred hours with the flight schools above. At the end of 2 years (expiry of J-1 and M-1 visas), you would have to leave the US if you didn't have a green card.

I am not aware of any US airline sponsorhips. I've heard (via pprune) that many unemployed US pilots are converting their FAA licences to JAA to find employment in Europe, as job opportunities are limited at present. Don't let this put you off, because it could be a different picture in 2 years when you have completed your training.

Good luck,

K2 :ok:

scroggs
30th Apr 2004, 14:07
The first and most important thing is that you must have the right to live and work in the US or Australia. Without that, you're wasting your time.

Sponsorships are not really in the US culture, but there are a number of 'fly for free' type-rating schemes there. These seem to be simply a way of employers getting work done without paying for it; steer clear of them - they do occasionally feature in Wannabes, and their record is not good.

The only sponsorship in Australia I know about is Qantas' one, for which you'll need to fit strict age, nationality and medical stipulations. Check their website. Redsnail (our resident Sheila) may be able to advise further.

Scroggs