PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Disability Insurance in Australia and South Pacific.

oldwellsey
29th Apr 2004, 15:01
THIS IS WORTHY OF NOTICE TO ANY PILOT WHO HOLDS AN AVIATION DISABILITY INSURANCE POLICY ISSUED BY THE OLD AUSTRALIAN AVIATION UNDERWRITING POOL, NOW KNOWN AS QBE AVIATION. The Policy was first issued about 1985 in it's new format-'Plane Words Policy', and accompanied by a circular stating
there was no small print, which there wasn't, and that what you saw was what you got. This Policy in my case was world wide, 24 hour ground and air, with a special endorsement to cover very low flying, one of my duties of controlling cockatoos on a pecan orchard.
In August 1996 I was unfortunate to be in a car accident which was covered by that policy. The Insurer paid for the first years disability (I received brain damage, and went into deep depression, even to the extent of trying to terminate my life.) for the next 7 years we fought the Insurer. and finally ended up in the Brisbane Supreme Court,for a week Long Trial, which we lost because I couldn't remember things, and the QC "cooked" the evidence on instructions from the Insurer. This was the first time this particular Policy had been before the Courts. The "Learned Judge" changed the wording and meaning of the policy which results in it not being worth the paper it is written on.
The Appeal was lost because the Courts would not accept the Affidavits I had collected, which proved the"set-Up" and the High
Court refused to hear the case for the same reason,-you can't introduce new evidence. Both the Insurer's Solicitors, and QC are under investigation for misconduct, but even if proven we go into
the final years of our lives with nothing except a $300,000.00 debt, and a ruined reputation. All results are published on the Queensland Govt. Web pages for those who care to check.
Meanwhile, I implore anyone ( probably more in the Corporate Aviation Sector) to please check if you hold a Plane Words Policy from either AAUP or QBE Aviation to front them immediately for clarification. QBE Aviation are not going to sell this Policy any more because they don't have anyone licenced to sell it. It will be marketed under another of their Divisions. Does this effect their 'Plane Words Policy' covering the aircraft hull? That I can't answer, but the last time I was going to insure the fleet in 1996, the Premium had been doubled. They soon reduced it , but nether- the- less they tried. NONE OF THIS CAN BE CONSTRUED AS DEFORMATION AS IT IS ALL READILY AVAILABLE ON THE QUEENSLAND GOVERNMENT WEB SITE. As a final request, if any-one happens to have a copy of the Plane Words Policy Circular I would be very grateful for a copy. Even AAUP are reputed to have lost theirs. Brian Wells, ex LAME/Corporate/ Ag Pilot
Ph 07 46334314 [email protected]