PDA

View Full Version : Cebu Pacific refleeting?

unruly
29th Apr 2004, 00:35
Been hearing some news about this Philippine flag carrier. Are they replacing their DC 9s? Saw an Embraer 170 parked in their ramp a few weeks ago and heard there was also a B717 from Qantas being demoed there? What gives?

Also saw their ad on TV last night. They sure know how to put one over their competition, I mean, stressing on time performance over PAL ( Is it still Plane Always Late?).

Cool banana
29th Apr 2004, 09:01
There are a total of 6 Qantas/Impulse/Jetstar Boeing 717-200 on the market for either lease or sale but are only available from mid 2005, Currently most the Qantas 717 have a all white paint scheme with no marking except for the rego

unruly
30th Apr 2004, 14:35
I guess Qantas must be trying to dispose their 717s really quick. Read on the news that Boeing is all ready to stop production of this series, pending the result of their latest marketing efforts for the 717.

Just to diverge from this topic, why is Embraer and Airbus bent on entering the 100 seat market when Boeing had a hard time selling their product? Is it all about marketing? Had a look through on the Boeing webpage and the 717 looks pretty ok, except of course Northwest still wouldn't let go of the dc9s. Embraer looks deadset on certifying their 195 and I think this is more in competing with the A318 rather than the 717.

e6b
4th May 2004, 12:12
the emb170 might be a bit too small for cebupac's requirement which calls for a 100 seater atleast, maybe the emb 190 but i heard that it isn't certified yet. also, news is that the emb's airframe is only good for 8000 cycles while the B717's is 30,000. the airbus318/9 requires a lot more ground support, compared to the B717, which doesn't make it suitable for cebupac's opns. wait till after the upcoming national elections and see what happens.

JTF
5th May 2004, 04:39
8,000 cycles on the EMB-190 airframe? Where did that stat come from? The airplane isn't even certified yet- maybe one or two test birds flying right now with certification not even contemplated until 2005. Who could possibly say how many cycles can be expected out of an airplane that is barely in it's initial test phases? I'm not really familiar with what would be the necessary requirements for an airplane to enter service out East, but the 100 seat market looks to be huge in the near future with 100 firm orders for the 190 by Jet Blue with another 100 options and just the fact that Airbus is making a 318 in the first place. The 717 hasn't doesn't so well, but Airtran does fly a bunch of them with quite a bit of success and the airplane itself is quite a nice platform regaurdless of how many have been or will be made.

My only guess as to why an EMB-170 may have been around was that it shares the same type rating as the 190/195 and it is currently certified for passenger service, at least in the US. All involved in the decision process for Cebu can check out the 170 and then picture a stretched version for what they are looking for in a 100 seater, if that is what they are truly looking for.

unruly
5th May 2004, 05:06
Have they considered going for the 737NGs? Most LCCs operate this airplane type. Especially the -800, a very nice piece of engineering from Boeing.

e6b
7th May 2004, 13:24
8000 cycles was the figure cebupac got from embraer for the emb170, not the 190/5. my apologies for the misunderstanding. isn't the 190/5 the stretched version of the 170?

the 737NG's are fantastic but may be beyond cebupac's budget.
my guess it will either be the B717 or the A319.