PDA

View Full Version : CAA Acceptance of IAA ATPL

too_sleepy
29th Apr 2004, 10:43
Hi

Some help on this would be greatly appreciated.
I am currently studying for my ATPL exams in Ireland, under the Irish Aviation Authority. The school is Pan Aviation who are resellers of the Bristol material and are approved to give ATPL trainng in ireland.
Ireland is a JAA member state, so I assumed once my ATPL exams are complete I can travel to the UK to start my commercial training. Some people have mentioned that this might be a problem as I need to complete my training in the same JAA state.
The CAA web site doesn't offer much help. I've emailed them but haven't heard back from them yet.
The question is basically will the CAA accept the IAA issued JAA ATPL exams?

Thanks

Send Clowns
29th Apr 2004, 11:11
Not quite true. You need all of your training to be accepted by the state of licence issue. So if you want the UK to issue your licence, you need to know the CAA will accept your Irish training (I'd make sure to get it in writing first) or if you want the IAA to issue your licence you will have to make sure they will accept your training in the UK (with similar precaution).

Once you have a JAA licence you should be able to have it reissued by whichever state you are in permanently residence or working.

Alex Whittingham
29th Apr 2004, 11:13
The JAA rules say that member states can accept exam passes from other countries, not that they must. I'm fairly certain that the UK CAA will accept IAA passes because they have in the past but it may not work the other way around. The only way to be certain is to ask them. Suggest you try [email protected] if you haven't already.

Canada Goose
29th Apr 2004, 13:05
Mmmmmm.

I've sent a licensing query off to [email protected] and got a reply back saying .......

Thank you for your message which has been received by the CAA and will be dealt with as soon as possible. Please note that the immediacy provided by the email system does not imply an immediate response, and replies may take up to 10 working days.

That was nearly 13 working days ago .............. still waiting. I guess they must be real busy !!??

:*

CG

Tinstaafl
29th Apr 2004, 14:32
Nah....they're just enjoying lunches at the subsidised restaurant... :*

Alex Whittingham
29th Apr 2004, 15:04
That's not so good. If you need a reply urgently and the CAA are taking too long PM me and we'll try to shortcut the system. Alternatively, ask Paul Deevy at Pan Aviation to make the enquiry for you.

Martin1234
30th Apr 2004, 00:01
The arrangement need to be agreed by both states. I made the same request earlier this year (not from Ireland though) and the UK CAA replied that they would accept a valid pass in ATPL exams as long as the other aviation authority involved doesn't oppose the arrangement.

Canada Goose
2nd May 2004, 11:31
OK. So on the 14th day they replied. I have to say though, it wasn't quite the reply I was expecting. Rather than respond with a detailed answer (letter), I've been directed to a few sections of LASORS, some of which are a bit ambiguous.

Alex, thanks for your offer and info. I may well PM you after a trawled through LASORS again. In a perverse sort of way I was hoping to find out I wasn't able to fly and enjoy certain other privileges, however, it seems this isn't the case ! It's beginning to be a bit of a distraction when I have all this studying to do ! Now it's going to be down to will power to stop flying rather than by default !

See you in June !!

Cheers,
CG.
:ok:

birdlady
2nd May 2004, 13:23
Hi

Too sleepy I have had a similar problem. JAA are very funny about changing countries for your training. What I was told is that you can't start part of your course in one country and then move to another to do your practicle test. I was doing my JAA PPL here in SA, and was having problems with my school so I wanted to return to Ireland to fininsh my course. I contacted the IAA and they said that this was not allowed. So I had to stay here.

AS for contacting the CAA I have spent the last six weeks - phoning and emailing every day. Basically I have just finished my JAA PPL here in Sa and before the ink was dry on my test forms the school went bankrupt (problems mentioned above). I need a JAA radio licence before I can send the test forms in and of course there are no radio instructors to issue the test here in sa. I am desperate here. I do have a saa ppl and an saa radio licence. So alex or anyone else who can help it would be greatly appreciated. And as for the LASORS - :mad: :mad:

Thanks
Birdlady

Martin1234
2nd May 2004, 15:22
I read in the lasors that you are able to be credited the practical test for the issue of a UK general radio telephony certificate if you hold an international radio telephony certificate. Anyone knows if the UK CAA will credit the holder of a South African restricted radio telephony certificate the practical test for the issue of a UK general radio telephony certificate?

eolas
2nd May 2004, 16:19
hey
im from ireland also and have researched lots of different options in training and asked all the same questions as you but as far as i no you must do your flight test in the country you sat the exams.

too_sleepy
4th May 2004, 08:47
Thanks everyone for your replies. Once I hear from the CAA and IAA I'll let everyone know what they say.

birdlady, regarding your problem with the radio license. It may not be relevant in your case but I trained for my PPL in a CAA approved school in Florida. Because of time constraints I did not sit the RT practical although I did pass the RT written exam.
What this meant for me was that I could still get my CAA PPL license issued but could not fly in UK airspace with a UK registered aircraft. Since I'm now flying in Ireland it's not a problem for me. I will be sitting the RT practical at soom stage.
Hope this helps.