PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Airlines Interview (Melbourne)

SocialFlyer
29th Apr 2004, 23:21
Hi Guys,

I had my interview with Eastern Airlines (QantasLink) on Wednesday and thought I should post some information about the interview process to help those attending in the future. There seems to be very little about the process on this forum, hence hopefully my post may help some.

Well, the interview starts like most interviews sitting around at the Qantas Cabin Crew training center foyer with other applicants and chatting away for what seems like ages. In total there were 18 people, 15 girls and 3 guys. The age range seemed mixed and there were some ex ansett, emirates, kendell etc. It felt really easy talking to everyone and bonds were formed quickly. Presenation is importnant, all guys were in a suit and most girls were in suits. Once eveyone has arrived on of the recruiters calls everyone into a large room around 9.10am.

When you enter the large room there are 3 tables with six seats on each table. You asked to find your name and sit in the appropriate location. Once seated the interviewers introduce themselves. The recruiters consisted of the Cabin Crew Manager from Sydney, Ground School Trainer from Sydney and the In Flight Service Trainer and Base Manager from Melbourne. All the recruiters were amazingly friendly and made everyone feel at ease. Once the interviewers are finished introducing themselves everyone is asked to talk to the person next to them for 5 minutes and get to know them. After this activity you are asked to stand up and introduce yourself and say something unique about the person next to you. Make sure you listen to what they are saying coz the interviewers are wathcing all this. Whilst everyone was introducing themselves the interviewers would ask them random questions in front of the entire group such as, "Why did you study that, why do you want to be a F/A, what do you like about your current job etc"... It really puts people on the spot as they are not expecting it.

After the intro it's time for a group discussion. With all the groups they commence asking "what do you know about Eastern"... It is here that you need to KNOW YOU STUFF... Aircraft type, destinations, bases, staff numbers, where it falls in the Qantas network etc..... Everyone just calls out what they know. Dont go overboard, but make sure you actually say something. We were told at this stage that Melbourne is getting a new Dash 8-300 series which is a 50 seater and 2 F/A on board..

Once the discussion is over there is a group activity which is completed on your table of 6. You have a case scenario and required to solve it with your group. Each table had a different scenario which included "medical emergency on board and planning a trip for toursts using the Eastern network... During this DO NOT take over, sit back, contribute, encourage, SMILE SMILE SMILE... Once the discussions are over (15min), each table must present what they have discussed. The person presenting is selected by the recruiters, which I thought was interesting as in most interviewers you must decide as a group.

After this activity, everyone is given a 2 essay questions and asked to respond 1 of them. The questions were "What could you bring to the role of a FA or Why do you want to be a FA"..You are given 20 minutes to complete this and during this time the interviewers leave the room to make decision about who they want to keep back for the 1on1 interview.

When the recruiters return they hand out an envelope to everyone and ask them NOT to open them until they have left the building. Luckily I was one of the successful ones :eek:, and asked to attend the individual interview later that day... From what I could work out out of the 18 people they kept 7 for the 2 on 1 interview.. Overall most applicant were of a high standard so I believe the decision would have been tough.

Now on the same day you return for your interview and are interviewed by 2 of the recruiters. The interview format is your standard, "tell me about a time interview".... I was thrown out a little when the interviewer said "feel free to take off you jacket, for a moment there I had a anxiety attack not knowing what to do... I went for the polite thing and took it off.... Please note, at the final interview they will pull out your essay from the group session (which will have certain aspects highlighted), and they will ask you to elaborate on points. Therefore be honest and take time in what you write. The recruiters were fantastic in the 2on1, funny, calm, made jokes etc... I had the Cabin Crew Manager and in flight service trainer....

Well there you have it guys... I now must wait up to 10 days to hear back from them by mail. They told me if I get a big envelope it's good news, and if it's a small one it's not good... If I pass the through I must complete my medical before being accepted. Fingers crossed that I make it through:O !!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much to those from Eastern that helped me out with info I couldn't have done it without you... To anyone attending in the future please feel free to send me a private message and I'll help in any way I can.

I'll keep you all posted on any further developments...

Ciao Guys,

SocialFlyer

littlemissmel
30th Apr 2004, 00:18
hey socialflyer

thanks for the very detailed description of the Eastern recruiting process, I'm sure it will be a help to many!;) :ok: :ok: :ok:

Elle
30th Apr 2004, 02:23
Hi Socialflyer THAT SOUNDS GREAT!!!

I don't know much, if anything about how Eastern recruit... I think SydGirl works for them actually.

I must say by them saying that if you get the big envelope its good, if it's small.... it makes them sound relaxed, funny.... hmmm I don't want to get your hopes up more.....but hey it really sounds like they liked you and to joke about the envelope!

Oh fingers and toes crossed for you. :D :D :D :D :D

cloud nine
30th Apr 2004, 04:05
Goodluck....let us all know the outcome. From what you wrote I have a feeling that you will be getting the big envelope.

TSSOV
30th Apr 2004, 07:52
Congratulations on getting to the last interview! It was interesting to read about:D ... so thanks for posting it:ok:

fingers crossed you get a BIG envelope!

SMILE!

Iguanahead
3rd May 2004, 04:23
Well done SocialFlyer.

Looking forward to hearing the news when you are accepted. And a pat on the back for sharing your experience with everybody else. It's helpfull info and interesting reading as well.

Good luck and let us all know how you go.

Everythings crossed for you. :ok:

SocialFlyer
6th May 2004, 05:01
Hi Guys,

I GOT THE BIG ENVELOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It arrived in the mail today and I have to complete the medical and send it back. It's looking good I should think.... I found out today that they actually called my references yesterday and all went well at that stage as well....

I'm off to get this medical done and then hopefully hear some good news.... Nervous as hell now...

I'll keep you all posted...

Cheers

SocialFlyer:ok:

ozskipper
6th May 2004, 08:39
Congrats!!! Sounds like very good news indeed...

SocialFlyer
27th May 2004, 05:57
Hi Guys,

Just found out today from Eastern Airlines that I have been placed on Active Hold till the next cabin crew school goes through. Such a relief to find out that I have made it through, however now I join many others in the long awaited phone call to confirm employment. Not sure how long Eastern usually place you on active hold, however hopefully they do things a little better than QF. I'm not going to get too excited till I actually receive a phone call to confirm employment, life must go on as per normal.

Thanks to all those who helped me out during the interview phase, I couldn't have done it without you. I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers

SocialFlyer

QF skywalker
27th May 2004, 07:27
Euphemia,

I would strongly advise Socialflyer to DISREGARD your advice.

The Qantas subsidiaries Eastern,Sunstate,Australian Airlines and Jetstar are not like mainline Qantas. The recruitment is done by their own people and they are constantly recruiting throughout the year.The people on shortlists only stay on them for a few months - the waitlists are always actioned and they do not "inconvience" applicants as may be the case with Qantas mainline.

Calling up eastern and "telling them to be straight with you" is a good way to get your application scrapped !

SocialFlyer
27th May 2004, 09:29
QF Skywalker,

Thanks for the prompt advice, but don't stress I had NO intention of calling Eastern and asking such a thing nor would I ever. I agree with you in that the active hold lists for Eastern are utalised often, and I believe all positions are full time.

You are definatelly correct in saying that asking such questions to Eastern would not look good on me, especially since I've only been on the hold list for 1 day :rolleyes: ....... Besides I'm in no rush, I'm happy to wait around for a while, got a job, and it feels good to know something is around the corner..

Cheers

SocialFlyer:ok:

cloud nine
27th May 2004, 09:38
Being on a waitlist for a QF subsidary is totally diff to being on mainlines waitlist.

If any airline new when you were going to start, you would be told then and there.

Im sure SocialFlyer will hear of a start date in the near future.

Happy waiting :) and congrats :)

QANTASTIC
27th May 2004, 09:40
congratulations... I know what it feels like to get placed on that short list.. I hope the best for you and I am sure soon you will be in the air ! Goodluck and keep us posted !!