PDA

View Full Version : Lung Fuction Test

BankAngle50
30th Apr 2004, 07:56
I went to this new doc and he did a lung fuction test using Spirometry. I could only manage 70% peak level. I have never had any problems in the last 14 years of medical, i dont smoke or have eny respirtory problems. This doctor didn't seem happy with this result. I am 31, male and fairly fit. Does this mean i will lose my Class 1??? I am just worrying???

Flyin'Dutch'
30th Apr 2004, 12:44
Unlikely.

Spirometry is more acurate than just peakflows but you always have to take symptoms (or absence thereof) and general condition into account.

It is just interesting to see that there are so many different holy grails in (aviation) medicine on which a particular emphasis is laid by some authorities and none by another and vice versa.

Best of luck.

FD

BankAngle50
30th Apr 2004, 23:33
Thanks Flying Dutch.

So if I have no symptoms then it shouldn’t be a problem? I have had a class 1 for 14 years, and have never done well on that test. I don’t suffer any lung problems and can job and exercise like everyone else. This doctor was going on that he wouldn’t let me dive or work in a confined place etc.. This really scared me as I don’t know much about this test. He wasn’t my aviation doctor and was doing general medicals for everyone, including ground crew and cabin etc. If the CAA has given me a medical for the pass 14 years and I don’t have any lung disease, can I assume its no problem?

I think I don’t do well on this because I had my Thymus glad removed at 16 because it was oversized. This left my chest slightly lop sided.

Thanks for the info Dutch.

Flyin'Dutch'
30th Apr 2004, 23:51
I obviously don't know your precise circumstances but looking at it from this end I would find it hard to see how a non aviation doc could gauge your ability to hold a class one medical or influence that especially in light off the fact that you have done so for 14 years, apparently without any problems.

Why did you have the medical?

FD

BankAngle50
1st May 2004, 00:35
Dutch i had the medical as the company now requires all new joiners (Ground crew, Cabin, Service desk etc and now Pilots) to pass this standard company medical, with things such as a drug test ect. What is this test used for? It maybe that im just panicing. Can i assume that if i have never had any lung problems that the CAA would not put too much light on this test?

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd May 2004, 20:04
BA50,

Sorry about the late reply but I have had some fun (but not as in Haha) with the bloomin' puter courtesy of some of these virus plonkers!

First of all I think it is not so likely that the results are going to be shared with the CAA and secondly you said that you never had any problems with your class 1 medicals and so if there is no change that should not change either!

All the best and let us know how you get on.

Ciao

FD

BankAngle50
4th May 2004, 03:06
Cheers
BA Hi FD

I went to my normal doctor today and told him about this test. He didn’t believe that the test was correct considering my history and general condition. He listened to my heart, lungs and gave me a quick general look-over. All seemed well. I then blew into this tube with a slider thing on it. I blew 650 (many times) on this scale with no problems. He said that was excellent for my age (31, 90KGs, male). I then blew into the machine that measures lung volume and he said it was approx. 5 litres plus.

He seemed quite sure that given these results that there was no way my lung function is 70% peak. He said with 650 on that scale that it was 100% or close enough to that. He asked me about the machine I did the original test on. It was a computer type with no sliding scale and it spits out a printed slip at the end of 3 goes. My doctor said that machine is faulty and either your technique was wrong on the day. If I had 70% lung function apparently you would really know it.

How can these two results be so different?

Can I assume that if I have 5 litres of lung and that I can blow 650 on that slider thing, that my lungs are indeed find for holding a class one. My doctor said it was a great result.

Im confused!! But i guess im now OK??

Cheers
BA

Flyin'Dutch'
4th May 2004, 09:11
I guess you have always been OK! :)

They seem contradictory results but spirometry machines are pretty foolproof (or should I say doctor-proof) so not sure what happened.

Have fun!

FD

nicksmalley
10th May 2004, 14:58
BankAngle

Having a girlfriend doing sport science, I am constantly bombarded with facts about fitness. I suggest you find the local swimming pool and start doing some lengths a few times a week. Its one of the best ways of increasing lung capacity. Otherwise get down the gym and try out the rowing machine/treadmill! My housemate puffed out 150% of his normal lung capacity the other day at his annual fitness test!

Not saying that you're unfit by the way, just may improve this area of your fitness! GO BLOW THAT DOC AWAY!

:yuk:

Nick

waspie
11th May 2004, 19:42
I am 16 years old. I was 15 when I had my class 2 taken, I only got 300 on the scale thing that you blow into when apparently I should be getting 700. He said it didnt matter that much, but for my class 1 does that mean I will fail?

BankAngle50
12th May 2004, 15:45
Thanks Nick

I dont think i have a problem. Rather i was not doing the test correctly or the machine was U/S. I have had follow on testing and everything is normal for my dimensions.

Anyway i think we could all use a tad more exercise. Thanks for the info.

Cheers
BA:ok:

Kaptin M
17th May 2004, 21:02
Is this the test where you have to take 3 or 4 normal breaths, before exhaling (i)for as long as you can, and then (ii)as hard as you can, with one showing a series of circles, and the other a horizontal line?
If so, I too found that I wasn't scoring as well as I should have been, until I realised that I was breathing too deeply during the "normal breathing" part. :rolleyes:

cliste
24th May 2004, 16:37
hey waspie
i only got 500 on that blowing thing for class 2 medical and he told me it wouldnt be a problem so i wouldnt worry to much!
:)