PDA

View Full Version : Fleet Air Arm Recruitment Numbers, is it in the same sorry state as the RAF?

rotut
29th Apr 2004, 20:15
Well, i have recently been turned down from OASC as im sure as many others have or soon will be!! Apparently the recruitment situation with the RAF is in a dim state.... and thats an understatment!

So onto the question of the Day?

What is the recruitment situation in the fleet air arm? Do they requiring Rotary pilots? If so does the RAF's EFT count towards JEFTS are is it all seperate!

Many thanks

ROTUT

Colonial Aviator
29th Apr 2004, 21:54
Maybe facing similar situation myself if RAF don't like the look of me sometime later this year. Am aware of a few points about the FAA criteria, they have higher standards for the aptitudes compared to RAF, and I've also heard that if you've completed RAF EFT, as I have done on a UAS, you still may end up at JEFTS, not entirely sure about that one though

spaulding
30th Apr 2004, 09:27
as everyone knows, the sit is pretty poor, the latest gen i had from an OASC board officer was that the RAF target to get opperational in 04 has dropped from 180 to 100. guess that means that the number of slots through OASC will drop a fair bit also... :mad:

Melrin Dip
30th Apr 2004, 14:57
Chaps,

FAA recruiting is alive and well.

Phone the freephone number or use the web form at:

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk

A nice lady will send you some forms and you'll soon be singing hearts of oak like the rest of us.

Good luck.

Anyone want to be an Observer?

:ok:

rotut
30th Apr 2004, 15:38
Right, the Navy thing sounds good.:ok: Have completed OASC aptitude twice and passed pilot!

Will i have to take them again of will my OASC score count towards the RN? What else is included in the selection? Do they use the notes taken @ Cranditz from OASC??:yuk:

rotut

small_dog
30th Apr 2004, 16:22
rotut,

Do a quick search of this forum using "AIB" as the search topic and a couple of threads will come up where people have discussed the similarities/differences of OASC and the AIB. These threads should provide some of the answers that you are looking for.

Good luck with the application.

:ok:

Leprechaun
1st May 2004, 13:40
Rotut,

FAA are still recruiting but that is the easy part. Baby Navy aircrew are the holdover masters, especially if you want to fly the mighty Merlin. I've got mates who have taken four years just to start Merlin ACP with a further twelve months of course ahead of them.
Not trying to put you off, just trying to provide a balanced view. At the end of the day the navy is a laugh and with a bit of balls you can get some brilliant holdovers!!:ok:

cobaltfrog
2nd May 2004, 09:32
Rotary Pongo

I can assure you that we in the Flying Training organisation of the RN have NOT sacked the current entry of Pilots at BRNC.
Whilst places remain tight for those who aspire to be aircrew, we are not in a position to keep those who fail grading as pilots to give them a go at Observer. Those who fail MAY (In exceptional circumstances) be given a chance at branch transfer but even this is very few.

Thud Ridge
3rd May 2004, 14:36
As far as i know there are 2 people in the training pipeline at the moment who have completed the full UAS package. One was sent to shawbury and completed the course and is now on the ACP/OCP stage. There is another one completing JEFTS/DEFTS and is following the standard route.

As i understand it, the grading squadron (727 at Roeborough) is where the decision is made and it will depend on how you fly there along with other factors.

AIB will not be looking at your OASC results apart from your aptitude scores. Pilot, navigator/observer, and ATC tests all have to be passed to become RN pilots. Not sure what classifies as a pass nowadays.

Best of luck

TR

cobaltfrog
11th May 2004, 17:20
You WILL have to wait the twelve months. We are currently flush with pilots for entry.

Sorry!

snafu
11th May 2004, 21:47
Cobaltfrog

Check your PM's!:ok:

Navypilot2005
13th May 2004, 22:45
Hi im just wondering if in body can fill me in about what the Navy aptitude tests entail as im going to Cranwell very soon to sit them.

One of my friend told me to that to be considered for navy pilot you have to pass aptitude tests for pilot, observer and ATC.

If this is true it would be great if some one could provide some details about what each set of tests are all about. I've seen the 5 tests fo pilot at cranwell but have no details about the other tests?

Hope some one can help,

Matt