PDA

View Full Version : Boot Virus?

Luca_brasi
28th Apr 2004, 11:48
Hey all,

Need help with a rather urgent problem :bored:

My instructors PC only gets to the first Windows XP loading page (the one that says Win XP, Professional on it) before it restarts itself and tries to reboot before going in the same cycle.

Any attempt at going into Safe Mode produces the same result and the Emergency Backup Disks we have dont work for XP :mad:

He has been running PC-cillin and before it went into restart mode it detected 2 Jave based viruses though now we can't even get into the computer to clean them up or get them out of the boot registry. I havent been able to find anything about how to fix the problem when unable to get into XP, all the advice is to fix it from within but in this case it is impossible. I am going to try and format the PC and start again but if its in the Main Boot Record then this will be pointless wont it?

Lots of help urgently required! :ok:

Thanks heaps :D

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Apr 2004, 12:51
Luca_brasi,

Sounds like a corrupted system file. You need to use the WinXP CD to do a Repair of the OS.

Take Care,

Richard

Luca_brasi
28th Apr 2004, 12:54
Thanks Richard,

Was planning to do that tomorrow but had advice suggesting that it probably won't fix anything though for some reason they have boot virus stuck in their head.

Will try a format and reload of Win XP from CD and see how we go

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Apr 2004, 13:00
Luca_brasi,

If the Repair does not fix it, then you could do a fresh install, but you should not have to do a format with WinXP. (Unless you want to.) ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Luca_brasi
30th Apr 2004, 08:25
Well it sort of worked :)

I ended up reinstalling XP on the other partioned drive and it seems to be working fine. I still have to go and format the original drive that had XP and the problem on it. The XP repair system wouldnt work properly so a reinstall was the only way I could see to go.

Thanks for the help and will let you know if any other problems occur! :ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st May 2004, 15:43
Luca_brasi,

Too bad a Repair would not fix it. (But at least we know a full install will.) ;)

Take Care,

Richard