PDA

View Full Version : Supplementals

Rwy in Sight
30th Apr 2004, 07:21
I am looking for some details on the development (sp) of the charter airlines. I read somewhere that the US Congress back in 1962 allowed some charter flying to take place in the US. THe term used for the companies operating those flights was "supplemental". Does anyone have any details about those regulations?

I know it is a long shot but it is one of the reasons I love PPRuNE: finding the unfoundable

Rwy in Sight

GK430
30th Apr 2004, 12:59
No idea, but if memory serves me right, the following:
TIA, Capitol, ONA, Saturn and World were all described as supplemental carriers.

You could start a new thread on who can remember the others:D
I don't think American Flyers were - think they were a club.

treadigraph
30th Apr 2004, 13:11
Cor, I remember Gatwick in the mid-Seventies...

TIA, ONA, Capital and World DC-8s (and CP Air) were very frequent visitors...

And I remember watching several World and TIA DC-10s takeoffs from 08 which seemed to use every last inch of runway to unstick! Didn't one freight some approach lights back to LA entangled in the main gear!!

I thought Saturn was a freight airline?

PaperTiger
30th Apr 2004, 15:51
Many of the supplementals got their start flying military charters during the Korean War. Probably the best source would be the R.E.G. Davies book Airlines of the United States since 1914 ( Publisher: Washington, D.C. : Smithsonian Institution Press, 1982, c1972. ISBN: 0-87474-381-8).
A decent-sized library should have a copy, if not I'm sure many prooners do !

There's quite a decent transcript of a lecture on the whole US CAB/FAA/dereg. saga on line at :
http://articles.corporate.findlaw.com/articles/file/00037/004355

(No, I wasn't the speaker)

GK430
30th Apr 2004, 20:29
Come on Treadigraph - EGKK's Rwy was 09/27 in those days!
I'm going to have to get an old anorak book out tomorrow, but whilst I can visualize Saturns tail logo, I am thinking they operated CV990's into Gatwick and then DC-8's.

Just remembered another one who defininitely was a supplemental and had CV smokers - Modern Air!

I think it was an American Flyers 727-100 with big centre tank that collected some of the 27 App lgts on dep from 09 and just missed the roof of a train - somewhere about '70-'71:eek:

I remember the days when they would line up on 27 on a heading of 090 - the Cale 707's were no exception.

Sorry to digress!!

P.S. - Remember Ariana DC-6's

PaperTiger
30th Apr 2004, 21:42
No Saturn CV990s, perchance the tail logo you remember was that of Spantax ?

treadigraph
1st May 2004, 09:10
Was it really? I can only remember 08/26, but they maybe from a time when I started taking a more techie interest in things...:ok:

Here's a link (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=555074&WxsIERv=RG91Z2xhcyBEQy04LTYx&WdsYXMg=U2F0dXJuIGFpcndheXM%3D&QtODMg=TG9uZG9uIC0gR2F0d2ljayAoTEdXIC8gRUdLSyk%3D&ERDLTkt=VUsgLSBFbmdsYW5k&ktODMp=QXByaWwgNSwgMTk2OQ%3D%3D&BP=0&WNEb25u=RnJhbmsgQ3Jvb20%3D&xsIERvdWdsY=Tjg5NTZV&MgTUQtODMgKE=&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=MTU0&NEb25uZWxs=MjAwNC0wNC0xNA%3D%3D&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=NDU5NDk%3D&static=yes&size=M) to a Saturn -8 at Gatwick (hope the link's OK CP!). Cracking schemes in those days... always liked ONA's "ship's wheel"...

Think a World -10 took some souveniers home as well a few years later!

Ariana DC-6 - there's a pic in the latest Aeroplane, plus some other shots from the 60s....

GK430
1st May 2004, 16:14
Oh dear, I have been up in the loft.

No Saturn 990's - quite right, however, they did have C-130's as well as the -8's.

There was another with DC-8-54's and -61's - TCA, Trans Caribbean.

Nice shot of the Saturn and great to see a RCAF Yukon behind it.

Paper Tiger..............I know the real smokers - Spantax's too!

http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/Spantax_990.jpg

Eric Mc
3rd May 2004, 11:36
They were all very common visitors to Shannon as well. Capitol, Saturn, World and Seaboard World all operated DC-8s in the 70s and early 80s. In addition to the US airlines, the Icelandic airline, Loftleider also operated these supplemental flights on behalf of US tour operators. In fact, there seemed to be a fleet transfer system in place between Capitol and Loftleider with aircraft swapping occasionally between the two airlines.

From what I remember, these flights often operated in and out of smaller US east coast airports like Bangor, Maine. They often flew to Rome, via Shannon (for the duty frees).

thetexpat
3rd May 2004, 19:07
EricMc
Bangor, ME was a fuel stop before 'jumping the pond'! Even the DC-10-30s used BGR as a fuel/crew change stop, both east & westbound!
Cheers
thetexpat:ok: