PDA

View Full Version : Another Constellation coming through the UK

Findo
28th Apr 2004, 22:10
I know some folks here have a sense of history. You don't get many chances to see such vintage transport aircraft these days. Due at PIK on Sunday and staying for a few days. Open for viewing.

:O :O

Swiss Connie (http://www.superconstellation.ch/)

Oshkosh George
28th Apr 2004, 23:20
Findo, I see from your profile that you may have INSIDE information!

Any idea of ETA? I would like to see it arrive!

(edited because I didn't realise you were (PWK?) ATC!));)

Conc
29th Apr 2004, 09:43
I have seen a schedule for the ferry flight posted in severalmagazines etc but has it even left Camarillo yet?

PPRuNe Radar
29th Apr 2004, 10:12
Conc

If you view their website (see link on Findo's post), they appear to be well on the way. :ok:

Liffy 1M
2nd May 2004, 09:50
There is an update at the link below and flight-tracker data shows it airborne from Stephenville, estimating landing at Prestwick at about 7.30 p.m. local Sunday, 2 May. Let's hope all goes acording to plan!

http://www.superconstellation.ch/news/currentNews.aspx?language=en

Flyin' High
3rd May 2004, 09:33
Landed PIK approx 18:00 local last night, opened to public for approx 2.5 hours likely departure times not yet confirmed, all depends on WX. However, Wed at latest.

BobAgg
3rd May 2004, 23:44
Who do we contact to be able to view the a/c?

Captain Airclues
4th May 2004, 08:55
I see that the departure has been delayed until Thursday morning. Unfortunately I will be in the terminal waiting for my FR flight at their proposed departure time. Could somebody please tell me where she is parked?

Airclues

604guy
4th May 2004, 11:35
This aircraft flew 1500' over top of us as we were landing at CYFC last week. It was a gorgeous sight!

BobAgg
4th May 2004, 13:17
Parked right in front of the Polar Air Hangar ( am, 4/5)

Its fairly well hidden away, best view is from the Cemetry next to the Polar Air and the new Ryanair hangar!

Enjoy

folkyphil
6th May 2004, 21:03
...anyone know if she got airborne from Prestwick today (Thurs 6th) or was the weather too dubious?
Superconnie's webpage has been unavailable all day.

gofer
7th May 2004, 14:20
The site is back up and she made it to LBG... Next stop MLH or BSL or EAP, depending on how your fancy takes you.

Looking forward to tomorrow... If I get good PIC's is there anybody who would host them (and for that matter sell their use... to be agreed).

Hope the weather improves - at present they found just a tiny patch of sun here in Basel, but can they grow it....

Cheers, Gofer:D :ok: :cool:

PPRuNe Towers
7th May 2004, 17:10
Arrived fine at LGB early afternoon. Team Towers got on board within minutes for introductions and photos.

Elements of Team Towers then went on to claim local knowledge for taxi directions to the main museum hard standing and our engineer was allowed to start one of the big round'uns.

All in all a cracking afternoon - I'll try to dig up a hosting site so I can put the snaps up. I think you'll be impressed by the transatlantic oiling system!

Regards
Rob

London Jets
7th May 2004, 18:40
For all you connie lovers I took this at the Fantasy Of Flight in Florida last year.

http://img65.photobucket.com/albums/v197/REFLAGG/AIRCRAFT%20POSTED/Constellation20031028.jpg

I don't think it is the one you are talking about coming through the UK, but I hope you like it anyway

LJ

Saab Dastard
7th May 2004, 19:55
Beautiful aeroplane.

My parents flew in one to Copenhagen on their honeymoon in 1960. Apparently my mother (who hadn't been on an aeroplane before) leaned over, pointed out the window and said to my father: "are there meant to be flames there, coming out of the engine"?

Fortunately, the fire was extinguished and an uneventful landing was made! Otherwise I wouldn't be able to write this!

SD

Avman
9th May 2004, 21:17
I happened simply by coincidence to be passing by Fox Field (Lancaster CA) last March and witnessed this beauty (N73544) performing a number of circuits. Shot some great slides in beautiful Californian wx. Wish I'd had my CAM so that I could have recorded the sound too. The Connie is a real aeroplane and still in my eyes the most beautiful airliner ever built.

Jets are for kids! ;)

Derf1
12th May 2004, 01:14
Last summer I took a ride in MATS Connie and took over 500 pictures. It was an incredible plane and the trip took us to JFK for two flyby's. If you have a minute you may want to read the story. If you have an hour, you may want to see some of the pictures. It is truly great to see more of these aircraft being restored. Mental Note: Buy stock in oil tomorrow! :p

Click below for MANY MANY pictures of my Connie Flight in NYC last year!
http://www.fromtheflightdeck.com/Stories/FMConnieMats/FMConnieMats.htm

I forgot to post above but I have a very sad sight for Connie lovers like me. It is a Connie crash test video. Click link below to see.
http://www.fromtheflightdeck.com/videos/videos/crashtestconnie.WMV
Oh the humanity!!!!!

BOAC
31st May 2004, 16:35
I saw her on the apron in Geneva on Friday looking fantastic - well done to the project team!