PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Like About The U.S.A

ssultana
29th Apr 2004, 19:55
In these times of anti american sentiment, i (as a brit) love many things about the U.S.A., so heres a post that ignores the state of the current U.S gov and looks at why i like America...

1. NFL - I prefer playing (at university) and watching american football, to watching football.

2. Beer

3. Better cars - Bigger, and more comfortable

4. Films - Come on, i know about 'french films' and that but how many more U.S films have you watched...

5. The women - if they're not fat, they're fit.

Anyone else like to add anything??

The Invisible Man
29th Apr 2004, 20:01
Lake Keuka in New York State.... was lovely to spend time with relatives there.

What a relaxed way of life and such friendly people.

maggioneato
29th Apr 2004, 20:05
Great Hotels, good service, very friendly people, big cars, great roads, no rip off parking fees, no landing fees, huge airports, loos that flush themselves. Decent weather. Everything we don't seem to have here. 3 more weeks then I will be over there to sample all the things I like. :D

mattpilot
29th Apr 2004, 20:07
i like quite a lot about america (me = austrian).

comments on your points:

2. beer in germany is a whole lot better - in fact, any alcoholic beverage is better in germany!

3. Better? Maybe the ones they imported from germany :) I actually like germany/austria better when it comes to driving - nothing like going 153mph (my personal record) on the highway

5. Totally agree! There is something about woman, that have some native american blood in them, that i find irresistible :O

My main reason why i reallllly like the US is because of the aviation world! Cheap and you can fly anywhere - no questions asked!

You want it when?
29th Apr 2004, 20:24
The people, the cars (gotta love v8s), the variety, the "hometown", the pride in their country - something that the UK seems to lack these days.

The Nr Fairy
29th Apr 2004, 20:47
The Atlantic between here and there.

Boss Raptor
29th Apr 2004, 20:49
Food, flying, huge bookshops, clothes shopping :ok:

maxman
29th Apr 2004, 21:01
As above. The people and the cars. Chicago. And this place, stayed there a few years ago, but keep it under your hats, ok.:ok: http://www.shipnshoremotel.com/

VFE
29th Apr 2004, 21:20
Love the way American girlies go for us Brits because of our accents! :E

VFE.

tony draper
29th Apr 2004, 21:24
Home of the Colt SA Revolver and the Fender Stratocaster Guitar,the two finest examples of aesthetic functioning ergonomic design for the last two hundred years.

:rolleyes:

willbav8r
29th Apr 2004, 21:28
Citabria: $60 per hr
Seminole: $160 per hr
C152: $56 per hr

No landing fees. Incredible scenery. Oh yes, the chicks dig the accent......

But I do miss the Pubs and a good curry :sad:

Flaps39
29th Apr 2004, 21:30
Boss Raptor: was it a joke when you wrote "food" ?

:yuk:

The best part of USA is Savannah, Ga and GULFSTREAMS built there.

Ian Corrigible
29th Apr 2004, 21:30
Good thread.

Warm, friendly and generous locals ? Absolutely.

Cars ? Absolutely. My 'Vette offers as much performance and far more goodies than my European 'exotics,' costs a fraction of what they cost, and stays on the road far longer.

The roads ? It varies state by state. Some great highways, but then again the state of some of the roads is appalling (due to the level of HGV traffic and the overall heavier weight of your average American auto).

The women ? I'd have to disagree, but I guess it's a matter of personal taste. There are some real stunners here, no question, but I'd have to nominate Hungary or Romania as having the most beautiful women I've seen.

Service levels ? This is - IMHO - a common fallacy. In general, Americans are far more willing to put up with bad service, since complaining is - to some degree - seen as unpatriotic. By comparison, 'whiney Brits' have perfected complaining into such a fine art that they have - by and large - forced companies to put much more emphasis on customer service (I'm obviously excluding British Gas here). I personally believe that far more UK companies should set-up business in the USA and reap the rewards of what they've achieved.

Other aspects:

Space (non-NASA): fantastic amounts of open space per capita compared with most European and Asian countries.

Wildlife: a far greater breadth of wildlife than Europe. It's easy to knock Americans for their all-encompassing love of shooting, but we often forget that Europe pretty much eradicated all of its local wildlife that wasn't boring to look at (or wear...)

Attitudes: generally far more 'get up and go' than other nations (excluding some Asian states). Americans really do live to work (at least until they retire at 42...) rather than work to live.

It's a shame the insular view of the world that the American media has traditionally fed the population has left it so unprepared to take on its global responsibilities (and left it so easy to ridicule).

I/C

IB4138
29th Apr 2004, 21:41
Mr Draper

Why the Fender Strat?
They are 10 a penny these days.

Now a Fender Telecaster is a different beast altogether!

IMHO

con-pilot
29th Apr 2004, 22:08
Flaps 39 you have got to be kidding, you did not like the food in the United States!

My God where did you eat, only at Mc Donaldís?

We have the most varied food in the world. Even in the small city I live in you can get any ethnic food from any where in the world. We have German, English, Thai, French, Indian (both types, native and country), Chinese, Japanese, etc.

Now if you donít like a 2to3-inch Black Angus Beef Strip steak cooked over a charcoal or wood fire to medium rare thatís ok. If you donít like Southern style fried chicken with fresh corn on the cob, mashed potatoes and fresh green beans thatís ok. If you donít like slow smoked spare ribs, smoked chicken, smoked beef brisket with fresh grilled vegetables thatís ok. If you donít like fresh trout grilled outdoors with grilled tomatoes thatís ok. If you donít like fresh shucked oysters followed by shrimp Creole or Jambalaya and ice cold beer thatís ok. If you donít like fresh fish bought straight off the dock and cooked anyway you like thatís ok. If you donít like beef chili, chicken chili, vegetable chili, clam chowder, fish chowder, corn chowder, beef stew, chicken stew, fish stew etc, thatís ok. And hell I havenít even gotten to breakfast yet. But no matter what type of food you want I bet itís here in about any city in the US.

So please come back the US and give us another chance. Call me and I promise you better food next time.

Grandpa
29th Apr 2004, 22:17
(either genuine from USA , or all kinds of music inspired by Jazz around the world from Brazil to Europe and back to Africa).
Isn't it an enormous contribution to humanity?

mattpilot
29th Apr 2004, 22:25
Now if you donít like a 2to3-inch Black Angus Beef Strip steak cooked over a charcoal or wood fire to medium rare thatís ok.

Hahaha .. that reminds me of something funny. A couple of years back we went to a Silver Dollar steak house (i think) in the Tulsa area, and we got the biggest damn steak you could never eat! Its like they put half a cow on your oversized plate with multiple layers of rare cooked meat. The Deal was if you ate it all, you didn't pay. I managed to eat about 1/10 of it :)

ssultana
29th Apr 2004, 22:29
I think a good English Ale or German beer is suitable for pub drinking or at christmas time. However, at a party or on a hot summers day, you don't want Hoegaarden or John Smiths, surely a cool bottle or Bud or Coors that refreshes you and get's you in the mood, when you're bbq'ing ribs and listening to you favourite music (I hypocritcally write while drinking Un (or is it Une) Stella Artois? Surely favorite ppruning drinks could be another thread? Someone else start it, i don't want to dominate the pprune board)

Anyway, enough digression, i like american music too.

edited for p*** poor grammar

pigboat
29th Apr 2004, 22:34
Con-pilot, that boy ain't never been to Elizabeth's on 37th. Or Marino's. Or The Chart House. Or that place in the Olgethorpe Mall whose name I can't remember. ;)

lasernigel
29th Apr 2004, 22:55
American high tech companies..They keep employing me and asking me across on company expenses..Thanks Boss

tony draper
29th Apr 2004, 22:55
One was talking about the genuine item Mr IB438, built in America in the sixties not these modern Chinese thingies made of compressed cardboard.

finfly1
29th Apr 2004, 23:05
Interesting thread for me to read as an American. Before looking at some of the other responses, my first and only answer was the rather good system of parks ... National, state and county. But despite the setbacks of 9-11, private aircraft flying in the US is apparently still worlds ahead of much of the rest of the globe, and it is wrong of me to overlook that fact, or take it for granted.

Some of my own favorites, in no particular order include Yosemite, Grand Teton, Sequoia, Glacier, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Badlands, Canyonlands, Mesa Verde, Zion, Great Smokey, Everglades, Fire Island, and Acadia. I must hasten to add that my experience with some of these is off -season and in some instances, many many years ago.

And yes, there is still a lot of empty space between the parks out there in the west:-)

tony draper
29th Apr 2004, 23:33
Ah! but did you know twas a Scotsman who is responsable for you having all those parks and wilderness areas finfly1?

Jerricho
30th Apr 2004, 03:14
Citabria: $60 per hr
Seminole: $160 per hr
C152: $56 per hr

They're funny names for hookers!!? :}

Buster Hyman
30th Apr 2004, 03:57
Seattle...the only other place I can catch a Melbourne tram!:ok:

Nani
30th Apr 2004, 05:45
finfly1,

Have you been to Badlands? Right in the midst of it sits an unmarked Lakota reservation and taking a walking tour will make your hair stand in the back of your neck.
This is the land where shapeshifting stories are galore amongst the Sioux, bald eagles flies high and coyotes could sing some of the sweetest tunes.

Drive on to Thunder Basin Nat'l Grassland in WY where you can see buffalos roam freely.

Ascend Charlie
30th Apr 2004, 06:49
Jerricho thinks that Seminole is a funny name for a hooker?

Au contraire, son-in-law of Jerricho's MIL, it is a perfect name, when you consider what they rent out and what goes in it. You just gotta pronounce it properly.

But back to the thread.

America! It could be called the Land of Waste. There is always a plateful of uneaten food left on the table, because the servings are monstrous. In a charcoal steakhouse in Atlanta, I ordered a 6-oz steak, while those around me ordered 12-oz steaks. I ate all of mine, the others managed to eat half of theirs, and 6 ounces of each of their steaks went into the rubbish bin.

BUT IT WAS YUMMY!

As the others said, great roads, cars, buildings, enthusiasm, and service people keen to be in your face to serve you.:ok:

The Nr Fairy
30th Apr 2004, 07:36
Being a bit tiddly last night, I seem to have pressed the "Submit" button with my post incomplete.

I've spent a fair amount of time round Boston way - that's really nice. The scenery in California - especially the mountains and Death Valley has to be seen - it is beautiful.

Ease of access to aviation - the country's got to rate a 1.

Nice place to visit, but I'd not live there.

Grandpa
30th Apr 2004, 07:37
...that you ordered con-pilot.

Instead of beer, bring me a small bottle of dry white wine with oysters and shrimps, I hope you can chose a good one (I remember "Stewart" from West coast, was it Wa. or Cal. ? )

tinpis
30th Apr 2004, 07:57
Its surrounded by ocean and a long way from here.

80% of its inhabitants dont have a passport:E

Rollingthunder
30th Apr 2004, 08:14
Its surrounded by ocean

Well not quite.

Great steaks however.

airship
30th Apr 2004, 15:02
the people, those that I have met on this side of the Atlantic. OK, so that's a pre-selection - they've decided to see another part of the earth, or been sent there on behalf of their employers. Whatever, they have always been some of the most courteous, thoughtful, generous and honest persons I have had the privilege to encounter. I have flown across the USA several times but never stopped for more than a few hours.

John Denver :sad:

Gordon Lightfoot :E

Lobo, Jimmy Carter, Clint Eastwood, Steve McQueen, George C. Scott, Walter Matthau, Meg Ryan, ummmm, Meg Ryan, Meg Ryan, Meg Ryan, Sissy Spacek maybe, Meg Ryan... :ok:

Rollingthunder
30th Apr 2004, 15:20
Sorry but as Gordon Lightfoot would say...

I AM CANADIAN

and...

Out on runway number 9
Big 707 set to go
But I'm stuck here on the ground
Where the cold winds blow
You can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train
So I'd best be on my way...

in the early morning rain

airship
30th Apr 2004, 16:25
There's always one... been stormy hereabouts too! :E

and...

(although the sun's come out and it's 20įC...)

The fire is dying now, my lamp is growing dim,
The shades of night are lifting.
The morning light steals across my window pane,
Where webs of snow are drifting.
If I could only have you near,
To breathe a sigh or two,
I would be happy just to hold the hands I love,
Upon this winter night with you...

:)

HugMonster
30th Apr 2004, 19:48
The fact that the vast majority of Americans stay right where they are, and the majority of those who travel are the more outward-looking variety.

mtnflyer
30th Apr 2004, 20:34
of course there is nowhere perfect out there,but quality of life here is generally very good.have to agree with a couple of the posts here,in that th US has an amazing collection of national parks,and a very varied continent.
been here for ten yrs,and some things still infuriating;like the lack of knowledge of anything outside the borders,although a lot of people are very aware of this downfall.having said that,a well read,well travelled american is one of the most interesting people i've met,as they don't have many of the hang ups that we from europe do.can do attitude is one of the finest personality traits here.

Send Clowns
30th Apr 2004, 20:35
The fact that they annoy Huggy so consistenly :D

The fact that they have a realistic attitude to aviation. The helpfulness of strangers in the street (if you look lost in Atlanta they will come up and ask you if you need directions). I like the contradictions and variety - it is so hard to come up with absolute likes because the country allows space for exactly the opposite of whatever idea I have. For example I like the attitude of some people towards political correctness. They don't all lie down and play dead to the latest damaging fad. Yet the country virtually invented political correctness. There are people so wonderfully open to the whole world, yet others so content with their tiny part of it.

I absolutely love the variety of countryside I ahve seen over there. I have been across a lot of very different parts, passing in bus or car or studying for weeks in detail. Loved it.

Capt.KAOS
30th Apr 2004, 22:57
"What Do You Like About The U.S.A"

Actually, except the Chimp gang (...and Budweiser, Miller, Coors), there's quite a lot I like (and ventilated in an earlier thread).

tinpis
30th Apr 2004, 23:49
:(

Its surrounded by ocean

Oop...fergot Canady didnt I?

tobzalp
30th Apr 2004, 23:51
Karls Jnr Chicken Swiss

Bre901
1st May 2004, 00:07
tinpis
Oop...fergot Canady didnt I?

° y tambiťn olvidů Mťxico !

tinpis
1st May 2004, 02:09
° y tambiťn olvidů Mťxico !

Har har silly me I fergot where their work force comes from :}

West Coast
1st May 2004, 20:06
Looks like someone needs a remedial geography lesson.

Have you seen the wonders I can enjoy without a passport? I can travel many thousands of miles without one. I can enjoy different countries and cultures. I can travel from tropical locations in the Pacific to some of the coldest places in the world without excess restriction. I can be in the middle of everything in New York city to fishing glacial fed streams in northern Canada in hours. I can knock back a few Corona's while eating authentic tacos in Cabo. All without a passport.
I don't discount all that the rest of the world has to offer. I do know that once I see and do all that is available locally (reletive terms) that I can then explore elsewhere. Yes, I do have a passport and have travelled extensively in Europe (especially Ireland) Asia and to some degree Africa.

Davaar
2nd May 2004, 01:10
The answers to this question are endless. Here is one reason: The Durango and Silverton Railroad.

ehwatezedoing
2nd May 2004, 03:51
:ok: My girlfriend :ok:

av8boy
2nd May 2004, 04:42
Now if you donít like a 2to3-inch Black Angus Beef Strip steak cooked over a charcoal or wood fire to medium rare thatís ok.
Four words... Jake's Steaks, St. Louis.

Halfnut
2nd May 2004, 04:42
http://www.texasbikini.com/flips/04flip.jpg

Any questions?

tinpis
2nd May 2004, 05:01
Any questions?

Halfnut in a thousand years or so from now archaeologists excavating old gravesites in America will ponder the strange custom of burying two silicone bags with a womans body.