PDA

View Full Version : PNG Minister slams Qantas

Johhny Utah
29th Apr 2004, 00:46
taken from the e*trade website this morning:

PNG minister slams Qantas
29/04/2004 09:54:01 AM

A senior Papua New Guinea political figure slammed Qantas for its alleged threats to pull out of PNG if security at Port Moresby's Jacksons International Airport is not improved.

Qantas has allegedly threatened to pull out of PNG following a damning report on security at the airport by a visiting Qantas security audit team last month, according to local media.

However, a spokeswoman for Qantas denied the airline was breaking its code-sharing arrangements with Air Niugini, which allows it to sell seats on Air Niugini aircraft to Qantas customers.

PNG Transport and Civil Aviation Minister Don Polye has said the alleged threat by Qantas was politically motivated and arose because Australia could not secure a senior position within the PNG Department of Civil Aviation.

"It's a politically motivated decision by Qantas," Polye, who had just returned from a regional summit on aviation security in Hawaii, told The National newspaper.

Security at Jacksons International Airport has been the subject of on-going scrutiny since Qantas signed its code-sharing deal with the national carrier.

Qantas Crisis Manager Karl Sullivan told a security conference in Canberra last month that the Qantas team had found a number of problems with security at Jacksons International Airport.

"Certainly, the audit team we've had up there this week has reported a great deal of frenetic activity, catching up things, issuing passes where passes haven't been issued for a year, that sort of thing," Sullivan said.

Sullivan added that Qantas would reassess the future of its operations in PNG in light of the findings.

"At the end of the day, we look very carefully at what our future commercial arrangements in and out of Port Moresby will be looking at the cost versus the risk to the assets that we put in there," he said.

"Will it ever be as good as security in Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney? No never, it never will. But we can certainly make it a lot better."

Polye told The National that security at Jacksons International Airport in Port Moresby had been upgraded with the installation of two new x-ray machines, a metal detector and the employment of additional guards.

"I am therefore disgusted at the way Qantas has decided to pull out at this time when safety and security has improved," Polye said.

:rolleyes: I think that the following quote says a lot about the PNG politicians attitude to outsiders daring to suggest that they're doing some thing wrong:
...was politically motivated and arose because Australia could not secure a senior position within the PNG Department of Civil Aviation.

I dare say that there probably aren't many Australian civil servants who would want to take on a role within the PNG DCA - they'd probably prefer just to smash their heads against a brick wall repeatedly...;)

Animalclub
29th Apr 2004, 00:51
JU... sounds like you've been there!!

Seems strange that QF comment on Pt Moresby as I understand they don't fly there. I understand PX operates all the Aust-POM flights under code share arrangements.

Perhaps it's the baggage interline to other QF flights is the problem... easy to solve by checking the bags on arrival in Aust.

Capt Claret
29th Apr 2004, 01:59
Yesterday I was told of a recent incident where allegedly a waiter at a nearby hotel to Jackson's Airport believing he had not been adequately tipped for the previous evenings meal, was waiting onboard the aircraft the next morning, to allow the crew to remedy their oversight! :eek:

Sharpie
29th Apr 2004, 02:45
:ooh: Captain Claret,

If the rumour you quoted is definately true, I hope that the tech.crew submitted a report as only with continual pressure will the situation change. I note that the gun-toting pax to Singapore has at last been charged, out on bail but it does appear that pressure is forcing some reaction.
Sad that the airline, CAA and Security Company security management are not also charged.

TIMMEEEE
29th Apr 2004, 03:14
Johnny U - interesting posting.

Lets face it though, PNG is a corrupt regime that was prematurely given independence and through their own volition has been allowed to go down the toilet.

The roads are a joke, the infrastructure collapsing, airports poorly maintained (at last look there were enough Notams on AYPY to fill a small book) and law and order a farce at best.

The only way to ensure security is to get non Nationals as security and/or policemen.

As for the the DCA quote by Don Poyle - what a joke!!
Expats literally run the DCA anyhow with what scant resources are available.

The fact remains that this resource rich and beautiful country has been allowed to disintegrate and slide into rapid decay with little or no chance of recovery by its own politicians and senior public servants of which Don Poyle is one.

As for Poyle's quote, the average Australian and the aviation fraternity know full-well that Qantas was well justified in their actions and opinions.

Unless the UN go in there in the near future to quell all of the problems the Indonesians will.

Animalclub
29th Apr 2004, 08:46
At the risk of being on the end of Woomera's wrath I recently came across the following poem written on the occasion of Air Niugini's first flight POM HNL way back when...

Joe’s Jolly

The Boeing looked magnificent
A sight for all to see
And by this time tomorrow
She’d be in Waikiki

Festivities were under way
The conversation very loud
And no-one saw the small and furtive
figure in the crowd

And who could have suspected
As they tossed the bubbly down
He soon would have the title of
“The Most Famous Man in Town”

For this was Joe Arazi
Known from Wewak to Manumu
The man who would make history
On the flight to Honolulu

The terminal was brightly lit
With posters it was plastered
A desperate plan formed in Joe’s mind
“I’ll get on board that bastard”

Bert Wickham with his gun and club
Looked like a former Nazi
Our hero muttered to himself
“He won’t stop Joe Arazi”

As Joe munched on his chicken wings
And drained glass after glass
He mingled with the revellers
And pinched a boarding pass

Now Joe had long desired this trip
And didn’t wish to spoil it
To guarantee his privacy
He’d travel in the toilet

Perhaps he would have pulled it off
And nothing found amiss
Except for people screaming
“Christ, I’m busting for a piss

Now Garry, when he heard the news
He nearly had a chunder
For he was horror stricken
At Bert Wickham’s latest blunder

“A stowaway” he cried in rage
“This is surely is a stunt
Gimme that stick, I’m going back
I’ll kill the little c**t

So Joe was frog marched down the aisle
His face a mask of bliss
“You really must forgive me sir
You see I’m full of piss”

So Joe came back to PNG
His character well stained
He said “Don’t go economy
You do the trip all chained”

So Jo was marched off under guard
To face the great Joe Wal
Said Joe “I’ll go with Qantas next
Your seats are much too small”

So tourists when next you fly
No matter where you go
Don’t stuff around with airline staff
Be sure to book through Joe

Now it is to do with security after all.

Said with tongue in cheek':E

Definately relevant to this thread!! :} (Remember that incident well!)

Woomera

Sharpie
29th Apr 2004, 13:26
Yes sir, written by no other thn the great Double D of atc fame and author of the infamous Moresby Gliding Club poem of yesteryear!.;)

Taildragger
29th Apr 2004, 22:51
I remember when Incontinetal operated the 727 to Guam, the FAA did a security inspection and nearly messed themselves.!!
There was a great deal of heavy shoulder work and threats made as to what would happen if things didn't improve.
They never really did, but cosmetically there were some changes at the next inspection which sufficed before our heroes nuked the place. I don't think they lasted till the 727 with them on board took off. Happy days. It will NEVER get better till someone uses a bit of initiative and tries cutting off the flow of cash.
Why it still continues to be poured in heaven only knows.
What say you oh wise one.?? By the way, I joined the Gliding Club along with Chuckles, but on a shorter more vertical profile to Moitaka.....recall.?

Animalclub
30th Apr 2004, 08:37
Taildragger

If Australia cuts off the cash China or some other so called unfriendly nation will come forth with the cash. Is it worth the risk at the moment?

Taildragger
30th Apr 2004, 21:05
Animal Club ....

It's not only the cash. It's support services such as Military Training for personnel in Oz, Police, Corps of Engineers, Naval, Aviation, etc etc etc. I could go on. Tying aid to specific and accountable projects has a certain attraction to avoid the pollies getting their mitts on it. If that happens, it soon focusses the attention. I don't think China could match all that.
Doing nothing is not an option, and costs Aussie Taxpayers a lot of their hard earned Tax dollars. And Pomerania, and Europe, and the US and and and and etc.
What really gets right up my nose, is the fact that a lot of this never gets to the people who need it most at village level.
It eirher gets "Lost" or at best is used in an inappropriate way.
Certainly the lot of the rural poor is not improved.

Chimbu chuckles
1st May 2004, 07:24
Sharpie I find your comments re JAX Lax security profoundly interesting in light of your reaction, while PX MLO, to the smuggled live hand grenade on a PX F28.

I believe you verbally abused the Captain of said flight after he pointed out to yourself that frisking passengers at the airstair was not part of his job description.

Much better for the 'security staff' not to turn down the volumn on that annoying beeping metal detector...would you not agree?

Chuckles.

Animalclub
1st May 2004, 07:28
Taildragger

When I was last there... 1998... Ausaid worker said that ALL monies donated by Australia will be tied to a particular project. Is it still happening?

It gets turned to cash somehow... maybe suppliers to projects over billing and and and etc.

I agree with you.

You've always made sense!!

Pinky the pilot
1st May 2004, 08:39
Over twelve years ago when I was cruising around the Goilalas and 'the Jungles' on a daily basis I remember being asked nearly once a day by some of the older villagers;
"When taim bilong masta come back?"
I am now firmly convinced that the abovementioned scenario is the only solution to the problems that PNG faces.
Will it happen?
Only when hell freezes over!!!!
I weep for that country and (some of) it's people.
You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Animalclub
2nd May 2004, 12:40
I've lived in PNG on and off several times 1962 - 1998 ... always in the aviation business.

I love the place and, like Pinky, hate to see what so few of the local people is required to stuff the place up. Even in the late '80s "radical" students were talking about getting the Australian Government back and ridding them of their politicians!

Johhny Utah
3rd May 2004, 00:57
Animal club - you guessed correctly with:
It gets turned to cash somehow... maybe suppliers to projects over billing and and and etc.
While working in Lae, I flew numerous flights from Nadzab to Daru with contractors who were building the new police station.
We were taken for a walk through the building when it was under construction, and were proudly informed that AusAid was providing the $4 MILLION AUSTRALIAN for the project :oh:
This for a building that was to serve a local population no bigger than your average Australian country town - somewhere in the order of a few thousand people.
Needless to say, the contractors were patting themselves on the back with having scored such a lucrative contract. I don't blame them for taking advantage of the situation - but I was :mad: off at what a total waste of Australian tax payer dollars it all seemed...:suspect: